Puget Sound Fish?

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by jsparks747, Apr 1, 2017.

1. jsparks747

jsparks747
    Portland, Or

Straight off the bat - You don't need to tell me any secret spots or lucky lures
    My dad and I are getting a boat this spring for our vacation house in Puget Sound and are curious about fishing gear. Our main target species are lingcod, halibut, flounder, greenling, and salmon possibly. Are there any good spots near Port Townsend, WA that are good for those or any lures/baits on a hook that work well? Any advice is welcome.

DuneHopper and bbbass like this.
  2. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    West of Oly
    Springer Slayer Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Good luck on your saltwater adventure. I wish I had something more to add to this but all I can think of is twist tailed white grubs on a leadhead jig or tube jigs (1" copper pipe filled with lead with two big azz treble hooks) fished around jetties & Deepwater structure.;)

bbbass and Slobray like this.
  3. jsparks747

jsparks747
    Portland, Or

Just jig it still or on a drift?

4. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    West of Oly
    Springer Slayer Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I believe they drift with the tide and at times hover in place over structure.

5. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Salmon most guy are mooching with haring or using down riggers trolling with cut plug haring or hootchies behind a hot spot flasher but it's a tide thing watch the tides and ask questions most guys will give some advice I'm north in the San Juan islands so we troll down rigger 's all the time pretty much I like using green flasher or the small black and silver hot spots ultra violet hootchies purple and clear green and also the black and white ones but it's just a hit and miss thing

jsparks747 and bbbass like this.
  6. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

For Chinook (king) salmon down rigger on the bottom bounce the canon ball right on the bottom watch for birds feeding on small bait fish and drag right though them on the bottom for coho (silver 's) shining spoons or buzz bomb s work this one I got on small black and white and silver hot spot flasher with a purple and clear hootchi 100 feet of water on a flooding tide watching birds dive IMAG0427.jpg these down here are silver 's I got casting a spoon and buzz bomb s from the beach when they are running and they let you catch them IMAG0189.jpg IMAG0191.jpg IMAG0179.jpg GOOD LUCK OUT THERE

7. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter 2017 Volunteer

I'm a horrible fisherman so I use Dynamite!! :D

All kidding aside I really am a horrible fisherman. :confused:

8. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

Shallow trolling salmon with variations of this:

photo-1-50.jpg

I don't know if you can buy them; I always made my own; it's real simple. And just use a legal length wire leader behind a lead banana/trolling sinker.

I also used an anchovie rigged with a 30-50lb test leader and trolled same way. You can buy the rigs or make them yourself.
    Shasta_Dodger_Adjustment_Snell3.jpg

There are also various divers you can use for slightly deeper trolling. But for deep trolling you'll need downriggers.

I've always found local bait shops to be the most helpful. Or guys on the dock, hanging at the pier, etc.

For rockfish and cod, we usually used 4"-5" curly tail plastic grubs/jigs but also used anchovies. California Rockfishing Guide

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    jsparks747 and SKrueger like this.
  9. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

Everyone is horrible at first I grew up fishing lake trout and fishing trout in river 's then I worked in Alaska for six years on a big drager or trawler but my salmon fishing I learned from my BROTHER inlaw him and my sister own two fishing boats one does salmon and tuna and the other does salmon a Dunginess crab up and down the west coast from half moon bay California to sitka Alaska

SKrueger and bbbass like this.
  10. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

Vacation house??????:eek: Ok, you're off my Xmas list!!

11. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

And if all else fails there is always SAFEWAY 8604.jpeg

12. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

Silitz river Oregon in September is a good place to go only need a small boat and a river anchor and and quick fish rig 8601.jpeg

jsparks747 and bbbass like this.
  13. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

8585.jpeg

14. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

Bottom fishing... we usually drifted. And used the aforementioned grubs or a variation of feather shrimp flies:
    P-Line-Shrimp-Fly-Rigs-2.jpg

Hootchies work too.

jsparks747 likes this.
  15. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

You want bottom fish lol 84.jpeg my brother in south east Alaska

jsparks747 likes this.
  16. jsparks747

jsparks747
    Portland, Or

Thanks! Haven't got a boat yet but am looking at getting an older one to restore and fish from. I know in the area where we have the house up there (East Marrowstone Island) It is illegal to keep any kind of rockfish, you can keep some black rockfish on the pacific side though. I would mainly be targeting salmon, halibut, lingcod, and starry flounder, sand dab, and kelp greenling when those aren't in season.

17. jsparks747

jsparks747
    Portland, Or

Now that's just cruel... putting all those fish right in front of me.

18. jsparks747

jsparks747
    Portland, Or

Yup! Lovely area. This was the backyard last year along with a few visitors.
    IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0621.JPG

Slobray, bbbass and SKrueger like this.
  19. EPS

EPS
    Anacortes

The season 's for bottom fish here in the sound are awful open and close all the time and you are right about the rock fish it's been closed in the sound for a long time

bbbass likes this.
  20. jsparks747

jsparks747
    Portland, Or

I would be going up to the San Juans for most of it. Mainly the Roche Harbor