JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I finished up some work in my office today and decided to knock off and hit the reloading bench for awhile this evening before the wife got Gome from work. Everything was set up Jase as I had left it a week ago on my Hornady LNL. I put some more primers in the tube, splashed some more powder in the hopper, ran a few practice rounds to check settings... everything was looking great. Hit the button on the case feeder loaded up the feed tube and on about the 6th round, the press got stuck and wouldn't cycle... I pulled down on the handle but not hard to see if I could figure what was jammed while getting down at eye level on the press... suddenly WHAM the handle went down to the stop, scared the crap out of me and everything danced around on the bench... the next thing I noticed was that there were two shells in the slot #1 of the shell plate and the shell plate was only half rotated... Further looking and I realized that the left hand pawl had sheared off on the press.... I swear I wasn't reefing on the handle, just mild pressure, but sure as hell, I found half the pawl on the floor....
I guess I will be calling Hornady in the morning.... I the meantime.... I slide out the LNL and slide in the Dillon 650 on the bench :D

Oh, and in case you wonder why it's reason number 42... it because it's the answer to life and everything in the universe :D:D:p

Yikes!

I'm thinking I may need a new pawl as well. Hangs up on the down stroke every 5th or so.

Thinking I may have scored that one pawl arm when I was practicing before starting for real.

Looks to be "relatively easy" to swap out. Just haven't looked into it yet.

Just google foo'd, the part I'm thinking I need is a new index wheel. The thing at the bottom with the arms. The pawls are the 2 little spring loaded nubs which index it. Your lnl should have come with a spare pawl...

Last Edited:
Yikes!

I'm thinking I may need a new pawl as well. Hangs up on the down stroke every 5th or so.

Thinking I may have scored that one pawl arm when I was practicing before starting for real.

Looks to be "relatively easy" to swap out. Just haven't looked into it yet.

Just google foo'd, the part I'm thinking I need is a new index wheel. The thing at the bottom with the arms. The pawls are the 2 little spring loaded nubs which index it. Your lnl should have come with a spare pawl...

Oh my gosh... You're right; I completely forgot about the spare parts kit that came with the LNL... Thanks for reminding me.... Now if I can just remember where I stored it :rolleyes:

I havent played with the LNL or the 650, but I do have a 550 at home.. and man is it one rock solid press, 3 house moves and 7 years.. roughly 15k loaded on it and I have not had to adjust anything.. really no parts to wear out as long as you keep alittle lube in the machine.

I kept my RCBS press after I upgraded to a Lee turret press.
I do all the decapping & resizeing on the old press to keep the Lee clean. Thinking of switching to the 3 hole turrets since the resize/decap die is in the RCBS....
You could just get a universal decapper die for your single stage. Then size and prime on the turret. That's how I do it actually it works out quite well.

Good thought there, I do have one. I actually decap, clean primer pockets (cut out military crimp, if any), resize then tumble really clean then prime all on the RCBS. I did try the primer thingy for the Lee but I could not get it to work every time so I just do it like I did before the upgrade. I might better watch a few more utube video's...:eek::eek::eek:o_O;)

Well, I called Hornady today and explained my situation. I screwed up, no two ways about it and I told them so. They're still sending me two new pawls and a support bracket "in case it was damaged" in the process... All free :D... In the meantime, I found the spare they sent with the press so I'm up and running again :D:D

I have heard mixed reviews on Hornady and their customer service, but this makes twice I've called them and gotten outstanding service!

Good thought there, I do have one. I actually decap, clean primer pockets (cut out military crimp, if any), resize then tumble really clean then prime all on the RCBS. I did try the primer thingy for the Lee but I could not get it to work every time so I just do it like I did before the upgrade. I might better watch a few more utube video's...:eek::eek::eek:o_O;)
I didn't consider your thingy not working.

No, is from the original BBC series, last show. The guy had a bag full of letters. He and his partner figured to get the question to answer he had to pull out the letters for the question. Which is, "What is 6x7". It was really a screwed up story. All most Monty Python like. The movie did not do it justice.

Well, I called Hornady today and explained my situation. I screwed up, no two ways about it and I told them so. They're still sending me two new pawls and a support bracket "in case it was damaged" in the process... All free :D... In the meantime, I found the spare they sent with the press so I'm up and running again :D:D

I have heard mixed reviews on Hornady and their customer service, but this makes twice I've called them and gotten outstanding service!

Nice! I sent them a quick note, and they're sending me out a new index wheel free. Haven't even had a chance to register my press for warranty & told them such too. Pretty decent!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews