JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My situation is this:
A friend has a 1977 mobile w/ snow roof. The metal roofing was installed w/o any insulation layer and no ventilation to the snow roof which sits very low over the mobile so there is little air transfer.
The humidity in the area is high 70% on 9-2-13 and receives heavy rains in winter which causes heavy condensation on the underside of the metal roof. the condensation is so heavy that it 'rains' on the roof of the mobile and leaks into the home. The interior humidity can exceed 50% and mold is a big problem.
I have a budget of $3K How do I eliminate the condensation under the snow roof?
Remove metal roof and emplace insulation, replace metal?
Increase ventilation with fans and gable vents?
Other?

If you arent gonna bulldoze it. Only other option is to build a full shed roof over the entire mobile to keep roof from getting any exposure to the rain. Basically a pole structure spanning the entire thing. Seen that lots over here at the coast where it rains 300 days a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

As a former Manufactured & Mobile Home Repair Tech Man. i am confused by the use of your term, "snow roof", as that is also a name for a product.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you are describing a seperate roof from the Mobile Homes original roof, and, again, correct me if I am wrong, the ~snow roof~ is not supported by seperate framing (4X4's etc) to the Ground, but was somehow added to the Mobile Home, over the existing roof ????

and no ventilation to the snow roof which sits very low over
the mobile so there is little air transfer.
The humidity in the area is high 70% on 9-2-13 and receives heavy rains in winter which causes heavy condensation on the underside of the metal roof. the condensation is so heavy that it 'rains' on the roof of the mobile and leaks into the home.

If the above is correct, AND YOUR thinking about "condensation" is correct, your Only REAL option, isto remove the Snow Roof, and seal your leaking Mobile Home Roof.

Then upon rebuilding the snow roof, add ventilation fans, to Exaust the AIR between your Home & the Snow Roof.

Yes, both need to be done to do it correct. You might get by, A big MIGHT, with just installing Electrical Powered Exaust Vents into the Snow Roof itself.

However, when I was a Contractor, not just an Employee of a Manufacured Homes Business, I would NOT do the job as I just described, I would take the time to explain WHY both roofs need repair, and the Snow Roof Needs Venting Out. That Might require a steeper Pitch, than the orginal ~Snow Roof~

I hope that helps, unlike the duffas replies like "Zippo", and "Bull Doze" ....

OH, Yes, And one thing you did not mention, what age is the Mobile Home? I ask because if the above premises are Valid. You might do better to use 4X4 posts, raise that snow roof say 16 - 18 inches, first. Then later in that craw space, recoat your mobile home, back wards, yes... But. Your $3000 price range provides little leeway in proper construction, even in a DIY mode.

philip, was a proud owner of a 12X60 Fleetwood circa 1974. But I lost it to an issue with the property owners nose powder :)

Thank you for your input:
I guess I did not describe the situation correctly:
It has a full shed roof over it. One could remove the mobile and the 'pole barn' would remain standing as it has a very robust structure with concrete foundations supporting the uprights and a HD engineered truss system.
Yes a Zippo would be the proper answer except the occupant cannot move (too complicated to explain sans several gallons of beer).
If there was an easy answer, an easy way out, I would not need your collective (hate that word) help and wisdom.

Go on Craigslist and look for a good quality used dehumidifier, or cough up and buy a new one. Get one large enough to handle the sq ft of the mobile home.
You will be amazed on how much water they can pull out of the air.

Make sure the bathroom fan works properly and is truly venting outside.
I put 30 minute timers on all of my apartment bath fans. Most people will turn off the fan as soon as they leave and it takes at least 30 mins to properly evacuate the moisture from after a shower or bath.

OkeeDokee
Thanks to all that have been giving of their wisdom, many have been very helpful. I have learned so much about so many PPL, in so short of time!
Those who were genuine were like bright starts in a lonely and dark night!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top