JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As in making my guns mine. I have a bunch of guns that are test fixtures for my business and I leave them box stock. They work for what they do but I have no great passion for them. I like them and shoot them but when it's to be a gun day fun day they get left in the safe. On the other hand are my guns and yes they are test fixtures as well but I guess I just like them better and so put some thought and effort into making them "mine". I like left handed bolt guns with Leupold scopes shooting my handloaded heavy for caliber pet loads. I've got 3 center fire and a 22 all set up the same way. My rifles, my way. Handguns are the same way, but different. My Glock 22 has a Storm Lake barrel, a fiber optic front sight and I took 80 grit sand paper to the grip for better traction. I took a plain jane GI model Rock Island 38 super and turned it into upgraded model with a beavertail, rock slide and other internal work. Again my guns, my way. You get the idea, other guns have gotten other things like grips and the "just right" holster. As time becomes available I dig deeper into the safe for the next make it mine project...... I'd like to find a 26" barrel with screw in chokes for my BPS and then have my old stock barrel shortened to riot gun length (20") making a BPS riot shotgun. Don't worry I'll use my own tape measure. You get the idea, there is always what's next. I guess that's what makes me a gun guy, I just like to tinker on, load for and shoot my guns. Any other gun guys out there, if so what's your make it yours projects?

I built a "Bapty" version of Raiders Indiana Jones S&W .45 out of a damaged 1917 revolver. Shortened the barrel, custom made front sight soldered on. Working on refinishing.

I too make my guns mine. Many custom grips, but other mods as well.

Joe

Screenshot_20221203-153932_Gallery.jpg

Change out sights...add grips that fit....yep.

Move sights along a barrel...and fill in the old dovetail slot...yep again.

Add tacks or a rawhide wrap...done that...

Shorten the barrel of a rifle or fusil...done that too...

Do some raised carving or incised carving...add a bone or metal inlay...done that as well...

Converted a flintlock to percussion...been known to do that.

Restore a not too sporterized military rifle back to how it looked when as issued...or...
Converting a 03A3 that was already drilled and tapped to a 03A4...Just 'casue I had the proper 03A4 scope , mounts and rings...done those as well.
Andy

I have been working on my Glock but it's not ready yet. I put this on it when they were on sale for under $300

Also putting a Timney trigger in it.

Plus an extended takedown part from Ranch products.

If everything works well together then I will personalize it with some

I need to make it clear to my heirs that all of the triggers, springs, bolt catches, safeties, sights, grips, stocks, forends and so forth that they find in aftermarket packaging are the factory parts. The new parts are in the guns.

I paint all of my guns purple so that when I go to the range people mutter under their breath behind my back and then when I can't shoot worth a darn I blame the color of the gun and that makes me feel better..

As in making my guns mine. I have a bunch of guns that are test fixtures for my business and I leave them box stock. They work for what they do but I have no great passion for them. I like them and shoot them but when it's to be a gun day fun day they get left in the safe. On the other hand are my guns and yes they are test fixtures as well but I guess I just like them better and so put some thought and effort into making them "mine". I like left handed bolt guns with Leupold scopes shooting my handloaded heavy for caliber pet loads. I've got 3 center fire and a 22 all set up the same way. My rifles, my way. Handguns are the same way, but different. My Glock 22 has a Storm Lake barrel, a fiber optic front sight and I took 80 grit sand paper to the grip for better traction. I took a plain jane GI model Rock Island 38 super and turned it into upgraded model with a beavertail, rock slide and other internal work. Again my guns, my way. You get the idea, other guns have gotten other things like grips and the "just right" holster. As time becomes available I dig deeper into the safe for the next make it mine project...... I'd like to find a 26" barrel with screw in chokes for my BPS and then have my old stock barrel shortened to riot gun length (20") making a BPS riot shotgun. Don't worry I'll use my own tape measure. You get the idea, there is always what's next. I guess that's what makes me a gun guy, I just like to tinker on, load for and shoot my guns. Any other gun guys out there, if so what's your make it yours projects?
custom grips for me mostly on pistols. Wood, antler or stone. I have a p238 with howlite grips. Quite striking looking. Many of my revolvers have wood with a Celtic cross and knots on them

Rifles I like a stock that works for a lefty shooter, and a good scope and possibly a foregrip. Most have a place to mount a bipod. 10/22s are a different matter They are all rather heavily customized.

Nothing stays stock for long around me. Making them your own and belittling your friends for not customizing their guns is 80% of the fun.

Spalted maple grips, better triggers, silencers or camo spray paint (for ARs). Have never seen any black poodle-popper that looked any worse after a rattle can camo job. It's a low bar to clear for sure, but that keeps the steps easy.

I'm kind of surprised not to see more of the look what I built out of legos and customized with a wood burning pencil crowd, while that might not be my cup of tea, IMHO it all counts towards making it your's. Unless all that effort is so you can sell it to someone else, then never mind.

custom grips for me mostly on pistols. Wood, antler or stone. I have a p238 with howlite grips. Quite striking looking. Many of my revolvers have wood with a Celtic cross and knots on them

Rifles I like a stock that works for a lefty shooter, and a good scope and possibly a foregrip. Most have a place to mount a bipod. 10/22s are a different matter They are all rather heavily customized.
I wanna see the grips, 'specially, the stone.
I'm in the process of some uniquely sourced granite 1911 grips.

Joe

20230610_154012.jpg

Not mine but my wife's. She found a stoeger coach gun in 20 ga and it's now at the local shotgun guys shop getting the stock fit to her and a recoil pad installed. When we get it back I'll dis-able the auto safety and slick it up for her.

Many people including myself prefer stock or non permanent modifications when buying used. Some of these permanent changes that one loves does not help resale.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews