JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I keep seeing these pictures in all the hunting articles of guys packing the skinned head or just the antlers out. Im curious if anyone has actually done this?
if your hunting a buck or bull I know your required to retain proof of sex, certainly the antlers cover that requirement but interestingly enough if you didn't want to haul a massive elk rack out one could simply haul out the ears of the bull... am I misreading the Oregon regs on that?

and then I was thinking what is the process for boning out the skull, antlers attached?
KUIU+Icon+6000+elk+pack+out.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-w3ltuH-MJ...AeFwp7TY/s640/KUIU+Icon+6000+elk+pack+out.jpg

I think they want the mount.
I believe it's the law to take the Bulls head out though.
But remember, guys that want a shoulder mount take the cap off to protect it. It's a pain though.

I would tie some orange colored surveyors tape onto the top of the antlers, just to keep from being shot by some trigger happy hunter.

I would tie some orange colored surveyors tape onto the top of the antlers, just to keep from being shot by some trigger happy hunter.
A couple years ago I said this when a editor was bringing a huge rack out of the woods in oregon. He didn't have any orange on. I said it was kinda silly to not have any. Someone replied the unit was closed to rifle,like a poacher cares:rolleyes:
Proof of sex could just be the weiner,no? Or do you have to haul out the horns?
Horns are worth a lot of money around here,so it would be worth another trip to haul them out
I forgot to drag my cow's head down last year. Was worried about it till I remembered it was 6 on a sunday night. The wardens wouldn't be out at that time of night on sunday

Proof of sex could just be the weiner,no? Or do you have to haul out the horns?
The regulation here in Oregon, as I understand it... the reproductive organ (male or female) is evidence as long as you leave it "naturally attached to one quarter of the carcass". So if one got a cow, or a spike (or otherwise did not care about keeping the antlers) they could save a lot of weight and energy by not packing out the head.

Now if one did want to keep the rack, the Oregon regulations say you have to haul out at least the animals scalp with the ears, eyes and antlers/horns attached. (paraphrased) which means many of the photos I see in hunting publications are not legal methods in Oregon (like the photo I included in my first post)

In WA there are regs depending on where you shoot as to the minimum points a bull must have to be legal, so we pretty much have to take the antlers if not the whole head to prove it was a legal shot.

Lot of guys on CL look for antlers for knife handles and are willing to trade knives for antlers if your not mounting them on the wall.

In Oregon, this is the law:
Evidence of sex for deer, elk, pronghorn antelope, bighorn sheep, or Rocky Mountain goat is:
Option 1- Either the animal's scalp which shall include the attached eyes and ears, if animal is female; or ears, antlers or horns, and eyes if the animal is male; or
Option 2 – reproductive organs (testicles, scrotum, or penis, if male; vulva or udder (mammary), if female) naturally attached to one quarter of the carcass or to another major portion of meat.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top