JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK serious question here. Other than the Indonesia tsunami, have there been videotaped records of giant tsunami, like what is always shown in disaster movies and the like, being a single giant breaking wave? Because the Indonesia one, I think it looked more like a rapidly increasing tidal wave, coming in at a pace thats clearly too fast but is not like a single giant breaking wave that continues unbroken until it hit the shore itself; but rather the ones I see on videos, seem to break in the same zone, and the resulting wall of water most resembles the standard tide coming in, just on much much larger magnitude.

the Indonesia one hitting a jetty or seawall, that looks A LOT like the classical tsunami, but granted, the seawall there was a break point for it, as opposed to the shore itself. Still terrifying.

a 500+ ft one? even worst. Likely will wipe out the entire coastal area of Oregon, at least up to Pioneer Mountain Summit on HWY 20 West, a summit of only 377 feet? I know the Cline Hill is 770 feet and its further East of Pioneer summit.

OK serious question here. Other than the Indonesia tsunami, have there been videotaped records of giant tsunami, like what is always shown in disaster movies and the like, being a single giant breaking wave? Because the Indonesia one, I think it looked more like a rapidly increasing tidal wave, coming in at a pace thats clearly too fast but is not like a single giant breaking wave that continues unbroken until it hit the shore itself; but rather the ones I see on videos, seem to break in the same zone, and the resulting wall of water most resembles the standard tide coming in, just on much much larger magnitude.

the Indonesia one hitting a jetty or seawall, that looks A LOT like the classical tsunami, but granted, the seawall there was a break point for it, as opposed to the shore itself. Still terrifying.

a 500+ ft one? even worst. Likely will wipe out the entire coastal area of Oregon, at least up to Pioneer Mountain Summit on HWY 20 West, a summit of only 377 feet? I know the Cline Hill is 770 feet and its further East of Pioneer summit.

Downtown PDX is only 30 or 40 feet above sea level. Any tsunami, be it 20 ft or 500ft, will force its way up the Columbia, and down the Willamette if its big enough, flooding everything around it. Same with the Sound in Washington. There just wont be a violent crash like on the coast.

Umm, what exactly is it that supposedly would make the big island slough off and fall into the ocean?

Not gonna happen.
There's actually geological evidence that this has occurred previously. Remember, there are no fault lines on the Hawaiian islands, they are made from a hot spot and are entirely made of lava. The easy rift zone falling into the ocean would be cause by a large earthquake, and the shelf of the island could possibly fall off. It is very unlikely.

Last Edited:
Yep whiskey and a front row seat to the cleansing of the PNW!! Hey Trump can't do it alone, to make America great again he will need some help.
It's really not just the PNW, the destruction would include the West coast of South America, Alaska, Japan, easy Russia, and all of the Western Pacific islands.

There are plenty of Japan tsunami videos out there

There is records that a huge Tsunami hit the Oregon Coast, according to geological records in the 1700's and was about 80 feet. Now thats looking at old records could have been bigger or smaller its not like they had Wikipedia back then LOL

A 500' tsunami hitting the Oregon coast?
How much lead time do I have? Guess I'd head to Timberline, but that might take a day or more, with traffic...
Otherwise, break out the Jack Daniels and a good stogie... Nothing left to do but say Bye...

Get out the mortars and 50 cal, and level the neighbor's house to get a better view of the incoming wave. Then smoke your Cuban and sip your Glenmorangie.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top