Precision Rifle Series (PRS) matches around Portland area?

Discussion in 'Competitive Shooting' started by Nicholi2789, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Nicholi2789

Nicholi2789
    Beaverton

Hey guys,
    Recently got into the PRS scene after wanting to do it for ages. Done a few of the monthly matches up at Upper Nisqually Gun Club, but I'm looking around to see if there are any other regular matches closer to Portland or within an hour or two.
    Since the season is just ending I hope to actually shoot for points next year, but in the meantime I'd like to shoot as many matches as possible.
    Anybody have any leads?
    I know about the Rock Lake monthly match but that's even farther.
    Tbanks!

BobbyH, USMC-03, ron and 1 other person like this.
  2. Joe Link

Joe Link
    Portland, OR
    Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Vendor Lifetime Supporter Bronze Supporter

Watching this, I'm interested too :)

SKrueger, USMC-03 and titsonritz like this.
  3. titsonritz

titsonritz
    Oregon City
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Same, here. Tikka, Tikka, Tikka...

SKrueger likes this.
  4. ron

ron
    Vancouver, Washington
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Nicholas Young runs the High power matches at TCGC. Open to the public. Last Match
    was Nov. 4, 80 shots prone at 600 yards. At TCGC the 600 yard line is under cover.
    Winter months are prone only matches and the rest of the year it is 'across the course'
    200-300-600 yards standard National Match course.
    F class and Highpower shooters both shoot the match using different targets.
    F class shoot bi pod for slow fire prone. Highpower shooters are sling shooters no support.
    Last match we used electronic targets.:D DRRC shoots 600 and out to 1000 yard matches.
    I just shot the Oregon State Highpower championship at DRRC Oct. 27 and 28.

https://www.ossa.org/uploads/2/5/3/2/25326702/2018_highpower_schedule_r5.pdf
    DRRC 600 yard line. Second pic are Juniors shooting AR service rifle with iron sights.
    DSC00194.JPG
    DSC00195.JPG

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  5. Nicholi2789

Nicholi2789
    Beaverton

Very cool Ron. Thanks for the info.
    I've frequently considered shooting F class.
    I like shooting tiny groups as much as the next guy, but what I'm looking for are Precision rifle matches that require multi position shooting at steel targets at various ranges. I know they used to hold these type of matches at Tri County (of where I am a member) but haven't of late.
    I may come check out an F class match anyways. They look very interesting. Are you a regular attendee at these? When are they usually?
    Thanks for the reply!

SKrueger and ron like this.
  6. ron

ron
    Vancouver, Washington

USMC-03 and Joe Link like this.
  7. ron

ron
    Vancouver, Washington

Steel targets would be fun but I don't think it would be much precision? Score
    either a hit or miss? If you make a hit then where on the steel. At the edge or center?
    Than a miss is high, low, left or right?? When someone is pulling and marking each shot
    you know where each shot goes. During a 22 minute, 22 shot string of fire it is not
    uncommon to make several minutes change in windage from left to right.:D:D:D
    The top shooters can "Dope the Wind" by looking at the mirage through
    there spotting scope and making corrections BEFORE they make the next shot. Looking
    at the mirage and deciding if that is 1 minute left or 2.5 minutes left plus elevation changes?
    I have seen top shooters hardly drop a point on a windy day. At the Oregon State
    service rifle championship on Saturday the winner scored a 799-45X!!! Dropped one point
    all day at the 300 yard line!:eek::eek::eek:
    CMP - First Shot Online!

8. Greenbug

Greenbug
    Bend

Not a PRS match and not within 2 hours of PDX but I have fun at this "match" each month from April through October....
    From 200 yards out to 1760 yards prone. Mostly 6.5 Creedmoor shooters, a few 300 Win Mags in the mix, suppressor use is encouraged here! Steel targets, lots of them with lighted hit indicators. Pretty informal and lots of fun, a good place to learn with others.

Great Basin Precision Rifle (GBPR) | Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association (COSSA)

ron likes this.
  9. Nicholi2789

Nicholi2789
    Beaverton

There is quite of bit of precision involved actually.
    You are shooting anywhere from 200-1000 yards or further, at generally 1.5-2 moa targets under a 2 minute clock. There is usually always a barricade that you are shooting off of as well. So you have two minutes to build your position, get a wind call, and put 10-12 shots on a small target at extended ranges under varying wind conditions. It is very difficult and tests every facet of your shooting skills.
    For example, in the photo below. This stage is set on a 2 minute timer (as are most PRS stages). On the buzzer you have to build your position, make five shots off the laid down barrel at 490 yards at a 1.5 moa target. After your five shots you transition to the standing barrel and make 5 more shots at 600 yards. You are scored on your amount of hits.
    The stages can get very complicated and difficult and experienced shooters use the same skills to dope the wind. I.E. reading the wind, mirage, and other environmental factors to make a good wind call.
    The stages are always different requiring different positions to shoot from and sometimes 10 different ranges. So you are dialing between every shot. It really requires you know your dope, to have mastered positional shooting and building a stable position, AND being able to accurately read the wind.
    1.5 to 2 moa steel targets doesn't sound like much precision but when you are in an awkward position under a shot clock it is much harder than you think.
    The other photo below requires 12 shots on a two minute timer. 4 shots at 600 yards from the left point of the barricade, 4 shots at 450 yards in the middle then 4 shots from the right point at 565 yards.
    As you can see it's alot more difficult than one would think. Especially considering you never know the course of fire beforehand and have very limited time to plan your run. It definetely tests a person's practical shooting skills.
    20180805_105718.jpg Screenshot_20180901-181454_Video Player.jpg

IMG_3336.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2018
  10. Nicholi2789

Nicholi2789
    Beaverton

Thanks man! That sounds like a blast. I have a 6.5 I use for PRS and this really sounds like a good time. I've heard of COSSA range and intend to make it out there to check it out at some point.

11. ron

ron
    Vancouver, Washington

Where is this? Looks very challenging and fun.:p:D

12. Nicholi2789

Nicholi2789
    Beaverton

This particular match is at Upper Nisqually Sportmans club the first Saturday of every month. But the Precision Rifle Series itself is huge with matches all over the country.
    Here is the match calendar for this season. Facebook custom title
    Also Rock Lake Rifle range has a monthly match but it's too far to be practical for me.
    It's just wrapping up but the new season will start soon.
    It seriously is a ton of fun and will test your shooting skills to the max.

ron likes this.
  13. SKrueger

SKrueger
    West Coast
    Moderator Staff Member Diamond Supporter Gold Supporter 2017 Volunteer

OK now you got me intrigued. Thanks for sharing! :)

14. Nicholi2789

Nicholi2789
    Beaverton

It seriously is a good time. F class takes a ton of skill and precision but this takes a different kind.

SKrueger likes this.
  15. Nicholi2789

Nicholi2789
    Beaverton

For anyone that's interested, like I said, upper nisqually sportsman club has a monthly match first Saturday of every month. If you search the club on Practiscore you can find it. It cost 20$ to shoot the match. They usually post and open the registration a week before the match. You can also join the northwest precision shooters group on Facebook to get news about it.