JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am begining to look for a couple of nicer older double shotguns. I would use these for hunting pheasants, quail, and grouse as well as use them for trap shooting. I know very little about double barrel side by side shotguns. I am looking between two to three grand a piece. I have been looking at Parkers, Merkels, Fox, LC Smith, Sauer, ..... How do I tell a good / well built shotgun from something that has been used up - or is too old? I know this is a vague question and hence I am looking for some guidance from someone that has experience. The gun I will always want was a Purdey but lets face it those are a dream - the one I handled at Griffin and Howe was 55K. How close can I get? Thoughts and guidance is appreciated.

Side by side shotguns double the price of an over-under. When you look at an older shotgun, check how well lockup is. A used shotgun won't be locking as tight and should not be shot. The same collector that the Remington 30s came from has a Parker I believe, but he's in Hawaii.

I know I am not looking at Turkish built shotguns. At the last gun show here in Saint Helens there were some turkish made guns that looked nice but the reviews I have seen are not positive. My friend who use to shoot trap had a couple of CZ shotguns that he wore out due to soft metal. He finally went to a Browning and never had issues again.

Some things to consider with older shotguns are :

Chamber length...many older shotguns are short chambered as in 2 5/8 or 2 1/2.
A good gunsmith may be able to lengthen the chamber , but then the shotgun may only be able to shoot lighter loadings.
Please notice the "may"...every shotgun is different.

Also many older shotguns are not rated for the use of steel shot...and there may come a time when steel shot is mandatory for all shooting.
With that said...there are recent studies that show with newer cartridges , the harm from steel shot on older shotgun barrels is not a issue with certain chokes and sizes of shot.
Andy

Also many older shotguns are not rated for the use of steel shot...and there may come a time when steel shot is mandatory for all shooting.
With that said...there are recent studies that show with newer cartridges , the harm from steel shot on older shotgun barrels is not a issue with certain chokes and sizes of shot.
Andy
Never shoot steel through a fixed full choke or you'll have a cylinder bore gun.

Never shoot steel through a fixed full choke or you'll have a cylinder bore gun.
That is the thought...and yep I agree.

However a recent study by a English shooting organization suggests that one can shoot steel shot from Modified or larger chokes..and with shot sizes no larger then #5

With that said....
It is your firearm....and all firearms are different...make your choice wisely.
Andy
Edit to add :
I am not savvy enough to post a link .
Here is the title of the study / article :
Turns out its okay to shoot steel shot through old shotgun ( sort of )
It is from Field and Stream 16 July 2021.

Last Edited:
That is the thought...
However a recent study by a English shooting organization suggests that one can shoot steel shot from Modified or larger chokes..and with shot sizes no larger then #5

With that said....
It is your firearm....and all firearms are different...make your choice wisely.
Andy
Edit to add :
I am not savvy enough to post a link .
Here is the title of the study / article :
Turns out its okay to shoot steel shot through old shotgun ( sort of )
It is from Field and Stream 16 July 2021.
I don't think I want to try with my model 12.

I don't think I want to try with my model 12.
As always do as you wish.

I was simply pointing out that a new study suggests that it might be okay to shoot steel shot through older shotguns..
With certain chokes and loadings.
If I wrote the article I would also point out that every shotgun is different and that the above may not work for you and your shotgun

Please note that I have not disagreed with your posts in this thread.
Also note that never have I said to go ahead and shoot steel shot through an older shotgun.

Andy

Last Edited:
I am begining to look for a couple of nicer older double shotguns. I would use these for hunting pheasants, quail, and grouse as well as use them for trap shooting. I know very little about double barrel side by side shotguns. I am looking between two to three grand a piece. I have been looking at Parkers, Merkels, Fox, LC Smith, Sauer, ..... How do I tell a good / well built shotgun from something that has been used up - or is too old? I know this is a vague question and hence I am looking for some guidance from someone that has experience. The gun I will always want was a Purdey but lets face it those are a dream - the one I handled at Griffin and Howe was 55K. How close can I get? Thoughts and guidance is appreciated.
You already know the marquee's to look for.
Search out those marquee's, and as a stipulation of the sale, make the seller know that you'd like to have a smith look at it before finalizing the deal.
Let the experts do the rest.

P.S. As an alternative, you could curtail your shopping to these folks. ALWAYS quality items - https://connecticutshotgun.co/

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top