JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have used a bunch of different pistols and have drifted away from some in favor of more "practical" pistols, namely polymer-framed striker-fired pistols like Glocks and M&Ps. Speaking of practicality, Ive also ended up shooting a lot of 9mm.

I've posted about various pistols and have said several times that I find the Sig P220 to be the most comfortable handgun Ive ever shot. I'm going to start carrying it. DA/SA, high bore axis, limited capacity, and increased recoil be damned.

E0171E80-A5DE-411E-A8F1-7014C9770288.jpeg

Last Edited:
I'm of the same opinion as far as comfort. I first shot a P220 in .45 30 years ago. I knew I would own one, just a matter of time. It took 4 years before it climbed to the top of the priority list, but well worth the wait. Still have it, and will never sell.

I have always been a Sig Guy. Have owned many over the years and the 220 has always remained my favorite. I own one in both .45 and 9mm.Just fits my hand

Indeed, the 9mm and .38 Super versions are good times.:)

The single-stack 220 fits many with medium-ish hands better that its double-stack brothers, especially if one gets the short-reach trigger.

I'd love to Sig come out with a 220ST Match (5") Elite with fixed-sights (the adjustables are fairly big/sharp). Offering it .45, 9mm, .38 Super or maybe even .357 SIG would be awesome (and not much more work as they offer it in 10mm).

Oh well, one can dream...

BOSS

I don't get the high bore axis hate. It's a number that equates to minimal real world impact. Like talking about trucks by transmission fluid capacity.

Polymer is only the material in your hand, but it seems like the features are what your interested in?

Anyone making a full size, polymer, single stack 45? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Bore axis is a legit discussion point, particularly for shooting at speed (multiple rounds). But it's not an end-all/be all discussion...weight, ergos, etc. also factor in. In my hands, some guns, even with higher bore axis seem to stay on target better than others with lower bore axis (Sig 228 being one of them).

Kahr makes a single stack .45, and there's some poly framed 1911's. I'm sure there's others not coming to mind at the moment.

BOSS

Let's be 100% honest here for a moment. I shoot Glocks better than anything else. I have a Target glock, "fighting" Glocks, defense Glocks, carry Glocks, for fun Glocks... They just work, they feel right and I trust them. However; I've always felt like they feel more like a toy than a gun when I hold just the bare frame. And the frame rails aren't substantial. Heck, I have visually stronger built .22s. Yet my Glocks just keep running. I can't lie and say I don't have any doubts about their ability to keep me alive and if they made a metal frame with rails like a p226, all my worries would be miles away and I'd never doubt my carry gun again. But they don't. I applaud your choice and would do the same if I could, however I just can't put my life in the hands of something I don't know for certain I can hit a 6" plate at 30' with. That's my gold standard and is worth living for. Albeit with a compromise I don't enjoy

For me, the P220R I got awhile back turned out pretty "meh" in my hands. No question it's a great pistol, I just don't shoot it nearly as well as either of my CZ's, one being a compact 9mm, the other a large .45. Not sure what the issue is, it feels good in my hand, I don't have any issues with the standard trigger, the ergos work for me, I just don't shoot it worth a damn. I've got it in the Classifieds now, trying to trade for a good scope, but not getting much interest, so it'll probably go to the LGS on consignment next time I get to Omak. Or maybe I'll trade it for a revolver :rolleyes:...

Let's be 100% honest here for a moment. I shoot Glocks better than anything else. I have a Target glock, "fighting" Glocks, defense Glocks, carry Glocks, for fun Glocks... They just work, they feel right and I trust them. However; I've always felt like they feel more like a toy than a gun when I hold just the bare frame. And the frame rails aren't substantial. Heck, I have visually stronger built .22s. Yet my Glocks just keep running. I can't lie and say I don't have any doubts about their ability to keep me alive and if they made a metal frame with rails like a p226, all my worries would be miles away and I'd never doubt my carry gun again. But they don't. I applaud your choice and would do the same if I could, however I just can't put my life in the hands of something I don't know for certain I can hit a 6" plate at 30' with. That's my gold standard and is worth living for. Albeit with a compromise I don't enjoy

My first duty weapon was a Glock and on most days, I'd probably carry it over my currently issued M&P if I could.

Last year, we had a magic requal day where everyone passed the first time through (I know, confidence inspiring) so we had a little more time to do other types of shooting. Our qualification for pistol is based on 500 points. With the M&P, I'm generally 480's to mid 490's. Never shot a perfect score with it. Brought out the Glock, 500 points. Brought out my P226, 500 points....all head shots.

I know of no measurable configuration that guarantees subjective satisfaction other than basic accuracy. While predicting what does provide "target accuracy " in my hands is an inexact study, the list of those that failed to do such continues to grow. Despite extensive repeated efforts, Glock is on my B list. CZ10c appears headed that way as well.

As I've said before I'm not really a Glock fan, and I covet a P-220 Match Elite ( the stainless/rosewood one). The Sig will come when the monies right. I bought a police turn in Gen 4 Glock 22 40 S&W. I was monkeying with the different backstraps on the Gen 4 and just could not get a good comfortable grip on the pistol, it seemed to move around in my hand every time I shot it no matter the grip configuration. I finally figured out the problem, Glocks polymer is very smooth even at the top of the texturing, it has to be to release from the mold. I have very tough, leathery hands and sweat a bit. The combination is akin to holding on to a wet bar of soap. I took some 100 grit sand paper to the grip area and sanded the shine off and it worked. I can run through all 3 magazines with out having to stop and reposition the pistol time and time again. I have to say it's not my most accurate pistol but it is fun to shoot and 45 rounds in a 4" group at 10 yds is certainly minute of bad guy.

As I've said before I'm not really a Glock fan, and I covet a P-220 Match Elite ( the stainless/rosewood one). The Sig will come when the monies right. I bought a police turn in Gen 4 Glock 22 40 S&W. I was monkeying with the different backstraps on the Gen 4 and just could not get a good comfortable grip on the pistol, it seemed to move around in my hand every time I shot it no matter the grip configuration. I finally figured out the problem, Glocks polymer is very smooth even at the top of the texturing, it has to be to release from the mold. I have very tough, leathery hands and sweat a bit. The combination is akin to holding on to a wet bar of soap. I took some 100 grit sand paper to the grip area and sanded the shine off and it worked. I can run through all 3 magazines with out having to stop and reposition the pistol time and time again. I have to say it's not my most accurate pistol but it is fun to shoot and 45 rounds in a 4" group at 10 yds is certainly minute of bad guy.

Nice!

Grip is important; I've never found Glock to satisfy my own tactile needs, even allowing for the awkward angle and the too-plump circumference.

Introduction to the CZ P10c was a startling discovery: the grip was initially so coarse with pronounced mini-bumps, as to verge on painful after a few shots. My hand grew to tolerate it, and now the grip surface is one of the features I truly like about the model.

Over the generations of Glocks there have been different grip textures offered.
I have a P80 (G19 clone) and I leave DNA on that grip.
Somehow they get those out of the molds.

my steel and nickel finish guns

...."are ALWAYS so nice to go back to" as whatever pleasure comes from my plastic fantastics, the performance from 'Old Reliable' continues to lure me back again and again.

I am confounded by the joys of 'minute of cantaloupe' with cluster-pattern of 15 near POA hits, vs the joys of 'minute of walnut' POI group. If speed steel were using 4" targets I'd have to go back to 1911 or revolvers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top