JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Day After was definitely unnerving when it aired. For me, the movie Threads was absolutely terrifying.
Hey, thanks for the tip on Threads. I just looked up the plot on Wikipedia. It's in the rotation for my nuke holocaust binge-watch now!

The best version of Panic In Year Zero is at Amazon in DVD by Kino Lorber film distribution. I have a copy. The resolution is much better than the YouTube feed version and has some extras.

On The Beach, both the book and the current DVD, scares the heck out of people because it could actually happen.

Not long after it was released, it influenced the passing of the Atmospheric Test Ban Treaty.

...For me, the movie Threads was absolutely terrifying.

OK, that was plenty disturbing... :s0001:
Thanks for suggesting that one... I guess... o_O

Nahhh! For folks whom haven't seen it, after its over you'll feel all like:

kompressor__optimized__image__882c2bdd-befunky-collage-2019-07-08t113858.691.jpeg

...nr

OK, that was plenty disturbing... :s0001:
Thanks for suggesting that one... I guess... o_O
Like I said, terrifying; especially to a 14 year old at the time. Disturbing is another good word. Given the height of the Cold War and Reagan Era of 1984, having seen The Day After, Testament, and Special Bulletin months before, and the fear of nuclear annihilation, made Threads seem the most realistic of the bunch. Still gives me chills....

When Regan was in office, the movie/TV industry produced a bunch of End of the World movies because they were all certain that he was going to start WWIII.
Misery sells!

eh, you don't know fear until you get yer 7th grade butt up at 4:30 am to go deliver newspapers on your bicycle BY YOURSELF after watching "Night of the Living Dead" the previous evening at the theater. Every shadow looks like a Zombie that will rip your heart out, All of those few lone souls you see waking early and going to work are suspect.

eh, you don't know fear until you get yer 7th grade butt up at 4:30 am to go deliver newspapers on your bicycle BY YOURSELF after watching "Night of the Living Dead" the previous evening at the theater. Every shadow looks like a Zombie that will rip your heart out, All of those few lone souls you see waking early and going to work are suspect.
But, Bill... Zombies eat brains. What were you worried about? o_O

Last Edited:
The only bad part of On The Beach was you kept wondering WHY...no one...EVER...considered the idea of going underground with air filters to keep out the radiation, stocking up supplies for a few years...things like that. I mean they had MONTHS to prepare and all they did was party until the rads showed up. Everyone had a case of stupidity and I-Give-Up going.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top