JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
sounds to me like your dog did his job. I believe along with a weapon in every home should be a dog, I live next to a crack filled low rent apt complex out in St.Helens and have two big danes that are very protective, no one comes through my yard with out them knowing, last year one of my danes caught a crack dealer in our back yard and cornerd them along with my wife and her hand gun till the police arrived and made a arrest. turns out there was about 15 grand in meth in a backpack that was found... Good puppy, My point is if they get past my dogs there intent is pretty clear and the use of deadly force is warranted and legal.

Interesting. So, while I do believe asking an attorney some questions would be a very good idea. I also believe that unless each one of us is going to go visit an attorney for anything related to this, it is going to also be up to us to CAREFULLY, and THOROUGHLY read the applicable laws and try to understand them. I do not believe that we are totally deficient in this area. But, as pointed out, it would be much better if one is on firmer ground to invoke these statutes by making sure you are not on the edges of their permission. But it is also prudent to at least be aware of what they state and what ORS number they are. Being knowledgeable can help.

Fair enough. But use of force laws rely heavily on case law, and it might be just too time consuming and difficult for an average person to digest all of the relevant information.

If you do shoot, you will come under intense scrutiny and possible legal action. So, be dang sure that you were in danger.

For me, I have a couple of indicators:

1. Did they hurt a dog outside? If yes, it likely means their intent is not good. This doesn't mean I can legally shoot them, but right away that is a red flag.

2. Did they forcefully enter the house? Another red flag, and I am highly likely to draw.

3. Did they enter the house and either hurt a dog, brandish a weapon, or threaten a family member? I will draw at a minimum, and it's likely game on.

I hope I never have a situation where I even have to draw, but...

Peter

I would warn that if you go looking for the confrontation you might be in trouble in oregon courts when you are facing a jury of Obamas pears.

If trouble came to you and you defended your self you would be good. On your deck or jiggling your door knob might be scary but i call them a no shoot. Now the second that door or glass is busted and a hand, foot or face comes through its game on. Or if you see a weapon and he sees you and is still coming.

Really i think it comes down to how much the liberal DA thinks you were in fear of your life.

If some guy is steeling the bike off your porch and you go out not planing to shoot but get in a confrontation and have to shoot him my guess i you will do time . Think about it, When you confront him now the tables are turned in court and he in the victim in fear of his life and you are the aggressor with a gun.

The only way you wont do time after a shooting is if he was the aggressor and you are the victim.

I would warn that if you go looking for the confrontation you might be in trouble in oregon courts when you are facing a jury of Obamas pears.

If trouble came to you and you defended your self you would be good. On your deck or jiggling your door knob might be scary but i call them a no shoot. Now the second that door or glass is busted and a hand, foot or face comes through its game on. Or if you see a weapon and he sees you and is still coming.

Really i think it comes down to how much the liberal DA thinks you were in fear of your life.

If some guy is steeling the bike off your porch and you go out not planing to shoot but get in a confrontation and have to shoot him my guess i you will do time . Think about it, When you confront him now the tables are turned in court and he in the victim in fear of his life and you are the aggressor with a gun.

The only way you wont do time after a shooting is if he was the aggressor and you are the victim.

And this is a "liberal" issue ?

If you think he's breaking into the house. 1. run to a bathroom or bedroom with a locking door. Lock the door 2. have the girl friend call 911 make sure you have her tell them your baricaded in the room and have a weapon. 3. draw your weapon and point it at the entry point. 4. wait for the cops praying you don't have to shoot.

The majority of the people on this thread and a lot of concealed carry's, really need to do some research, get some situational training and CLEARLY understand when deadly force is legal to use. There are varying levels of threat, and clearly understanding them, and what your reaction to each level of threat should be, is going to go a long ways to keeping your a** out of jail.

Because every thing you read in the internet is correct.

Oh and letting them enter your house is a very bad move tactically.

Scary that so many believe that if they catch someone breaking into their car or prowling around their property that they can open fire.

Oh well. The corporate for-profit prisons are all too ready to accept another tenant.

Of course, post SHTF ringing someone's doorbell or standing on their front lawn might get them shot so you just have to adapt to the times and conditions.

ok so let me start with im not on the lease but i stay at her place alot. I went to the gym and came home to her place and she said some one had jumped the fence. The dog barked and she saw him and the guy jumped it and took off. So my question is if I shoot him outside on the porch is that a nono? or do i wait until he is trying to get into the apartment? just incase he comes back what would the legaly right thing to do be? cops and security take alteast 15min to get here so they are out of the question. my son is here so i will not take any chances he is 11months old so yea. thanks for the info in advance.

gresham oregon mult county

You should hook up with the guy who open carries, and has no clue why. Maybe between the two of you, you could work some things out.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top