Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Primers pop out?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by cyclesurvival, Sep 21, 2011.

1. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

So I went up to shoot my AR. I had shot a couple of mags and noticed a jam. cleared it and continued to empty that mag. I started picking up my brass and notice a case with out a primer, then found several with indentations on the case base. The indentations matched the poped primer. found another poped case. I was shooting new brass cased federal 556 55grain ammo from bi-mart. Is this a normal thing that happens? I shot several more mags and only had it happen one more time. I did pull the bolt and check everything before doing more mags. no signs of over presure, deformed bulging cases.
    Could this be a bad batch of ammo. I have been using it and have over 2000 round down the tube with no problems.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Were the primers flattened?

3. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

no the first one was smashed to s-it the second one looked normal no signs of high presure.

4. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

A bad bunch of ammo is certainly not unheard of hence military primers are staked in place. Since you have had no problems with your other ammo I would tend to believe it's a bad batch. If you have the time for an Internet read it seems to be covered fairly extensively.

5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Try some genuine nato surplus. I have heard of others having occasional primer problems with Federal 5.56.