JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm kind of new to the whole AR style guns. I found a DPMS that I really want, but it has no dust cover, forward assist or shell deflector. I can tell that this isn't a common set up. I'm assuming this is a disadvantage?? Should I pass this gun up and look for one that has these parts instead??

The quest for knowledge is never stupid...
The forward assist is just what it sounds like. If you have a dirty rifle and a round wont fully chamber, just push it in. It makes things a little easier.
If you're getting a smoking deal on it, you could always buy an upper receiver with all the cool gadgets. Just a thought...

When they build them like that it's not that it's better or worse it's more on the side of personal preference. Ive had builds where the customer wanted nothing
to with the Forward assist or a dust cover (Bench shooter).
so I would just suggest get configuration that most appeals to your needs.

I would be using this gun for plinking and maybe for a little hunting down the road. I'm not much of a target/bench shooter. I just want to make sure I get a gun that is worth it and I will be happy with. I'm not getting a great deal on it, but I'm getting some extras thrown in, couple extra mags, quad rail hand guard, sights. Without the dust cover, is the rifle going to need to be cleaned more often or get gummed up more?

Without the dust cover, is the rifle going to need to be cleaned more often or get gummed up more?

short answer- yes.

long answer- that depends entirely on how the weapon is used, how well you loob it, what kind of environment you take it into, etc. i would personally never own an AR without a dust cover.. a hunting AR especially needs one, as you'll be dragging it around through underbrush and getting twigs and dirt and sand and leaves and crap stuck in there... then, add the fact that you have no forward assist, and you could easily end up with a single-shot AR.

not having a forward assist, by itself, isn't that big a deal. in all my 10+ years operating AR15/M4/M16s, i've never once used a forward assist with any degree of seriousness. i built my bench/target rifle without a forward assist.. but it does have a dust cover.

mind if i ask how much you're looking at paying? its not uncommon for people to find out DPMS isn't significantly cheaper than a lot of much better quality weapons..

I want to stay around $1000. $1200 is the very most I can afford right now. I'm starting to think that i need to keep searching around, or take a step down to a .223 since they are cheaper and you can get one just about anywhere now.

what caliber was the DPMS in question?

for under $1200, this <broken link removed> cannot be beat. it's by far the absolute best value in AR15s anywhere on the planet, and i'm not exaggerating. You get absolutely everything you need to shoot- just add ammo and you're off. And, more importantly, you're getting a weapon thats top quality- there are a couplefew manufacturers that make them as good, but not better, than BCM.

there's also a carbine-length gas version in stock, if, for some reason, you don't want a middy.

The one I am looking at is .308. I'm really torn between which caliber to go with. I'm starting to think I should keep looking around and try to find a .308 that is better quality and with better options or find a decent AR-15.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top