Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Phosphate Coating and/or Parkerizing Services

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by SLO, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SLO

SLO Portland Member

Does anyone know of a place to have some small internal parts phosphate coated? Is phosphate the same as parkerizing? I have found conflicting information in the searches I have done. Thanks!

2. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

When phosphate coatings were first used for firearms (roughly WW2 I think) it was a zinc phosphate coating, that was refered to as Parkerizing, there is also mangenese phosphate coating currently used on many firearms, most notably on all of the steel parts of AR15's. I have seen the term parkerizing and phosphate coating used for both.

contrary to the negatives put out there by the "Bubba" coating companies, a phosphate coating is very durable when properly applied and allowed to cure. How often are the steel parts of your ar rusty?

3. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

I can Manganese phosphate/parkerize your small parts if you don't mind shipping them up to WA.....

4. SLO

SLO Portland Member

They are small parts so that shouldn't be an issue. Do you by chance know whether Sig uses Manganese or Zinc?

5. eganx

eganx Kingston WA Active Member

I do not know what SIG uses.