JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First, lots of experience with packs while hunting Wyoming, Utah, Idaho and Alaska. All before 68 birthdays, three back surgeries. All required from being rear ended by drunk driver in 98. Still upright and taking nourishment. Slowed way down. Able to tote lumber and climb ladders. Not wanting to take out a second mortar to pay for backpack. Advice in manufacturers, price and stores?

Thinking all I want is a freighter without bags. Needs good padding on hips. Drew cow elk in Starkey Experimental forest, first season. Thanks for assistance.

Last Edited:
I agree that you must try it on, but you really must go through the steps of adjusting it to your frame to really get a sense, plus put weight in it.

I ended up taking out a second mortgage and getting a Stone Glacier Evo 40/56. The whole deal weights about 5 pounds and carries heavy loads like a champ, with the meat shelf. You want to put it through its paces, including configuring the meat shelf and then re-configuring to the standard pack, before you hit the trail. It's a modular design, which means you need to know how to do all of the work to make it right. This doesn't really answer the question of a strict freighter pack, but I kid-you-not you will be amazed by how comfortable and light it is. And it carries weight better than any pack I've owned.

My packs have gotten progressively smaller and lighter as I have aged, but they still cost more.

If you have time, shop Goodwill and Value Village there in Springfield. Just picked up an outstanding Kelty frame pack for $8.
I have/had 5 frame packs, all of which served very well, but on the older ones I no longer have, I always found the padding to be lacking. Now I mostly use internal frame packs. I also picked up an Eberlestock Gunslinger for $200, and it is the most comfortable of all the frame packs I have owned.
You may need to break down and get that 2nd mortgage to find one to your liking.

If you have time, shop Goodwill and Value Village there in Springfield. Just picked up an outstanding Kelty frame pack for $8.
I have/had 5 frame packs, all of which served very well, but on the older ones I no longer have, I always found the padding to be lacking. Now I mostly use internal frame packs. I also picked up an Eberlestock Gunslinger for $200, and it is the most comfortable of all the frame packs I have owned.
You may need to break down and get that 2nd mortgage to find one to your liking.
Sadly, Value Village is gone but with search Goodwill and St Vincent. Excellent!

I have a Mystery Ranch. Son has a Kifaru. Kifaru is the best in my opinion. But it's more full pack and not just a frame. And for what it's worth I'm on Medicare. I've got two titanium knees, a pinned metal thumb joint and a mostly new shoulder. Mine from years of ice hockey. Grew up in the north country. So start hiking and scouting and best of luck next season.

I drew an archery cow for Santiam.

+1 on thrift stores. BUT..... You might be better off going onto Ebay; or making use of the milsurp MOLLE II ruck frame and suspension, no bags.... on the other hand, there's NO shelves for them; but there are gearmakers (Me.... ;) ) who could probably come up with a solution for these frames... I know Kifaru and other companies made a sort of bulk load carrier that straps onto the MOLLE frame.

Kelty made the excellent Cache Hauler backpack series, but these are discontinued now... Eberlstock makes the Mainframe pack that might work for you... that is $200 ...

I would avoid Stansports and Allen. Not sure if Alps Mountaineering is a great brand... They have a $100 frame pack with shelf. I noticed that Sandpiper of California has the Mule frame that used to be the exact same frame that was ALICE compatible from Pack Rabbit; it looks useful, you can use it as a seat as well :rolleyes: between the prices of Eberlstock and Alps Mountaineering.

Network with people you know. Find a 16-18 year old kid with nothing going on. Take him with you hunting. Teach him everything you know. If you are successful in your hunt, he can be the mule.

Pass on what you have learned and save your back ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top