JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got my S&W m629 Performance Center Carry Comp that I had to send back for a misaligned barrel. I am being a little picky but I am not about to accept a gun that has a four figure price tag that has a canted barrel. The letter inside the box said it was fixed, but it is not. In fact it is in worse condition than when I sent it. Check out the video below to see the details.

Poor Customer Service From S&W - YouTube

I don't have personal experience with S&W, but I always heard good things about their customer service.

If it does not fixed by 2nd time, tell them to buy it back. I wouldn't be happy with that either.

S&W Performance Center is very hit or miss. I just moved back home after 8 years in the People's Republic of Massatwosh*ts and there are a lot of bad and good stories about SWPC. Send it back and take no excuses. They will make it right, eventually.

Personally I send out any pistol I want a serious job on to Gregg Derr at Derr Precision. He will do as good a job as any pistol smith in the country at reasonable prices.

He did this piece for me from a stock parkerized 1911:

1911A1_DerrPrecision1.jpg

Jeez man, what is it about you that makes customer service types screw with you?! This is the 3rd thread in almost as many weeks about jacked up customer service that's gotten your dander up. It must be you, that's all I can figure because I've never had this much trouble with customer service dealings. But I'll be sure to steer clear of S&W's Performance Center and 4 digit price tagged guns. Thanks for the warning

S&W has had problems with canted barrels lately, as well as cracked frames on airweights. As I understand it, if a barrel is canted but "within spec" (whatever that is), you may be SOL. This is not something the average smith can fix, or almost any smith for that matter. You may have to hang tough and demand a replacement if they will not make it right. It's a shame, I wish you luck.

I had a 642 with a number of problems - poor crown and poor crane fit to start. So, I sent it back to S&W where they fixed those two problems, but left me with a canted barrel. Back to S&W a second time and they fixed the problem. They were very nice about it, but I agree the lengthy process was frustrating & it shouldn't have needed two trips.

Was looking at Model 10's at the gun show today - wow, they really made them well "back then". Comparing the crane fit (for example) on the old Model 10 to my Model 60 (2001) is night-and-day in terms of quality.

And, don't get me started about Marlin quality - saw a new 1894C at the show with terrible wood and checkering. Just all-around bad looking.

That's the wave of the future, get used to it. S&W, Colt and Springfield Armory are all hit or miss. A few years ago I was tasked with a group buy from Springfield Armory, fifteen guns with a particualr type of sights installed. They said sure and quoted a price, after several phonecalls and a nine month delay they said, "we have plenty of back orders and do not need your business." I agreed.

Colt actually sent me a letter stating their "Gold Cup National Match" is not intended to be accurate. It states in part, delivers 2.5-3.5" inch groups at 25yds with match ammunition. With a 1.7" X-ring they make a gun that cannot shoot X's at 25yds, awesome. No X's means no Gold Cup and no winning anything at the Nationals.

I called S&W and asked them about reblueing a late 50's revolver, they said they could not do a very good job and recommended I try a gunsmith.

Thus I shop elsewhere for firearms and service.

Yeah i think the biggest problem with the whole situation is you did not consider buying a high quality pistol like a hi-point!

But seriously to the OP i really hope you get the problem with the canted barrel fixed for you, I would be heartbroken if i had payed so much for a piece and have problems with it.

I would be ticked as well and I am a Smith and Wesson fan. :(

I think I posted on your earlier thread that my 386 Night Guard had the fixed sight way off. I switched it out for an adjustable so I could shoot point of impact/point of aim when not using the lasergrip... :( All this shoddy workmanship will do is drive up prices for the good guns they used to make and drive away previously loyal customers.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top