JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Oregon Senate has decided concealed handgun permits will not be concealed, over the objection of county sheriffs across the state.
Concealed handgun licenses are public records and senators affirmed their support of that policy by declining a vote on House Bill 2727, which would have allowed sheriffs to keep the permits confidential.

House lawmakers voted overwhelmingly last month to seal the licenses.

The divisive issue has pitted gun owners and sheriffs against reporters and the courts.

Supporters claim publishing the records puts those carrying handguns in jeopardy.

Senators disagreed.

“It is a bad idea to keep secret who has loaded guns in our communities, schools and public buildings,” Portland Democrat Ginny Burdick said
Earlier in the year, sheriffs from across Oregon sent letters to handgun permit holders, warning of media attempts to publish their names.

The Medford Mail Tribune sued Jackson County last year to force release of every concealed handgun permit holder on the books. A judge agreed and demanded the list be given to the newspaper.

That verdict was appealed and is now under consideration by the state appellate court.

Burdick said it was “very unlikely” the bill would come to a vote this late in the legislative session.

Baker County Sheriff Mitch Southwick told Oregon Public Broadcasting that instead of releasing the names of permit holders, he would give reporters the permit numbers.

Here's the link: <broken link removed>

Time to find some addresses of reporters and publicly post them.... I mean “It is a bad idea to keep secret who has pens and papers in our communities, schools and public buildings"....

I say that we actually do that and start the posting here. There has got to be some people on here that know some of them or where they live. We could compile a list here and then start a page with google maps locations on all their homes with arial pictures of them and links to directions. Wouldn't be too difficult and it may get some attention on them that they don't want.

“It is a bad idea to keep secret who has loaded guns in our communities, schools and public buildings,” Portland Democrat Ginny Burdick said

This lady is an air head. What real criminal is going to tell the community they have a loaded weapon before the fact a gun crime will be commited? This is one of the more foolish statements I've ever heard.
You really can't win for looseing when it comes to exercising a right, can you? First, you accomidate the social demands for a permit to carry concealed, and maybe because one does not want to let everyone know they have a weapon. Then any one with a press card can obtain that information and publish it? Well in that case, why not carry open carry? Beside the fact local police may take issue for whatever reason they may drum up, or some other concerned citizen that claims to be alarmed can get all hot and bothered about it.

Why even bother with permits if privacy is not the whole reason for hiding the damn gun anyway?

Isn't open carry illegal in a bunch of cities in Oregon now? I heard Portland, Beaverton, Independence, and several others have laws against open carry now.

TECHNICALLY.... cities can't have laws like that -- state law prohibits that... the city police could still ticket/arrest/harass you - but in court it technically wouldn't hold up.

Though I am not a lawyer, I do not play one on TV... but I have stayed @ a Holiday Inn Express before... :D

“It is a bad idea to keep secret who has loaded guns in our communities, schools and public buildings,” Portland Democrat Ginny Burdick said Earlier in the year, sheriffs from across Oregon sent letters to handgun permit holders, warning of media attempts to publish their names.

Unless I wear a picture ID name tag when I go into a public building, who else is going to know who I am? (Like they say at business meetings, gotta place the name with the face.) Then, when somebody is caught with a gun and NO permit, will Burdick or someone else then say we need to ban all guns because we have people not on the list?

It's a great set up. but that's just me being paranoid again. :s0131:

As much as I value both my privacy and my 2nd Amendment rights, I can't see how this is going to be a problem, especially when you consider that the unintended consequence may be a big increase in open carry, which would drive ol' Ginny right over the edge, and she's crazy as a rabid rat anyway.

BUT . . . The first time we find out a CHL holder has been somehow harmed by this new law, we need to make sure we don't let any of these "lawmakers" off the hook. We need to begin holding these people accountable anyway, really, or our culture and society are toast, and here's a good way to start.

I'm not sure posting politicians' or "journalists' " addresses on this forum or anywhere will send the right message. They'll twist it like "the gun nuts are stalking us", and that would backfire.

Patience, lads, give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves. This is a good time to be laying low and letting them play their cards.

One concern that is not too far fetched is that if/when some news agency -in the name of public awareness/safety- publishes a list of names and addresses, this could provide some people with a "shopping list". Some criminals are already stealing insurance and registration paperwork out of cars to find good targets so why not just check the newspaper--or worse yet-- the county websites if the are forced to make the info public.

:s0159:

One concern that is not too far fetched is that if/when some news agency -in the name of public awareness/safety- publishes a list of names and addresses, this could provide some people with a "shopping list". Some criminals are already stealing insurance and registration paperwork out of cars to find good targets so why not just check the newspaper--or worse yet-- the county websites if the are forced to make the info public.

:s0159:

That is a valid threat... I personally wouldn't dare attempting to break into a house that is known to have guns... but that is just me.... I don't follow the "criminal lifestyle"

Back around 1980 the Corvallis Gazette-Times thought itself very bold by publishing the openly available full list of Benton County CCL holders. Of course there was no reason for doing this, they just wanted to sell some more papers.

The results were almost unsurprising: mostly Judges, attornies, and small store owners (like me.) The surprise was that the vast majority of license holders were FARMERS. Rural theft was commonplace then, as now.

In sum, the effect of the publishing was completely underwhelming. In a couple of days it was all forgotten---nobody really cared........................elsullo :cool:

Find and publish the private details of every lawmaker who voted to make CHL information public, and see how that shoe fits on the other foot. Let them scream and yell. While we're at it, same with the reporters and editors who went after the info in the first place. Again, see how that works for them. Let them think the gun nuts are after them... so what? It may well be some criminal type would figure since they wanted the CHL info published, they don't have concealed weapons permits themselves, and the likelihood their homes are unprotected is high, making them an easy mark. Oh, and don't forget the OWNERS of the newspapers who are so crass as to publish such private information.
Oh, and open carry might not be such a bad idea. When folk start getting alarmed and asking questions/voicing that concern, simply say "well, our permits to carry out of sight have all been made public, so everyone can know I carry anyway, so why not just carry it openly, saving them the time and hassle to go and look it up?". Maybe enough plain folk will get up in arms sufficiently to implore their lawmakers to make such information private again,
Of course, the ultimate revenge, and oh so sweet, would be to see to the non-reelection of that wackjob Ginny, and her other cohorts who voted to make private information public. In udda woids, trow da bumms owt.

Find and publish the private details of every lawmaker who voted to make CHL information public, and see how that shoe fits on the other foot. Let them scream and yell. While we're at it, same with the reporters and editors who went after the info in the first place. Again, see how that works for them. Let them think the gun nuts are after them... so what? It may well be some criminal type would figure since they wanted the CHL info published, they don't have concealed weapons permits themselves, and the likelihood their homes are unprotected is high, making them an easy mark. Oh, and don't forget the OWNERS of the newspapers who are so crass as to publish such private information.
Oh, and open carry might not be such a bad idea. When folk start getting alarmed and asking questions/voicing that concern, simply say "well, our permits to carry out of sight have all been made public, so everyone can know I carry anyway, so why not just carry it openly, saving them the time and hassle to go and look it up?". Maybe enough plain folk will get up in arms sufficiently to implore their lawmakers to make such information private again,
Of course, the ultimate revenge, and oh so sweet, would be to see to the non-reelection of that wackjob Ginny, and her other cohorts who voted to make private information public. In udda woids, trow da bumms owt.

:s0113:.....:s0166:......:s0152:

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Oregon Senate has decided concealed handgun permits will not be concealed, over the objection of county sheriffs across the state. Concealed handgun licenses are public records and senators affirmed their support of that policy by declining a vote on House Bill 2727, which would have allowed sheriffs to keep the permits confidential.

House lawmakers voted overwhelmingly last month to seal the licenses.

Only after Judy Steigler (D-Bend) gutted the origional bill offered by OFF and made the release of info voluntary.

The divisive issue has pitted gun owners and sheriffs against reporters and the courts.

Supporters claim publishing the records puts those carrying handguns in jeopardy.

Senators disagreed.

The Senators killed the bill after the gutting which was OK with OFF.

"It is a bad idea to keep secret who has loaded guns in our communities, schools and public buildings," Portland Democrat Ginny Burdick said.

NOT.

-snip

See OFF Alerts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR