JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pasco man fights off would-be robbers at Walmart, 4 arrested
By Paula Horton — Tri-City Herald staff
Posted: 10:31am on May 31, 2012; Modified: 5:22pm on May 31, 2012

Three Pasco teens and a 33-year-old woman were arrested Wednesday after reportedly trying to rob a man in the Walmart parking lot.

The suspects, however, apparently picked the wrong victim to target because the 31-year-old Pasco car refused to comply with their demands and fought them off even as one of the suspects pulled out a gun, said Pasco police Capt. Jim Raymond.

The robbery occurred at 8:15 p.m. in the northeast corner of the Walmart parking on Road 68.

Two 16-year-old boys and a 15-year-old boy approached the victim as he was getting into his truck and demanded money from him, Raymond told the Herald.

The victim said no and then got out of his truck to confront the suspects.

One of the teens apparently pulled a gun and a struggle ensued, with the victim continuing to fight off the would-be robbers.

An apparent witness called 911 during the incident and the suspects eventually gave up and jumped into a waiting car driven by Rose Elizabeth Venor of Pasco.

A Franklin County sheriff’s deputy happened to be in the area on Road 68 just north of Walmart and he was able to stop the fleeing car, Raymond said.

All four suspects were arrested on suspicion of first-degree robbery. The teens were taken to the juvenile detention center and Venor was booked into the Franklin County jail.

Police generally recommend victims comply with robbers’ demands when in a similar situation and Raymond noted that Wednesday’s incident could have had a much different outcome when the suspects pulled the gun.

Fortunately, the victim suffered some only minor cuts on his head and was treated at a local hospital, Raymond said.

“Human beings have this fight or flight nature,” he said. “It could have been more serious, but at the same time it’s understandable. Some people, when faced with that type of thing, some by nature decide to stand and fight. It’s just something that’s built into people.”

Officers seized Venor’s car and recovered the gun inside, which had been stolen in a Pasco burglary, Raymond said.

For more crime news, see Friday’s Herald and tricityherald.com.

Read more here: <broken link removed>

Wow! I live not to far from here, I always felt pretty safe there. I'll have to tell my family to be prudent on security/situational awareness when at the store now.

What? So suddenly it's unsafe because one incident occurred there? It's thinking like this that lets the bad guys win. Turn in your man card at the door as you leave please.

What? So suddenly it's unsafe because one incident occurred there? It's thinking like this that lets the bad guys win. Turn in your man card at the door as you leave please.

WOW - new guy here, and I hope that this is not a normal response to a comment...

Everybody needs to keep an eye open in sketchy areas like parking lots; that's all the guy was saying.

Not trying to stir the pot, just surprised.

WOW - new guy here, and I hope that this is not a normal response to a comment...

Everybody needs to keep an eye open in sketchy areas like parking lots; that's all the guy was saying.

It's not a typical response. Or should I say it is an atypical response? :rolleyes:

If "sketchy areas" were the only places we needed to keep an eye open, there would be no surprised looking victims on the evening news. LOL

Police generally recommend victims comply with robbers' demands when in a similar situation and Raymond noted that Wednesday's incident could have had a much different outcome when the suspects pulled the gun.
yes thats right he could have been dead either way,,,,,,,,

1) There is nowhere safe in the USA today

2) Mass attack like this, even if they had not had a weapon can definitely open up the situation to a lethal defense response. I would have pulled a gun right off the bat and asked them if anyone of them wanted to try me. I've done it several times in the past and it sure shut them down immediately

Oh your so full of it! I don't believe you for a minute and think this is just some self-serving neighborhood watch captain wanna-be BS-ing. Just like the two thugs I called out in front of my house I mentioned in a particular thread a while back, and got dog-piled on. ;) :p

There he goes again! Blitz gonna light em' up!
1) There is nowhere safe in the USA today

2) Mass attack like this, even if they had not had a weapon can definitely open up the situation to a lethal defense response. I would have pulled a gun right off the bat and asked them if anyone of them wanted to try me. I've done it several times in the past and it sure shut them down immediately

Oh your so full of it! I don't believe you for a minute and think this is just some self-serving neighborhood watch captain wanna-be BS-ing. Just like the two thugs I called out in front of my house I mentioned in a particular thread a while back, and got dog-piled on. ;) :p

Maybe you weren't convincing enough, pal. BTW if you had genuine cause to pull the gun, why didn't you shoot when they came at you?

Wow! I live not to far from here, I always felt pretty safe there. I'll have to tell my family to be prudent on security/situational awareness when at the store now.

I'm at a loss as to WTF you are thinking.
It wasn't safe in the first place and sailor just got a wake up call. Or he always has his radar up and it is safe for him.
Mancard? isn't that some childish thing on the interwebbernet? Never needed one of those

Most of these things can be deterred by watching WTF is going on.We just need to tell our loved ones to park as close to everyone else as possible and watch everyone around you.

This guy,being a guy,probably parked a ways out.I always do.But he forgot to watch his surroundings.
Yeah and as far as the 'suggestion' from the cops. Not ready to comply with that

PaulZ,have you lived around Blitz or just startin' BS?

ME? start BS? perish the thought good sir! I do enjoy the BS from the North where you guys seem to wave guns around in parking lots, stores, beauty shops and your front lawns as a matter of routine:p

This was in california.. it's a madhouse. Walk a mile in my shoes before you open yer yap :s0162:

thanks to the op. i'll take it as a reminder to be more aware.
living in a small comunity we don't see this kind of thing. but if we go out to the valley I am more cautious of where I park and who's around.
as for the imediate $#!+ flinging at the op ... get a life .. didn't your momma teach you ... if don't have something nice to say ... just keep your gd mouth shut...

Maybe you weren't convincing enough, pal. BTW if you had genuine cause to pull the gun, why didn't you shoot when they came at you?

Easy there trooper, I was being sarcastic (and not towards you)! I won't rehash that old thread, but the reason I didn't shoot is for the same reason cops don't shoot EVERY TIME they draw thier weapons. The crux of the matter is that IF you pull it out, you better be WILLING to use it.... Doesn't mean you HAVE TO if the situatuon "evolves" .... Guns don't kill poeple, people kill people. ;)

thanks to the op. i'll take it as a reminder to be more aware.
living in a small comunity we don't see this kind of thing. but if we go out to the valley I am more cautious of where I park and who's around.
as for the imediate $#!+ flinging at the op ... get a life .. didn't your momma teach you ... if don't have something nice to say ... just keep your gd mouth shut...

+1 Can the personal attacks folks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads