JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i think classes teaching first time gun buyers isnt exactly a bad idea. right now just about anybody can go buy a gun and have no idea how to use it. if someone is going to buy a gun and carry it around, it would be nice to know they know how to use it. i dont know how i feel about that being mandatory tho. i would think that any honest citizen first time gun user would have no problem taking a small class on how to properly operate a firearm. but as one individual said in this thread, no amount of training or gun saftey is going to keep criminals from commiting crimes. now as far as doing background checks and possible psych evaluations before purchasing guns from a store, i could maybe see that. it would probably take longer, but that wouldnt bother me cause i dont buy guns from stores anyhow. i am completely against forcing all guns to be registered with the government. i dont think its their right to know how many guns i have or if i even have any for that matter. when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have them, and if/when they outlaw them and uncle sam comes knocking on my door to disarm me, what guns???

You are missing a couple things. WA has never required a government mandated training...ever. Is it a problem? No. A NRA certified instructors going broke? No... The state of WA decided that if it was the the individual's responsibility, they would take that responsibility, and do what was necessary FOR THAT INDIVIDUAL! Has it caused ANY problems? No.

Why do you think you are so wise that you can tell me, or anyone else, what instruction I (they) need? Well? It does not matter if it is me (I was a member of a competitive firearms team in the military, I have qualified with rifles, MG (light and heavy), pistols and MP) or my 5 daughters any my granddaughters, who have only had me for an instructor.

As for crime...do you really think that those with criminal intent care what the law is?

As soon as they create an effective test that people have to pass with a 90% minimum score to pass BEFORE they are allowed to procreate, because stupid people breeding more stupid people is a far bigger threat to public safety and national security than firearms crimes. Then MAYBE I'd entertain training and a test of compentency for first time gun buyers... see any pigs flying outside yet?

Wouldn't work. And you're giving too much power to the antis by mandating classes and "permitting people" to purchase firearms.

Our violence stems from media, entertainment, culture, drugs and potentially how one was raised. Those who will do harm.will.do it with or without a firearm and with or without the permission slip from a class.
Also noted the whole privilege to drive thing. I'd suggest looking at the right to travel principals. A vehicle is not something to be controlled by our government, its an item you use like a bike or any other instrument. They gave it the stigma that it was something to be taxed, registered, insured, approved and regulated. . And we let that happen too.

How about this: NO MORE GUN LAWS. We have enough. Thinking we can "law" our way to a safer society is just as stupid as thinking we can "spend" our way out of debt.

Also, the gun grabbers are going after "assault weapons", or scary black rifles, because they look scary. In reality, annual gun deaths by rifles, scary black rifles are a subset of rifles, are lower than knife AND the "other" category. The "other" category, is not a gun or knife.

I wish someone could do a study and show that say 1,000,000 people in the US own an AR, and of those 1,000,000 ARs 2 were used in a crime last year.

And there are say 42,000,000 knives in the country and 276,000 were used in violent crimes year.

Also it would be nice to see on the news someone explain that the AR style rifle is not fully automatic, or a machine gun, it does not fire 60 rnds per second and what not.
The only thing the media shows are politicians fear tactics and what not.

Wish Kevin or somebody at OFF or likewise organization could do a good an interview with Katu, probably never happen though.

Am I really one of the only ones who remember how we learned to shoot back in the 50's and 60'. When I was 8, my parents gave me a BB gun. The other kids had them too and we were pretty good at shooting tin cans. No one messed with them as the older kids would have turned us in and we'd of had our butts spanked. When I was 10 our Cub Scout troop arranged for us to learn how to shoot 22's. We used the indoor range at Ft. Lawton in Seattle and for several weeks we got to shoot and learn the "rules' regarding firearms. After that my parents bought me a .22, but since my dad being a sailor was never hope a friend’s dad used to take me target shooting at the Pickle Factory in Kent. I was hooked. Bought a .303 at Sears for $13 and off we went.
Of course the Army give me the pleasure of learning how to fire the really exciting guns. That was 1969. When I had kids we started my oldest at 8 and my youngest was 5. We were the house where if other parents wanted their children to learn how to shoot BB guns, they called us and asked if we would teach them. Many of them still shoot. My youngest went on to be an Army Ranger. Kind of funny while he was at RIP he had to show another buck sergeant how to take apart an AK-47.
I guess my point is why aren't we taking on the personal responsibility to teach others. Do any of you really think the Government can manage any program successfully? (Ever heard of social security, Medicare or the Post Office). Any plan by the Government to train us to justify owning a firearm is just a first step to them controlling sales and disallowing civilians to have a firearm in their possession.
I vote "No"!

second that thank you

You are missing a couple things. WA has never required a government mandated training...ever. Is it a problem? No. A NRA certified instructors going broke? No... The state of WA decided that if it was the the individual's responsibility, they would take that responsibility, and do what was necessary FOR THAT INDIVIDUAL! Has it caused ANY problems? No.

Why do you think you are so wise that you can tell me, or anyone else, what instruction I (they) need? Well? It does not matter if it is me (I was a member of a competitive firearms team in the military, I have qualified with rifles, MG (light and heavy), pistols and MP) or my 5 daughters any my granddaughters, who have only had me for an instructor.

As for crime...do you really think that those with criminal intent care what the law is?

ya that actually makes perfect sense. you prove a good point. and as for your last question, absolutely not. i think just about every person in here would agree no matter what laws you put in place, not matter how many restrictions you put out there, criminals will commit crimes, thats why they are called criminals. and guns will always be available to criminals no matter what laws or restrictions or bans you put in place.

A long time ago there was a cooperative firearms safety and training program available to young people across the country (voluntary basis) where the government supplied surplus military .22 training rifles and the NRA supplied certified instructors. Many tens of thousands of young people learned proper respect for and safe handling of guns. Then came the cry from uninformed people that the government was giving guns to kids, etc. The program was stopped. Good training programs became much harder to find in many areas. Another example of uninformed people thinking they're doing something good while actually making things worse.

I remember going to YMCA summer camp in the summers. We shot 22's there too. That was at the old boy scout camp up at Lake of the Woods. Prolly cant do it any more, too many people around. Good times.

Seems like there's a lot of consensus on not being able to stop crime and that any kind of mandatory training goes too far down a slippery slope. I think there's more to talk about with the latter but I'm still understanding the precedent for such fear.

I don't think we can stop the Adam Lanzas through gun control and the stauncher of you seem like education, for which there's already precedent such as hunter's safety and CCW courses, is just abominable.

How do we reduce the dangers of outright stupidity among gun owners? I think for anti's, this is really one of the sticking points and misunderstandings that people don't know how to directly articulate. I'm thinking about that kid that was shot and died as his dad was getting into his truck outside the pawn shop and the fact that people are still getting hit with celebratory gunfire on New Years. As for another experience, I'll just say that if you've ever been downrange when people started shooting, you get really tired of that bubblegum really fast, am I right?

If you can't stand education, what do you suggest? I want my rights to do what I want and I think responsible folks should, but I'm getting kind of pissed by the folks who are ruining it for us by creating bad press and endangering my life with something I enjoy to the core.

In medicine, it's a prudent evolution that nurses and doctors are getting more power to influence patients' ability to hold a driver's license. There are some people that just shouldn't be on the road and they give off signs. For those of you who go 'RAH 2ND AMENDMENT RAH', most days I'm right there with you, but how much stupid will you tolerate in defending a random stranger's rights when being dangerous with a firearm?

It's the feeling that one of these days, I'm gonna be caught downrange without cover or on the road a shoulder to swerve on to. Or maybe it's just the price of freedom that I have to dodge bullets and oncoming traffic.

Training should not be mandatory. It should be reflex. Like teaching a child to use the bathroom, or bathe, or look both ways before crossing the street. Society has become numb.

We need to get back to the basics, hell, all of us are guilty of it sitting here at the keyboard arguing and speculating. In the not so distant past, firearms were essential to survive, children needed to know how to safely use them so they would not win a Darwin award.

Come on guys, we know better than this. Teach the kids, and make sure they teach their kids. Start the cycle over again, we have to get back to basics. Those of us older guys can survive with out this electronic input, but I'm afraid that we are the last generation to do so. We need to unplug our kids, and teach them about life.

Seems like there's a lot of consensus on not being able to stop crime and that any kind of mandatory training goes too far down a slippery slope. I think there's more to talk about with the latter but I'm still understanding the precedent for such fear.

I don't think we can stop the Adam Lanzas through gun control and the stauncher of you seem like education, for which there's already precedent such as hunter's safety and CCW courses, is just abominable.

How do we reduce the dangers of outright stupidity among gun owners? I think for anti's, this is really one of the sticking points and misunderstandings that people don't know how to directly articulate. I'm thinking about that kid that was shot and died as his dad was getting into his truck outside the pawn shop and the fact that people are still getting hit with celebratory gunfire on New Years. As for another experience, I'll just say that if you've ever been downrange when people started shooting, you get really tired of that bubblegum really fast, am I right?

If you can't stand education, what do you suggest? I want my rights to do what I want and I think responsible folks should, but I'm getting kind of pissed by the folks who are ruining it for us by creating bad press and endangering my life with something I enjoy to the core.

In medicine, it's a prudent evolution that nurses and doctors are getting more power to influence patients' ability to hold a driver's license. There are some people that just shouldn't be on the road and they give off signs. For those of you who go 'RAH 2ND AMENDMENT RAH', most days I'm right there with you, but how much stupid will you tolerate in defending a random stranger's rights when being dangerous with a firearm?

It's the feeling that one of these days, I'm gonna be caught downrange without cover or on the road a shoulder to swerve on to. Or maybe it's just the price of freedom that I have to dodge bullets and oncoming traffic.

What part of "shall not be infringed" is so difficult to comprehend?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top