JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Straight off the bat - You don't need to tell me any secret spots or lucky lures
My dad and I are getting a boat this spring for our vacation house in Puget Sound and are curious about fishing gear. Our main target species are lingcod, halibut, flounder, greenling, and salmon possibly. Are there any good spots near Port Townsend, WA that are good for those or any lures/baits on a hook that work well? Any advice is welcome.

Good luck on your saltwater adventure. I wish I had something more to add to this but all I can think of is twist tailed white grubs on a leadhead jig or tube jigs (1" copper pipe filled with lead with two big azz treble hooks) fished around jetties & Deepwater structure.;)

Good luck on your saltwater adventure. I wish I had something more to add to this but all I can think of is twist tailed white grubs on a leadhead jig or tube jigs (1" copper pipe filled with lead with two big azz treble hooks) fished around jetties & Deepwater structure.;)
Just jig it still or on a drift?

Salmon most guy are mooching with haring or using down riggers trolling with cut plug haring or hootchies behind a hot spot flasher but it's a tide thing watch the tides and ask questions most guys will give some advice I'm north in the San Juan islands so we troll down rigger 's all the time pretty much I like using green flasher or the small black and silver hot spots ultra violet hootchies purple and clear green and also the black and white ones but it's just a hit and miss thing

For Chinook (king) salmon down rigger on the bottom bounce the canon ball right on the bottom watch for birds feeding on small bait fish and drag right though them on the bottom for coho (silver 's) shining spoons or buzz bomb s work this one I got on small black and white and silver hot spot flasher with a purple and clear hootchi 100 feet of water on a flooding tide watching birds dive IMAG0427.jpg these down here are silver 's I got casting a spoon and buzz bomb s from the beach when they are running and they let you catch them IMAG0189.jpg IMAG0191.jpg IMAG0179.jpg GOOD LUCK OUT THERE

Shallow trolling salmon with variations of this:

photo-1-50.jpg

I don't know if you can buy them; I always made my own; it's real simple. And just use a legal length wire leader behind a lead banana/trolling sinker.

I also used an anchovie rigged with a 30-50lb test leader and trolled same way. You can buy the rigs or make them yourself.
Shasta_Dodger_Adjustment_Snell3.jpg

There are also various divers you can use for slightly deeper trolling. But for deep trolling you'll need downriggers.

I've always found local bait shops to be the most helpful. Or guys on the dock, hanging at the pier, etc.

For rockfish and cod, we usually used 4"-5" curly tail plastic grubs/jigs but also used anchovies. California Rockfishing Guide

Last Edited:
I'm a horrible fisherman so I use Dynamite!! :D

All kidding aside I really am a horrible fisherman. :confused:
Everyone is horrible at first I grew up fishing lake trout and fishing trout in river 's then I worked in Alaska for six years on a big drager or trawler but my salmon fishing I learned from my BROTHER inlaw him and my sister own two fishing boats one does salmon and tuna and the other does salmon a Dunginess crab up and down the west coast from half moon bay California to sitka Alaska

Straight off the bat - You don't need to tell me any secret spots or lucky lures
My dad and I are getting a boat this spring for our vacation house in Puget Sound and are curious about fishing gear. Our main target species are lingcod, halibut, flounder, greenling, and salmon possibly. Are there any good spots near Port Townsend, WA that are good for those or any lures/baits on a hook that work well? Any advice is welcome.

Vacation house??????:eek: Ok, you're off my Xmas list!!

Shallow trolling salmon with variations of this:

View attachment 358927
I don't know if you can buy them; I always made my own; it's real simple. And just use a legal length wire leader behind a lead banana/trolling sinker.

I also used an anchovie rigged with a 30-50lb test leader and trolled same way. You can buy the rigs or make them yourself.
View attachment 358928

There are also various divers you can use for slightly deeper trolling. But for deep trolling you'll need downriggers.

I've always found local bait shops to be the most helpful. Or guys on the dock, hanging at the pier, etc.

For rockfish and cod, we usually used 4"-5" curly tail plastic grubs/jigs but also used anchovies. California Rockfishing Guide
Thanks! Haven't got a boat yet but am looking at getting an older one to restore and fish from. I know in the area where we have the house up there (East Marrowstone Island) It is illegal to keep any kind of rockfish, you can keep some black rockfish on the pacific side though. I would mainly be targeting salmon, halibut, lingcod, and starry flounder, sand dab, and kelp greenling when those aren't in season.

Thanks! Haven't got a boat yet but am looking at getting an older one to restore and fish from. I know in the area where we have the house up there (East Marrowstone Island) It is illegal to keep any kind of rockfish, you can keep some black rockfish on the pacific side though. I would mainly be targeting salmon, halibut, lingcod, and starry flounder, sand dab, and kelp greenling when those aren't in season.
The season 's for bottom fish here in the sound are awful open and close all the time and you are right about the rock fish it's been closed in the sound for a long time

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews