JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Funny thing is diesel vehicles of all kinds are very popular in Europe and most of the world. They them in little tiny cars to their big rigs. Are they having the same problems we do?
Or is it the emissions that cause it all?
Thats one of the big ones on the 6.0 ford wasn't it?
My neighbor put the exhaust crap in his fuel tank,didn't start the truck but turned the key to release the steering .
Dealer said that might have put the fluid in the system so they replaced the entire fuel system :eek: $20k
Homeowners covered all but $2k but still that sucks.
I had a 90 something 454 chev I bought to haul my fifth wheel. Went to see my kid in California and it cost me $2k in fuel for down and back. I figured the next trip would pay for the difference on a diesel truck. I would have to argue the savings claims not being enough on a diesel.
My cummins was fine for every day and got decent mileage around town. But it shined on the longer hauls.
Until that potato truck got in the way:(

Funny thing is diesel vehicles of all kinds are very popular in Europe and most of the world. They them in little tiny cars to their big rigs. Are they having the same problems we do?
Or is it the emissions that cause it all?
Thats one of the big ones on the 6.0 ford wasn't it?
My neighbor put the exhaust crap in his fuel tank,didn't start the truck but turned the key to release the steering .
Dealer said that might have put the fluid in the system so they replaced the entire fuel system :eek: $20k
Homeowners covered all but $2k but still that sucks.
I had a 90 something 454 chev I bought to haul my fifth wheel. Went to see my kid in California and it cost me $2k in fuel for down and back. I figured the next trip would pay for the difference on a diesel truck. I would have to argue the savings claims not being enough on a diesel.
My cummins was fine for every day and got decent mileage around town. But it shined on the longer hauls.
Until that potato truck got in the way:(

We are talking about saving enough fuel to offset the added cost of the diesel on a new truck.

First thing is none of the new trucks get mileage like the old ones. Life average of my dad's 2012 6.7L. Is 12 MPG

Sure if you have a Dodge, baby it, never get above 55... you might get 22-23 MPG unloaded.... same as a half ton gas truck which the fuel cost.40 a gallon cheaper and the truck cost $20k cheaper. And if your only concern is unloaded mileage then you should not be driving a diesel anyway.

It's the government that has ruined diesels. First in 07 by mandating low sulfur fuel and then Emissions output restrictions that turn a motor capable of 25 MPG into one that gets 16 (but it's clean!)

My uncle always had big fancy trucks. Was always a chevy guys would buy a brand new one every 2-3 years.
He was helping a friend tow a trailer and a boat, his friend had a new ford f150 3.5L ecoboost.

The Ford V6 out towed his big block chevy.

Both of these were gas engines, but engine tech has come a long way.

I just wish I could afford any truck!

I like that Cummins. An inline 6 has class anyway, that thing is a beast.

A while back I was shopping around for used ones, and noticed some guy in S Oregon selling a Dodge 2500 with 850k miles on the clock. He still wanted something like $1500. :)

Never got one though. We did have one on that Wyoming dude ranch, but it went with the ranch.

Thank you everyone for your input. I have made my decision and purchased and Chevy 2500HD Duramax with a little push from my boss (Wife) who is a Chevy girl thanks to her family. Was going to get a ford with the 6.7 but they are all so close in performance that it didn't really matter and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

On another forum that had diesel mechanics I asked the same question about motors - basically "Diesel mechanics, which one would you buy for yourself". The answer came back Cummins, but we were talking older vehicles in the 2000 to 2005 range. My interest in diesel was the longevity of the engines (looking for older used to save $$$) and the stability of the fuel. Also looking for a more rural location and a lot of things can run on diesel helping to make it a common for all/most needs.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top