JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Man those are some creepy looking animals !
Worse than my neighbor's cat!
At least the cat is friendly!
IMG_0732[1].JPG

I know this isn't "Northwest Hunting" but I found this story strange and wondered if it was really a thing in the UK and if they are hunted there.....

@tac and anyone else who may know about this phenomenon.

Escaped weird but real raccoon dogs menace the English countryside

Another quote - 'According to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, raccoon dogs hail from eastern Asia but have been imported to Europe, although the organization strongly discourages keeping them as pets.

"Raccoon dogs are wild animals," reads the RSPCA information page on the species. "They need a great deal of space and their needs simply cannot be met in a typical household. They're also extremely smelly, as they use scent to communicate with one another."

Somehow, an undisclosed number of these animals have gotten out of wherever it is they are usually kept, and are being a RPITA to the local fauna.

As noted, these RARE animals are NOT part of the natural landscape of the UK, no more than camels, rhinoceroseseses or penguins. We have a lot of them, but do not feel it necessary to allow them to roam the countryside so that we can shoot them. Hunting in UK is not a common-use term. Deer are stalked, not hunted, as are wild boar and feral goat, and that's it. There just ain't nothing else that ain't a pest or vermin or, a game bird. Game birds, BTW, are not hunted, they are simply 'shot' or 'taken'.

Until I read your [post, I'd never heard of this animal, and would have happily bet on it being a photo-shop figment of somebody with too much time on their hands.

As for 'menacing the English countryside', that, Sir, is total tosh, as an Englishman might have noted. Not being an Englishman of any kind, I'll simply use the term B*llshirt.

PS - There are no 'Coon Dogs in UK, because there are no raccoons for them to put up in a tree. In fact, chasing down ANY animal with a dog is illegal, thanks to America's favourite British politician, the megathonically loathsome Tony B. Liar.

Last Edited:
Seeing as how Mrs tac has taken a bunch of old folk to a nearby garden centre for a spending spree, I was at something of a loose end and did a bit more research on these formidable carnivores... Here is the take from another source -

Two "potentially dangerous" raccoon dogs have escaped from an enclosure.

It is believed the Japanese mammals - also known as tanukis - dug out of the pen in Big Lane, Clarborough, at about 06:00 BST on Tuesday.

One was photographed a short time later at a nearby farm and is reported to have attacked a goat.

Nottinghamshire Police urged the public not to approach the animals as they are "potentially dangerous" and not domesticated.

Mandy Marsh, 53, told the Independent their pet goat and pony were attackedby one of the animals.

"I heard such a terrifying noise like I had never heard before," she said.

"It was screaming. We ran out and this animal - we now know it's a raccoon dog - was trying to attack our goat.

"The raccoon dog was trying to kill it. It was absolutely crazy. It was hissing and screaming and snarling. It was going absolutely mad."

Ms Marsh said she and her husband shooed the animal away with "great big pieces of wood" before it returned and cornered a dog walker who got away. (Editor's Comment - times like this that the application of a couple of buck-shot cartridges would have been a whole lot more useful - and permanent)

The owner of the raccoon dogs said the animals were "less dangerous than a fox" and every effort was being made to find them.

Anyone who spots the dogs is advised to call 999.

Raccoon dogs
_107153723_gettyimages-971545456.jpg Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
  • Native to the forests of eastern Siberia, northern China, north Vietnam, Korea and Japan
  • Now widespread in some European countries due to escapes
  • Omnivores that feed on insects, rodents, amphibians, birds, fish, molluscs and carrion (Editor's Comment - NOT ponies or goats, you'll notice.)
  • The RSPCA "strongly" discourages people from keeping them as pets
  • "Extremely smelly", the charity says, as they use a scent to communicate
Source: RSPCA

They ought to outlaw them. I mean, if they get to breeding? Looks like rough times ahead.

Last Edited:
Kind of a crazy lookin little fella, isn't he? Pretty small, too. I'd think a good kick would rid one of any problem.
I wouldn't kick at one any more than I would an actual RACCOON ! (and I stupidly did this once)
I'm thinking a .357 round would 'better' rid one of the problem....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads