JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
2012 Washington State Hunting Regulations said:
Closed Statewide, Year round
• Lynx
• Pygmy Rabbit & Jack Rabbit

You can hunt Cottontail's and Snowshoe's, though, so know your speices.
Season runs through 3/15 of next year with a limit of 5 a day or 15 total, single or mixed.
As for a place to hunt, I'd check around Snohomish and east, to the foot of the mountains.
Maybe somewhere along the passes...of course, it's getting pretty thick up there about now.
If you're down south, I seem to remember sections of highway 18 were pretty "rural".
Maybe around Black Diamond?
If you wanna come west, across the sound, I used to hunt down in Tahuya when I was a kid (deer and phesant).
Unless you live in the metropolitan sections of King Co., I'm betting there's someplace available to you that's fairly close by.

Nice thing about Rabbits, you can get by with the inexpensive low-brass stuff, although with the temps where they are now (and I expect it'll get a little colder before it starts warming up), I'd use a little heavier shot size, maybe 7.5's.
If you already have, say, Duck & Phesant #6's, that'll be ok, too.

....dang, now I wanna go rabbit huntin'! :s0054:

Dean

Last Edited:
There are some christmas tree farms just south of Puyallap you could check with, Snowshoe evergreen is one you could call and ask. Talk to Ken. He might say no, but then again he might say yes..

Good luck

The only rabbit I have seen in Washington was behind a hotel in Vancouver. In 1947 traveling north from Elko into Idaho, the roadway was suddenly fur cover from roadkill as the jacks went on the macadam at night and were run over.

Lots of rabbits in the Van Zandt Dike area...
Like any game animal , some seasons there is lots of them around and some seasons , not so much...

A .22 rifle or 20 gauge works wonders....
Andy
Thanks Andy, I'll have to give that a try when I get moved back up there. (Returning from Medford OR after four years) Thinking of using .22 pellet gun - head shots only to about 40 yds.
JOHN in Lynden

You are very welcome John.
I have also thought of using a .22 pellet rifle for small game...especially after the .22 cartridge shortage ...

For rabbits I have used :
My 870 Wingmaster ( Circa 1962 ) in 20 gauge...
My 20 gauge flintlock fowler ( original antique )
And countless .22 rifles....

If you have never hunted the Van Zandt Dike...it is a pretty area..lots of different terrain...Old logging roads...etc...
Grouse , rabbits , deer , bear , elk and cougar are all there...as lots of folks at times...so be prepared to search out a spot or three...That said it still is a worthwhile area to checkout .
Andy

Thanks Andy, I'll have to give that a try when I get moved back up there. (Returning from Medford OR after four years) Thinking of using .22 pellet gun - head shots only to about 40 yds.
JOHN in Lynden

You are very welcome John.
I have also thought of using a .22 pellet rifle for small game...especially after the .22 cartridge shortage ...

For rabbits I have used :
My 870 Wingmaster ( Circa 1962 ) in 20 gauge...
My 20 gauge flintlock fowler ( original antique )
And countless .22 rifles....

If you have never hunted the Van Zandt Dike...it is a pretty area..lots of different terrain...Old logging roads...etc...
Grouse , rabbits , deer , bear , elk and cougar are all there...as lots of folks at times...so be prepared to search out a spot or three...That said it still is a worthwhile area to checkout .
Andy

I was under the impression that WA didn't allow air rifles for hunting anything - but I'll have to go back and read the regs to verify.

I was under the impression that WA didn't allow air rifles for hunting anything - but I'll have to go back and read the regs to verify.
I'll check the regs too! Thanks. It is very popular in England where they found. it only takes 4 foot pounds of energy for a clean kill with a head shot
MyBP Fowler's are an 11ga Mortimer DB, 12ga ccs kit DB, an 18ga Swiss SB, and a 20ga SB replica made by GunWorks in Springfield.
Keep you powder dry.
JOHN

Andy, you are right, since air gun are not included in legal hunting methods,it is back to firearms. That would leave only squirrels and rats which were not included in the list of small game.
Thanks for the heads up.
John

John ,
That was Joe13 that gave us the "heads up" on Washington Hunting regs and air guns....
Nice see another muzzleloading fan on the sight here...if you haven't checked it out yet...take a look at our Blackpowder sub forum...:D
Andy

John...if you're in the market for a .22, Henry makes a nice little pump....jus' sayin'....

Henry-Rimfire-4.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads