JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I disagree... Velzey does an amazing invisible protector thread job on Ruger MK's... I don't see it hurting resale value one bit; if anything you can add $150 to the selling price.
On a gun that such a limited number were made, I'd pass on the thread job. On a regular production gun that were made by the millions, go for it.

You can pick up a plug and play Tactical Solutions upper for $200 and convert back to the original cinfig . I did that with my grandpops Ruger standard just did not like the idea of ruining it .
1698758224473.png

Last Edited:
Why is there so much interest in the mk II? I've had several people offer to buy mine but haven't really heard an explanation why. I know the mk III was real popular with the internal lock but I thought the mk IV was improved.

Why is there so much interest in the mk II? I've had several people offer to buy mine but haven't really heard an explanation why. I know the mk III was real popular with the internal lock but I thought the mk IV was improved.
I've heard that too.
Some Big Medicine with the MkII
I have a MkII 5-1/2" bull that I bought in '82 and haven't shot it in decades.
I wonder what the magic is ?

NO magazine disconnect, and NO chamber indicator flag are 2 reasons many prefer the MKII. They are also the original 1949 Bill Ruger design with a slide lock/realease which allowed for last shot hold open. They are the perfect Mark IMO.

I have 3 MK's right now, a II and 2, IV's. The only MK I ever had that I hated was MKIII 22/45. The polymer frame and extra damn safety made it far too easy to brick it. After a woman at Ruger walked me through fixing it first time at least I knew how but it was still a PITA. I LOVE the IV design and hope whoever came up with it made big bank. It is just SOOO much easier to deal with.

NO magazine disconnect, and NO chamber indicator flag are 2 reasons many prefer the MKII. They are also the original 1949 Bill Ruger design with a slide lock/realease which allowed for last shot hold open. They are the perfect Mark IMO.
I bought my MkII in Grants Pass from a dealer that was an FN FAL guy.
Can't remember his name.
$180 IIRC

I'm firmly in the camp on the MKII. Also with those recommending a trigger and little else to your "curio".

A Volquartsen trigger went into this one. Crimson Trace grips make for the best trapline gun ever invented.

This gun beat every decent target .22 pistol in my stable for accuracy in an unscientific comparison using my favored hunting ammo.

1703120574914.jpeg

I was told that other than the MKIV, The MKII was easier to work on - dismantle and reassemble. The MKIII was a POS for working on.
My MKIII was the only gun I owned that I had to get the instructions out to take down and put back together and still managed to brick it several times. They sell a bushing to eliminate the damn mag safety and I probably would have bought one if I had kept it. I just got so tired of dealing with it I re homed it.

I recently acquired a ruger 22/45 and not sure what model it is. Serial number look up dates it as a 2003 model on box says 00189 date of 02/05/2003.

Left side of barrel has stamping of .22 cal long rifle with target under it.

Any way to find more info on it? Value maybe?
Thanks

Picked up another hand gun as well, 1993 colt government pocketlite in .380

image.jpg

My MKIII was the only gun I owned that I had to get the instructions out to take down and put back together and still managed to brick it several times. They sell a bushing to eliminate the damn mag safety and I probably would have bought one if I had kept it. I just got so tired of dealing with it I re homed it.
Heck, I had to pull up the video online. Every. Single. Time. I finally bought that bushing from Tandemkross. It seemed like it really helped immensely the first time after installing it. Then the next time, not so much - back to the video. I have an MKIV now, so the MKIII rarely gets shot. And when I do, I usually just clean it without disassembly. The MKIV beats any other .22 pistol I own as far as ease of takedown, and there is no close second.