Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

P3AT

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by HuskyJW, Jul 18, 2011.

1. HuskyJW

HuskyJW Vancouver, Washington New Member

So I found a P3AT that has been barely used for $219

I'm looking for a pocket carry and I don't want to break the bank....but I'm not sure if I should "pull the trigger." What do you guys think?

2. Paradox

Paradox Seattle Member

The P3AT is a good pocket gun if you understand that Kel-Tec in general makes a low cost gun with a short service life. It's not a gun you are going to be able to put thousands of rounds through and expect it to hold up to that. New ones go for $269 ish I think.

3. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

If possible, ask how it has functioned. These seem to either run fine, or need a trip back to the factory (after which, they may run fine).

I have one. Mine has functioned fine since I bought it. It's great for carrying around - but I don't like shooting it, have my doubts about .380's effectiveness, and I probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn out past seven yards (your mileage may vary).

chris61182 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

the KT site has a 'fluff and buff' section on how to smoothe up their pistols,and plenty of help available there from other users.
    my feeling is ,save some more money and get a Ruger if you can.

5. wwkii

wwkii gilchrist oregon Active Member

i have one and it jammed when i 1st got it so i shot it a bunch cleaned it and lubed it and would sit at the tv and work the slide and now it dosent jamb.

6. buick455

buick455 se portland Member

I have a p11 and I did the fluff and buff and did a full breakdown and lube. it hasn't given me any problems after the first 50 rounds or so. It has well over a thousand rounds with little decernable wear. I use light lube when I carry and when I shoot my JHP ammo but when I run it at the range I add white lithium grease to the rails (as with all my aluminum framed guns) and this keeps the wear to a minimum. These are well worth the money and I trust mine

7. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

My Ruger LCP never needed the fluff and buff. Worked out of the box.

8. buick455

buick455 se portland Member

Oh Yeah well my dad can beat up your dad:poke:

is this some kind of pissin' match? this was a question about the keltec.

What is your opinion of the keltec and from where do you get you knowledge?

9. HuskyJW

HuskyJW Vancouver, Washington New Member

I appreciate all the info guys. Alas, I think I will wait....either for a bigger price drop or for the LCP.

10. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Who cares about Brand A or Brand B. Bottom line is that the Ruger LCP is damned near the same pistol and generally doesn't need a "fluff and buff" to work. It's something to consider, along with price, support, and user experience.

11. Bajablast

Bajablast Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I have shot my friends KT P3AT a few times thinking I would get one myself. I bought the Taurus 738 TCP instead. It has a slightly better grip feel than the KT, but I would have bought the KT if I could have gotten it at the price of my TCP.

Trust me when I say that neither the KT or the TCP are pleasant to shoot. I put a couple mags worth downrange each time I go to the range to make sure it is reliable (and it is), but this gun will never be shot more than that each range session, as I have more fun and comfortable firearms to shoot.

For a pocket carry gun, the TCP (or KT or LCP for the matter) works great, very light and easily concealed. A .380 in the pocket is better than a .45 at home.

I also owned a KT PF-9, and shot 200+ problem free rounds.

I have not shot an LCP, so I have no knowledge of how it handles.

By the way, just like the KT and LCP, the TCP is made in the USA.

Just my actual information from shooting and/or owning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!