JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know that a lot of us here are Veterans or support Veterans and the Active Duty.

I've been out long enough now that I've come to realize my hate for the military was "Rage Against The Machine" and have missed my Brothers and Sisters.

Within the last five years, I've started attending the Portland SubVets Meetings and realized that regardless of age or generation, that all of us that served on Submarines are the same types.

The other thing that I've realized is that the younger generation of Veterans are not showing up at these gatherings, life or career taking precedent. I understand that... for years I was the same way, though looking back, I wish someone had talked about getting involved in a Veterans Group when I was just out. Since joining this group of Veterans, I've been able to get to know WW2 Submariners that have truly been a part of history. I've been able to learn about the change in the submarine force from Diesel Electric to Nuclear and even though technology changed, the service was essentially the same... Engineering always has the worst of it, the screw is always back aft. I've learned that the USS Blueback at OMSI is maintained by an all volunteer working crew.

Transitioning from Active Duty to Civilian Veteran is something that every Service-member has to navigate and it can be hard. Some people don't need help and guidance, but then again there are some that do. Getting involved with a Veteran's Service Group can ease transition, affirm career decisions, provide guidance or it can allow an avenue of providing mentoring to others.

This year, the Portland SubVets are helping with the USS Oregon SSN-793 Commissioning which should take place in 2021. It's a lot of work but we have a strong group of volunteers but could always use more.

If you're interested in learning more about Portland SubVets - PM me

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads