JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just bouncing this around in my mind right now .... thought I would throw out a couple questions and see what you guys think .... I have 117 acres about a mile away from the Ankeny Goose Refuge between Albany and Salem .... with LOTS of GEESE and some ducks .... I am making a spot to hunt on my property with the ability of flooding it .... it is planted in Dwarf Corn and Japanese Millet next to the blinds ... and Corn , Beans , and Wheat in the fields around it .... Last year I shot birds in just a un-planted mud hole there as it was not done ... with it being planted this year ... it should be allot better .....
QUESTION .... I am thinking about letting people hunt there on the weekends ... I want to get a little return on what I have invested .... and will charge something .... What is a fair dollar amount for a days hunting ? .... Also , I don't want to get into having to report earnings .... so if I barter the hunt out for a gun instead of cash ( if no birds shot ..then No fee ) ... can I get around having to report it since no cash changed hands ? Any thoughts would be great ..... This is just in the thinking stage and may never happen if it will be a hassle ....
Thanks..... Doug

I have a friend near St. Paul who does a similar thing. A few people come out and help buck hay, help build blinds, plant feed etc. A few also barter shotgun shells or decoys in return for rights to hunt. One guy a couple years ago was so happy about the great season he and his son had they presented the owner with a new Benelli shotgun. So theres lots of options. I would think of you were to charge a trespass fee with a signed waiver with a fee of $50 a day for example, that small amount of money would be spent on fuel, heating oil, firewood, new rifle etc without drawing any suspicion from the feds. Personally if I made a LITTLE money under the table, I wouldnt feel bad if Obama didnt get his cut. Id be very interested in hunting your place when you get it all figured out.

Doug,

Be very careful if you do something like this. Especially if you advertise it or even just list it publicly such as this "question". You will want to set up a LLC(very cheap) and purchase liability insurance(also cheap). I can tell you horror stories of ranchers letting people pay a small fee for shooting on their land and the fool trips in a pivot tract and shoots his buddy in the leg. Who paid medical? and then who paid for letting them shoot in a "obstacle strewn field". Normal homeowners insurance will not cover it because you are taking money. You also should have a release signed by them. Including a clause that says whomever looses the lawsuit pays all the lawyers. That alone stops a lot of lawsuits.

But don't let all this scare you off, once you have all your "ducks" in a line everything will go well. I have several properties that I started out like this and other than the feds and county always wanting to know things, They went very well. I have leases with hunting clubs on all mine now. which you might want to look into, easier to manage and you always know who, what, when, where and, most importantly, how much.

The best part is once you have it set up you can deduct/depreciate everything associated with it. And yes barter is the same as cash.

You might as well go get your LLC and make it official.

Error #1: You posted a question of how to evade the IRS/taxes.
Error #2: You posted an aerial view of your land with landmarks. (and address no less) (5 minutes on Google maps without the address and I know how to get to your place)

That being said...I think you'd be better off to do the improvements to your land out of the generous nature of your heart and then let buddies, strangers, etc. with permission come hunt on your land without charging them. You are sharing with them, and they can share with you. Like if you ran out of ammo and they toss you a box of 12Ga. That is perfectly legal without declaring it.

You do have a great piece of property! How does the Auduboun society like you shooting their ducks/geese that are destined for their refuge...but happen to get distracted by the tempting millet and corn flooded fields?

HI .... just got back from a week of looking for gold on my mining claim above Sweet Home .... got some small stuff and had a good time ......... THANKS to all of you that gave me info on my questions .... I have checked on insurance and that is not a problem ..... as to GRIZZLY A's info .... ERROR 1 .... I did not ask how to evade the IRS ... I asked if it was or was not IRS problem ... apparently it is .... ERROR 2 .... posting a picture of my property .... I don't care if you know where I live ... If you are invited to my property , you will be welcomed ... IF NOT , remember ... I have guns and know how to use them .... as far as the Audubon people ... they are welcome as long as the ask permission ... we have at least 7 kinds of hawks on the property through out the year and you can get great pictures .... but if the don't ask .... then we have problems ..... THANKS AGAIN to every one that added info or comments ...... Doug Ramey

I didn't mean to come on so strong...I was going on the basis that if you wanted to do proceed something like that, you might not want it to be so easy for the IRS agents to find you. :)

Sweet Home mining claim! That sounds like a blast!

Doug, I hunt up here in Washington. My friend I hunt with, pays around 250 for our waterfoul season. This gives him rights to the blind for duck season only. When goose overlaps portion of duck season, he has to abandon the blind because someone else uses it. These are set weeks under the agreement with the leaser and leasee. Remember, it is only certain days and never consecutive weekends when he can't use the blind. This keeps it fair.

I hope this helps.
~Mike

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews