JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
TECHNICALLY.... cities can't have laws like that -- state law prohibits that... the city police could still ticket/arrest/harass you - but in court it technically wouldn't hold up.

Though I am not a lawyer, I do not play one on TV... but I have stayed @ a Holiday Inn Express before... :D

OPEN CARRY IS ONLY BANNED IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CHL. IF YOU HAVE A CHL YOU ARE COMPLETELY EXEMPT. :s0155:

Mike, keep yer powder dry, there'll be a place for you on the wall.

and Castle Fox, yes, love this country enough to work toward fixing it. You cite one of the most broken aspects of it.... values being upside down.

Did you know it is a felony in Thurston County (Olympia area, where I live) to shoot a CAT? Even a feral nuisance cat? Musta been some dedicated pussy-wuvvers on the county board when THAT one got passed.

Last Edited:
hey, I just typed pus sy, as in pussycat, pussywillow, pussyfoot, in the last line..... where it now says "bubblegum-wuvvers". I've been wondering why I've seen bubblegum so many times lately, thought it was one of those new "in" things I got left "out" on.

I meant to say "puddy-wuvvers", as in cat fanciers, kitty crazies, feline fanatics..... funny, how "filtering" software filters some things that don't need filtering..... can you imagine how hilarious it would be whenever Tweety Bird sees Sylvester coming, he says "I t'ot I taw a bubbowgum-tat". AAAAAACCCckkkkkk.... I WEELY DID tee a bubbowgum tat, wook owt, wun fast.......

Aw bubblegum, it still don't work right.....

Last Edited:
This is very disappointing... I just caught wind of it today... :s0058:

I'll have to thank Judy if I run into her.

I will say that Deschutes County has made land ownership records (names, addresses, etc) available online if you know where to look. If I was looking for that type of data I might try http://www.deschutes.org/dial

Try a name search and see if you turn up anything. :)

Weather this law is harmful or not i like my privacy and should some news agency publish my name on a list of CHL holders to that is an invasion of privacy. The part of this that really honks me off is the fact that i as a CHL holder had no say in it whatsoever total BS.

OPEN CARRY IS ONLY BANNED IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CHL. IF YOU HAVE A CHL YOU ARE COMPLETELY EXEMPT. :s0155:

This is correct. Here's how it works:

In general, local governments are forbidden by statute from regulating firearms at all. All such regulation must come from the Oregon legislature. But there are exceptions to this "preemption" statute.

One exception permits counties and cities to regulate the discharge of firearms, though there are limits placed on their authority to regulate even that (e.g. target shooting on public land). Another exception permits cities or counties to regulate "the possession of loaded firearms in public places," which includes your car under a recent Oregon Court of Appeals decision. Several cities in Oregon (including Portland and Salem) have banned possession of loaded firearms in public, effectively outlawing open carry. Except...

BUT local ordinances regulating possession of loaded firearms in public do not apply to certain classes of people, including CHL licensees. So, though a convoluted set of steps, if you have a CHL, you may carry concealed or open anywhere in Oregon, even in those locales that ban open carry for everyone else. (There are exceptions that ban all guns in courthouses, correction facilities, and the like, but you get the point). If you don't have a CHL, you can't carry concealed anywhere, but you can still carry open so long as you aren't in one of those locales that bans open carry.

That said, a person in control of his /her premises does not have to allow you to carry in those premises. So, if your grandmother wants to forbid you to carry (either concealed or open) in her house, she may do so. And she has the right to throw you out if you won't leave the gun outside. Same for a business. If Joe's Steak-n-Suds doesn't want employees or patrons to carry in the restaurant, Joe doesn't have to let them in with their guns. That's Joe's right to control his premises.

The big question before the courts, legislature, and state agencies now in Oregon is this: May a public entity, such as a school, city office, or state-owned gift shop restrict you or its employees from carrying in those premises? Is that more like a business controlling its premises (permitted) or more like a local ordinance trying to regulate firearms locally (not permitted)? Stay tuned. There will be a lot of action around that question in the coming year.

We having fun yet?

Last Edited:
I spoke with the Washington County Sheriff's office today to find out exactly how someone could get my info. The woman I spoke with told me it was GOOD thing that it did not pass. She also said that they absolutely will not, under any circumstances, revel someones info due to security reasons. She said 99.5% of CHL in Washington County have it for personal protection and will not jeapordize that. I dont know what theyll do if their forced by court order.....hopefully challenge it.

Marion County also has the option for a CHL holder to request that their info be kept private as well... I'm not terribly worried about it as there are WAAAAY easier targets of opportuntiy for the BG's to hit... I have a full 6' fence on the 2 sides and back of my property, a THICK 6' tall hedge accross the front, and a quite large, MEAN Yellow lab (and I seriously mean... he's MEAN) who has free run of the property & doesn't let a FRUIT FLY onto the place w/o raising all kinds of ruckus, plus the house has a monitored alarm system... and the Woodburn P.D. are johnny-quick to alarm respones... just ask my 11-yr. old daughter who messed up the disarm code after school one day... they were here in less that 6 mins.!! :s0155:

As for any anti-gunner protests that may picket my front sidewalk someday... I'll open the front gate and refer them to my MEAN yellow lab who would LOVE to address their concerns. :D

Stomper, just name yer dog Ruger, or some such, and when the goons come round to harrass you about having a CWP, just tell them "well, Ruger here's so dangerous, and since she's concealed behind the fence all the time, I figured I had to go get a Concealed Weapon Permit...... keep up this BS and I'll be more than happy to give you an up close and personal introduction to her...... if you survive, maybe you'll understand why I had to get the CWP.

Great, start calling him Dan Wesson every time, and before those lists are made public and some slimeballs DO something with them, he'll be responding to either Dan OR Wesson..... same schtick when the goons are on the sidewalk.....

Yeah, I used to have a little guy named Brandy. He had a bit of attitude when he set himself to, but in general he was a sweetie. Let anyone come near either my vehicle or the house, though, and he was all teeth and snarl. I sometimes called him Snarlin' Brando. One time he was in my Kenworth, it was backed into a freight bay, I was in the dryvan schlepping freight. Warm day, dab window down. He was asleep.... until someone backed into the next slot, on my driver's side. All was OK until the other driver stepped up on my cab step to readjust his mirror... he'd clipped it on mine, backing in.... Brandy flung himself half out the window, cutting loose with his shrill and vicious bark, RIGHT in the poor sap's right ear!!! He about jumped out of his skin!!! To save face, he came stomping onto the loading dock, charging right into my trailer (by then halfway unloaded) and started chewing ME out!!! I had all I could do to keep from cracking up, but I held it together to keep from making the guy go off on me. I made some inane excuse about how he's dumb enough to think its HIS truck, and so protects it whenever he thinks its in danger. Stupid dog anyway..... snicker snicker. Good Brando. Poor other driver, though.... he was insulted more than anything, that a dumb dog could take him (BIIIIGGGG TUFFFFF TRUCKER with COWboy boots on hims foots) by surprise. He knew he'd been had.... and so did I. What else could he do but dump on someone??!!?? Funny......

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top