JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I get a call this morning from the school principal at the elementary. I have 2 kids at that school. Principal says your son Landry punched a kid in the mouth on the bus this morning. His very next comment is, is this normal for him? I said um well, not for him, but it is for some of my other boys. I said what's the story. Well a boy was being aggressive with his own sister, and your son stepped in. I said ok. Well the. He says I told both boys I'm calling your parents. The other kid got shifty, so the principal digs in deeper and asked other kids what they saw. Well,,,the kid was hurting his sister and shoving her up against the wall and Landry said stop that. The kid shoved my kid to the ground. My kid gets up and punched him at that point. I'm like ok!!? I then proceed to say well good for Landry! Principal pauses for a half sec and says yeah. Well,,, ok thanks for he call!
Two thoughts...
1. Landry is my skinny kid. Like interment camp skinny. My other boys and girl are solid. He's also very rule driven. Doesn't really run off emotions. Slit OCD about things. So I was very glad he handled like he did.
2. If the principal knew the story before he called me, why would he ask me if this type of reaction is normal for my kid? How about he calls me up and tells me the whole story? And just say it's handled and we don't condone fighting, but your kid took care of the issue?
How would you like to be the dad of the other kids?

So I get a call this morning from the school principal at the elementary. I have 2 kids at that school. Principal says your son Landry punched a kid in the mouth on the bus this morning. His very next comment is, is this normal for him? I said um well, not for him, but it is for some of my other boys. I said what's the story. Well a boy was being aggressive with his own sister, and your son stepped in. I said ok. Well the. He says I told both boys I'm calling your parents. The other kid got shifty, so the principal digs in deeper and asked other kids what they saw. Well,,,the kid was hurting his sister and shoving her up against the wall and Landry said stop that. The kid shoved my kid to the ground. My kid gets up and punched him at that point. I'm like ok!!? I then proceed to say well good for Landry! Principal pauses for a half sec and says yeah. Well,,, ok thanks for he call!
Two thoughts...
1. Landry is my skinny kid. Like interment camp skinny. My other boys and girl are solid. He's also very rule driven. Doesn't really run off emotions. Slit OCD about things. So I was very glad he handled like he did.
2. If the principal knew the story before he called me, why would he ask me if this type of reaction is normal for my kid? How about he calls me up and tells me the whole story? And just say it's handled and we don't condone fighting, but your kid took care of the issue?
It won't be his Dad who complains, It'll be his Mom who calls the principal.

The good news is, at least where I came from, you only have to step up once to move from Helpless Nerd to Psycho Nerd in the eyes of the bullies.

Worked for me and Ralphie!

Congrats Dad!!

The best lesson would be for the principal to call out your boy for punching the kid but you reward him for protecting others. To pay no attention to others if you are doing what's right. He can hold his head up, and the other kid won't be hitting on his sister again. First step to becoming a man.

Two thoughts...

Sounds like you have every reason to be very proud of your boy. He is well on the way to growing up to be what a "good man" used to be which is sadly not common enough any more.

Thanks all!
I had to fly out of town tonight.
My oldest boy is a hero to the youngers. He made sure to prop him up and tell him what a stallion he is. My wife made pancakes and got him some candy! Lol!! We just felt like making sure this sunk into his brain long term.

My oldest son used to get called on the carpet for doing the right thing and defending others. He was always told that he would NEVER be in trouble with me for that. It made him a good young man and I am proud of him!

These are the lessons our young ones need to learn from us in spite of all the bubblegume they are being fed in the public school system.

Keep up the good work!!!!!:s0116: God Bless!:)

The good news is, at least where I came from, you only have to step up once to move from Helpless Nerd to Psycho Nerd in the eyes of the bullies.

Worked for me and Ralphie!

Congrats Dad!!

.....you dont even have to WIN, I didn't, you just have to show that you are willing to step into the ring and go!

Later I learned that winning is better.

Reading reports like this tells me that there is hope for the next generation.

Good for your son!!! The school system unfortunately does not recognize the necessary use of force (even minor force like this) in defense of one's self or others.

I had something similar happen with my daughter several years ago. She was defending herself against a boy a year older in when they were in elementary school and he would talk about sex to her, hit her an bully her. After a little home self defense training, she responded by punching the kid in the face defending herself. The school administrator said she would get suspended if it happened again. I told them "no problem, but know this, if you suspend her for defending herself, I WILL be taking her to Disney World the day she's suspended, so you tell me who's message will be more loud and clear to her". The principal called me and thanked me for my involvement and just asked me to call her directly if the other kid bothers my daughter again. The funny thing was, that through the next year of elementary and all through middle school, nobody messed with her, because she was "the girl that punched that big guy right in his face," LOL.

So I get a call this morning from the school principal at the elementary.
It's likely the parent of the other child also received a vague phone call. It's a method which school officials, doctors, counselors and DHS/CPS agents gauge your reaction to see what you are like as a parent. Yes, this sounds paranoid, and no, it is not.
The presumptive theory is kids behave and parrot what they witness and experience in the home.

In high school I saw a bully taunting a boy who had been on crutches most of is life, and now was able to walk with braces, but not very fast. I slammed him up against the lockers and told him if I ever even heard of him doing anything like that again I would hold him there until the kid got his hands on him. With his arms built up from using crutches most of his life he would have ripped the bully apart, he appeared ready to do that then, and the bully was scared that was about to happen before I turned him loose, inches from from certain devastation. The bully never did anything like that again.
Two days later I was called into the deans office after he got word of what happened and he told me "Thank You"
Things have changed, sadly

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top