JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all -

The bluing on the receiver of my 70's era Winchester 94 is totally going to crap, and it bothers me. Any suggestions as to where a fellow could go to have it redone? Bonus points if it's a place within an hour or two of Salem, so
I could just drive it there rather than have to ship it? Thanks in advance.

**Actually, I suppose this belongs in Gunsmithing and Repairs. Not too sound like a noob, but if I have to access to do it at all, I don't know how to move the thread. Perhaps a mod can do so if they deem it appropriate? Thanks..!**

Check with Oly's and see whe is doing hot tank blueing in the area. Used to
be a guy at Grand Island, but I don't know if he still is doing it. PM me for
details.

70's era 94 receivers have a nasty reputation when it comes to blueing. It's
the metal---they tend to come out greyish or even plum colored, darned
near anything EXCEPT blue/black. Consider duracoat or ceracote or one
of the other gun finishes---might be less of a headache in the long run.

Check with Oly's and see whe is doing hot tank blueing in the area. Used to
be a guy at Grand Island, but I don't know if he still is doing it. PM me for
details.

70's era 94 receivers have a nasty reputation when it comes to blueing. It's
the metal---they tend to come out greyish or even plum colored, darned
near anything EXCEPT blue/black. Consider duracoat or ceracote or one
of the other gun finishes---might be less of a headache in the long run.

I could not duracoat a 94, maybe just me!! But was not aware of the bluing issues though. Good luck on your quest OP.

Lots of good suggestions, thanks. I think Rangemaster is probably closest to me, maybe I'll run down and see what they say about it first.

As far as other options than bluing, ie cerakoting, I wouldn't entirely rule it out, as this is meant to be a shooter, not a collector. (The 1898 made 94 in 25-35 that was originally my great grandfathers, than my grandfathers, now my fathers, and one day mine will be my collector 94.) The bluing on the barrel is holding up fine, so I just thought it would be cheapest/easiest to redo the receiver. I assume there is no such thing as a cerakote that looks enough like bluing to get away with only doing the receiver in it? Is it just going to be a fact of life that this rifle is not going to like bluing, or is it a question of how it's done?

you need to hot blue it. but they will turn from plum, to copper, to blue. they come out with many different colors.it has to do with the type and hardness of the metal.no real way around it.

The problem is that several generations of Winchester Model 94 had copper-washed receivers. The receivers will come out dark, but as they cure, they will take on a gold tint. The barrel and the other parts will blue fine with just a hot salt blue, but the receivers from this era need to be rust blued. Somewhere I have a rough list of what year receivers are treated like this. Good news is, rust bluing can turn out very nice...

As for who is set up for that, I'm sure Todd at Koonce Custom could probably do the work, but he seems to have a very long waiting list right now...

you could find someone who does the case hardening finish and have a conversation piece. I'm sure that someone will be less than thrilled at this suggestion for fear of reducing the value of their rare case hardened 94...

Question for the more knowledgable:

I've got a couple of post 64 '94 carbines. Both of them are prone to
freckling and finish wear on the receivers. Never really considered having them refinished--they are working guns, function and accuracy are way
above pretty on my list.

BUT--if I did have them re-blued, would it be durable? Or would it just
start degenerating at the same pace as the original finish? The rust freckling
that 70's era '94s seem prone to seems to come from the pores of the metal.

Question for the more knowledgable:

I've got a couple of post 64 '94 carbines. Both of them are prone to
freckling and finish wear on the receivers. Never really considered having them refinished--they are working guns, function and accuracy are way
above pretty on my list.

BUT--if I did have them re-blued, would it be durable? Or would it just
start degenerating at the same pace as the original finish? The rust freckling
that 70's era '94s seem prone to seems to come from the pores of the metal.

It will give you the opportunity to take care of them from the origin of the finish. As long as you take care of the gun properly, it should be fine.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top