JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Driving through town and I see a sign. 20 Ribeye Steaks/$25 Those I did not buy.
We negotiated and I walked away with a big box of steaks for $120.

Not that it matters at this point. I was curious if anyone else had tried their meats from these roadside refrigerated trucks

Eh, it's hit and miss.

I'd just buy half a cow from a farmer and you can have it processed anyway you want and see the critter and what they feed it.

I'm the biggest carnavore in my house though and we don't have a seperate freezer yet so I haven't bothered.

On the norm I buy a grass-fed whole beef. Now that two fell off the grocery list, it will be by the half.
I bought the stuff mentioned in my OP on a whim.

I've never seen one of those trucks down here in Jefferson. However the "Plan" is to pick up an upright freezer and a side of beef. It's just that stuff like leaky roofs and such get in the way. :confused:

I buy our meats from The Meating Place, a butcher shop at Corn Pass and West Union north of Hillsboro. A lot of their beef comes from Painted Hills Ranch by John Day, and selected grass fed sources. They have an excellent quality of meat all around. If you are buying meats at chain stores, you are buying second or third grade meats. Once you have a quality raised and processed meat, you easily tell the difference. Buying meat from a road side refrigerator truck is not something I would do myself. There is this dude that has a red school bus that sells fish frozen halibut here in Forest Grove and he moves around to keep one step ahead of the Health Department, and who ever he is stealing electricity from.

Couple of canneries on the coast say he buys their older dated fish and then resells it as frozen.

I buy grass fed when I buy whole. I pick out the calf, and when they start getting some good mass, 30 days before "S" day they get a good supplement of grains to sweaten (to put it simply) the beef. I buy from the same guy all the time. My buying from the roadside truck is a one-off while I wait for our kids to get on the meat wagon with us for a better price

I was raised on our own grass fed beef. I have thought about raising a couple but I don't really want to kill something I raised from a calf. I know it's what happens but as I get older I actually have less desire to kill things. It's why beef cattle exist.

I was raised on our own grass fed beef. I have thought about raising a couple but I don't really want to kill something I raised from a calf. I know it's what happens but as I get older I actually have less desire to kill things. It's why beef cattle exist.

It's a LOT easier if f you name them something like, "meatloaf", "pot roast", "sirloin". ;)

I could put a sign up on a truck that said "Organic Grass Fed Premium Beef". I could then sell people the cheapest cut of meat I could possible get from a bunch of downer cows, 10 year old dairy cows and other assorted non "premium" beef.

When you open it and cook it up and it tastes horrible, go find that truck and take it back to them and get your money back.

When we had our nursery, we sold a fair amount of bedding plants to this retail nursery. Stopped in there one day and they had them labeled as "organic". Not even close. Did I say anything ?? Hell no, they kept buying them so they could call them whatever they want to as long as their check clears the bank.

If eating cows is bad, then why did God make them so tasty?
Ditto on what Coastrange said on The Meating Place.
Costco carries USDA Prime. Usually nice looking cuts too. Some of the best (and cheapest) beef I have had though comes from Winco. You don't always have to spend a lot to get a great rib eye. A grill plate will do wonders.

You guys are making me want steak...
I've only ever bought smoked salmon from a roadside guy, as they always had the best stuff.
Any other meat and I would question if it had been stolen or was actually of good quality.
Actually saw a lady in estacada selling flowers that were all stolen from Fred Meyers. Watched her load up her blue pickup with hanging baskets one night. That weekend I was driving out and noticed that blue truck and those hanging baskets for sale... maybe coincidence, or maybe not.

I'll second WinCo!

It's a LOT easier if f you name them something like, "meatloaf", "pot roast", "sirloin". ;)

Yup, my grandpa that taught me to shoot had me feed and water T-Bone and Ribeye for months. Even jumped on the back of one of them for a very short time that it was tolerated lol.

Had no issues eating them - I did have a dog so I guess they were never pets but just another chore.

i have a buddy who has been a bucher for over 10 years. him and his brother are starting a mobile slaughter/buchering service. they just do it on the side at the moment but want to make something out of it so they can be their own boss. they take care of a lot of the farmers out in the hebo area of the oregon coast so far but are based in the salem area. they just bought an industrial meat grinder for burger and enclosed trailer that they are adding a refrigeration unit to. maybe if any of u guys are interested they can come to you and process your game meat/beef or whatever. when they get the ball rollin i'll let anyone interested know how to contact them.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top