JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have a question about flash. Recently tried ammo called Angelfire. They advertise a lot so you may have seen it. When I use these rounds in my H&K I get a bright white flash unlike any ammo I have ever used. With other ammo I get none or occasionally a small yellowish flash, but this one scared the hell out of me when I used it. Only tried the 9mm. Any ideas?

For real? I do not get it. Why the bright white? Is there any advantages? As to Hellfire. Not familiar. Can you explain please? Trying to learn.

Oh! Because there is a product called "Hellfire" ammo from Ammo Marketplace.
I am thinking its the powder they use. Very bright white flash. Not found with any other ammo I have used.

Without more evidence, here is a couple possibilities: Better gun powders ( term used loosely) are made with additives to suppress the flash which slightly changes the characteristics of the chemical reaction that occurs when the powder is ignited. The result is a muzzle flash that usually is anywhere from very little flash, to a dull orange hue, rather than a bright white or yellow flash. In addition, too much powder and or powder burning too slow will still be burning (and wasted) long after leaving the barrel.
As an aside, If your flash is white, or even brilliant yellow, you may not have the ideal night fire load.
For what it's worth.

Thank you. You are 100% correct on other ammo with either none or a small yellowish flash. Just this one, and I am using 115 gr rounds, produces the brightest flash I have ever seen. First time it scare the heck out of me. Could it be hotter powder? Or is it simply too slow burning? Either way I am reluctant to use it again.

Thank you. You are 100% correct on other ammo with either none or a small yellowish flash. Just this one, and I am using 115 gr rounds, produces the brightest flash I have ever seen. First time it scare the heck out of me. Could it be hotter powder? Or is it simply too slow burning? Either way I am reluctant to use it again.
I wouldn't necessarily discount it for target use, if brass and primer doesn't show signs of overpressure degradation you should be good to use it up.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Nice introduction there, is this the same clearance amo you mentioned earlier?

As long as it seems to function properly in your gun and is safe, I'd count it as a fun novelty.

N, it's actually from Patriot Outfitters. They advertised Angelfire so much I had to try it. Scared the heck out of me when I first shot it though. Was not sure what was happening. But no issues with the H&K. However, I plan to stick with the AmmoValley ammo. They reman and new and no issues.

Welcome! The flash is just different powder and maybe a little more than you need for your barrel length. Some of the powder is still burning when the bullet leaves the barrel. Nothing to worry about as long as the case doesn't show signs of pressure.

I load varget most of the time for rifles, but sometimes use H4895 and it has a TOTALLY different smell (no flash) It is just different.

Now if its a BLUE flash, then that tends to precede a runaway Uranium reaction. (NUCLEAR ACCIDENT IN JAPAN: THE SCIENCE; A Flash, and an Uncontrolled Chain Reaction) so be real careful of that.... Or maybe not as you would die within a few minutes.

Last Edited:
Welcome! The flash is just different powder and maybe a little more than you need for your barrel length. Some of the powder is still burning when the bullet leaves the barrel. Nothing to worry about as long as the case doesn't show signs of pressure.

I load varget most of the time for rifles, but sometimes use H4895 and it has a TOTALLY different smell (no flash) It is just different.

Now if its a BLUE flash, then that tends to precede a runaway Uranium reaction. (Tokaimura nuclear accident - Wikipedia) so be real careful of that.... Or maybe not as you would die within a few minutes.

If my gun flashed blue, I'd name it The Blue Star.... or the noisy cricket. ;)

LOL. Yes, if a blue flash I would not be writing this today. Although there is a law in Berekley, CA(we call it Beserk-ly) that states "No nuclear explosions are permitted within the city limits." So Iam sure that law will prevent the blue flash and others from occuring. ;-)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews