JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

548D9A2D-72AB-409D-A07C-D8ADD66EEA5F.png

After watching the linked video with all of that audio attached I have some thoughts on this. A little sadness at his loss (he sounded like a decent sort of guy honestly).
In truth, his problems were probably not that much more serious than many of us here have. It was his response that was extreme. Despair never helps a situation. Reporters are probably lined up on the sidewalk in front of his family's homes. :( But, he was so consumed with himself that he didn't think about what he was dumping on them. I don't drink, but this is what they make local watering holes and bartenders for.

Glad he didn't try and swipe my Bird! Lol
Mine does require a key and it has a specific start sequence ( same as most other aircraft with this type of engine/propeller!) That said, mine dosnt normally have doors or any sort of security, it all comes down to how secure the hanger is, and the air park it's self.
This guy was a maintainer, so he would know all the ins and outs, and is prolly also a pilot, many are, so he would have the basic skills to start up and taxi and ultimatly take off! All that said,................................

How did he get past the tower gound control with out some one alerted, he didn't! Next, the approach controller would have ground stopped all departures, and diverted all inbound and put them in a orbit hold at 25 miles stacked at 1000 foot vertical separation and 5 miles horizontal! As soon as he started moving on the ground, the A.T.C. would have called the threat and the Air Force would launch the 2 min alerts to intercept that plane! Had that been Portland ( Yankee StarBase 1) he never would have gotten off the ground, the F-15s would have smoked him!
R.O.E.s for a domestic flight, if it's declared a threat, it's smoke and fire as soon as the intercept is on site to take the shot. Before 9/11, it would have required a visual i.d. and then 3 calls over the radios, and two very aggressive show maneuvers to convince the pilot of said aircraft that it would be a good idea to land or to take it out some place safe and crash it! Now days over a urban area, the interceptors will try the above, but will take him out instantly if he dosnt comply. The risks of collateral damage is less then a loaded and fueled plane crashing into a densely populated area! In other words, a measured risk!

Glad he didn't try and swipe my Bird! Lol
Mine does require a key and it has a specific start sequence ( same as most other aircraft with this type of engine/propeller!) That said, mine dosnt normally have doors or any sort of security, it all comes down to how secure the hanger is, and the air park it's self.
This guy was a maintainer, so he would know all the ins and outs, and is prolly also a pilot, many are, so he would have the basic skills to start up and taxi and ultimatly take off! All that said,................................

How did he get past the tower gound control with out some one alerted, he didn't! Next, the approach controller would have ground stopped all departures, and diverted all inbound and put them in a orbit hold at 25 miles stacked at 1000 foot vertical separation and 5 miles horizontal! As soon as he started moving on the ground, the A.T.C. would have called the threat and the Air Force would launch the 2 min alerts to intercept that plane! Had that been Portland ( Yankee StarBase 1) he never would have gotten off the ground, the F-15s would have smoked him!
R.O.E.s for a domestic flight, if it's declared a threat, it's smoke and fire as soon as the intercept is on site to take the shot. Before 9/11, it would have required a visual i.d. and then 3 calls over the radios, and two very aggressive show maneuvers to convince the pilot of said aircraft that it would be a good idea to land or to take it out some place safe and crash it! Now days over a urban area, the interceptors will try the above, but will take him out instantly if he dosnt comply. The risks of collateral damage is less then a loaded and fueled plane crashing into a densely populated area! In other words, a measured risk!
Why didn't they take him out then? Or did I misunderstand your post?

I don't know why they didn't smoke him, maybe because they had been in contact with him for a while before the F-15s got there and knew he wasn't a terrorist! Ether way, they showed quite a bit of restraint dealing with him and convincing him to ether land or go some place and crash!

I don't know why they didn't smoke him, maybe because they had been in contact with him for a while before the F-15s got there and knew he wasn't a terrorist! Ether way, they showed quite a bit of restraint dealing with him and convincing him to ether land or go some place and crash!
They sure did.

Commercial aircraft don't have keys, and ATC isn't going to call out the military or shut down the airport because one airplane isn't talking, at least not for quite awhile. They're going to keep other airplanes away from the unresponsive one and try to keep things moving as best they can.

It was very sad listening to the ATC recording of this incident, but it's hilarious watching the media flip out over this. Airport security is laughable anyway, but there isn't really anything that can be done to prevent this type of thing, short of putting guards around EVERY SINGLE AIRPLANE THERE. Even then, who's going to guard the guards? Not to mention, who's going to foot that bill?

I'm sure the TSA will use this to harass you at the gates even more now. I know it's unrelated but it seems not matter what happens in the world it's our fault.

I'm sure the TSA will use this to harass you at the gates even more now. I know it's unrelated but it seems not matter what happens in the world it's our fault.

It is a typical government "do something syndrome". In the same bag as gun control in Chicago. Security at smaller airports will be the next arena. ---just like gun free zones.

Even though protocals might exist for something like this it was probably such an iscolated incident they really didn't know what to do. The guy was authorized to move aircraft with a tug so it probably didn't seem out of ordinary.

Why didn't they take him out then? Or did I misunderstand your post?

Political considerations. Kind of like when people think the police should just "shoot them in the leg" or just "wound them." If they had smoked him the sh*t storm from the media would have been overwhelming. As long as he kept making circles in the sky he was good, make a move towards a populated area and he would have been eliminated. They had a firing solution already to go on him and it would have been nothing more than the flip of a switch and a button press ( upon approval from some REMF somewhere) and he would have been hosed.

The bunker-dwelling, black helicopter crowd is coming out.
1. There is no "Kentron" island.
2. There is no such submarine since 2003.
3. I see no sub base.
4. I see no petroleum facilities.

Other than that pretty accurate.

From the Wiki: "Richard B. Russell was both decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 24 June 1994. She was stored at Bremerton, Washington, until 1 October 2001, when she entered the Nuclear-Powered Ship and Submarine Recycling Program at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton for scrapping. Her scrapping was completed on 3 January 2003."

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 12.41.12 PM.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads