JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Folks:

If you had $700 to spend on a small, reliable, fairly accurate single stack 9MM what would your choice be? I have a Walther PPS and would like something a tad bit smaller.

Thank You:

James

hmmm ... depends on your pocket doesn't it! Smaller than a PPS? Single stack ... and from the subject heading, pocket-able?

KelTec PF9, with hornady 115gr for SD; upgraded with a Northwood trigger. Pocket-able in cargos and ummm, loose fit jeans! A Galco STO652 IWB holster for dress jeans/slacks. Lifetime warranty (it's true, I know).

I also have a Solo (with Fed 124gr for SD), though that's likely out of your budget. Holster is an IWB Summer Comfort

+1 with wolf and 2gr8dgs (huh, both woofers); kahr has a great trigger out of the box with v.good white dot sights; the 938 is a SIG, has night sights and has that mini 1911 look if you like it ... out of the box (new) either is good choice. A Kahr CW9 is a little cheaper. Either of the Kahrs are not jeans pocket-able, more cargo pants. The PM9 is likely a better choice than a PF9, that depends on how it feels for you.

Don't overlook the Beretta Nano ... SIG P290 RS (I like this), DiamondBack DB9 (you'll have to try it yourself)
Rohrbaugh R9 - very nice if you can find one in your budget; I would consider the R9 a real pocket gun (just my opinion folks!)

Older AMT Backups in 9mm are also good at that end of the spectrum too ... many ARE reliable but are backup guns, not range guns. Definitely pocket-able.

Do you want to spend a lot of time practicing with the eventual choice of a pocket-able 9mm?

And a lot of M&P Shield owners aren't complaining; the M&P 9c is about the same size as the Shield, though some would have objective thoughts on either being really 'pocket-able'.

S&W J-frames don't do it?

Get to a range that rents and try a few pocket 9!

Others will chime in with their opinions ...

:)

I LOVE my P938, it is fantastically concealable, superbly accurate (for a tiny pistol), and is just plain fun to shoot. I would put that cash on one again in a heartbeat. I have shot a ton of those sub compacts, and that one is the best. So long as you are up for a cocked and locked baby 1911 in your pocket. Mine is IWB, haven't bought a pocket holster yet, and definitely won't carry without one...

The newer the P938, the better. Using larger bullets is something a lot of owners have had to do, mine devours garbage 115 grain Win White Box without a issue. At the very least, if you get a cranky one, Sig has done a great job squaring up the little guns. If you find yourself down our way I'd be happy to let you try mine. I've sold a couple friends on them, now they're trying to score deals on the respective model choices.

I have a S&W Airweight Model 632 "Centennial" revolver that works really well. Moderately powerful (.32 H&R Magnum) six rounds (as quick as you please) and as accurate as one could hope.

Scott

I currently carry a Kel-Tec P-11 that works quite well. Don't want a 380, (not enough penetration for my taste.) It's either that or my .32 Magnum that will "accomplish the task."

Scott

This

Change them out for a set of XS Big Dots.

IMO the S&W 442/642 is the greatest pocket handgun ever created. That said I agree with wombat. The J-frame is a true pros gun, unless you are willing to take the time and dedication it requires to truly be competent with it you should skip it in favor of a quality auto.

I seem to shoot really well with my .32 Magnum. It hits hard and penetrates deeply. Accurate fire isn't an issue. The problem is that everyone wants a hot load in a "pocket revolver."

There's always someone with "more money than brains." Bubba buys a 2" barreled Airweight .38 Special, loads it to the gunwales with +P ammunition. He then complains about how it is difficult to shoot. (Never admitting that he made a mistake, because he would be seen as "unmanly" or "weak.") This is the foolhardiness that causes no end of trouble along with the hue and cry about the short barreled .38 S&W Special being "uncontrollable."

While shooting discipline is important, trying to hold a stick of dynamite in your hand (a Scandium .357 Magnum) and use it to show everyone how much strength (or courage) you have, is stupid.

Scott

^^I have zero experience with the 32 mags and even though the ballistics and sixth round are attractive it is just too oddball of a caliber for me to consider over the old school 38 spl. You are spot on about the power level overloading of this these little revolvers, its lame. I've personally had an S&W 342 pull bullets and jam the action after 3 shots using CorBon +p ammo (just what you need in a gun fight). A 357 J-frame is ludicrous, that little bent plate between the barrel and frame at the cylinder gap ought to be the first clue.

The long hard trigger pull, minimal sight radius, limited capacity coupled with a difficult and slow reload process and fragile nature of the revolver design are more of an issue. Typically if an auto loader malfunctions they are easily brought back into the fight while revolvers are usually out of the fight.

If I could take you out with my Model 632 Airweight Centennial, you would be in for a pleasant surprise. For practice, the .32 Longs are a true delight and the .32 Magnums are an easy shoot. The .32 Magnum is quite effective, and is cheap to handload. If you'd like to try it, leave me a note, and we can arrange to let you shoot the cartridge later this spring.

Scott

IMO For a pocket gun, well any defensive handgun, you can break it down to 2 things.
you have confidence in it.
you shoot it well.
I was going to say 3 things. It should feel good in the hand. but if you shoot it well, & have confidence in it, how it feels is irrelevant. some of my glocks fall into this category. I love j frames but agree, it is no gun for a novice.

I bought and carry a Diamondback DB9.

Its small enough for the front pocket of my jeans and looks like a baby Glock.
I love the look and feel and when it runs smoothly, it shoots great even though its such a small frame.

I put some cheaper fmj ammo (which I've read they can have trouble with) through it this weekend and could barely get through a mag without an issue...now I'm not confident in it for carry... atleast I won't be until I can put a bunch of premium SD JHPs through it without an issue...

maybe should have bought a Kahr PM9...

Love my 642. Reliable as a brick, powerful, easy to carry as it fits in a skinny guy's front pocket, and a bad *** piece, not for lightweights. It takes some work to be able to shoot well. It'll blacken your off hand thumb but it's so easy to carry that you don't leave it behind.

I went to the gun show in Puyallup today and got to get a feel for many of the smaller 9's. The PM9 probably felt the best but I also liked the Nano and 938. I have owned many J'frames with the model 60 my favorite but at nearly 60 years old I want to make a change. I will make a decision soon.

Thanks for the help.

James