JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OP i noticed your gas system is a midlength system, i have a midlength system in my dpms LR308 recon... when i first got it, i shot it unsuppressed and remember the brass flying to about 3-4 oclock. when i threw my can on it it started ejecting at 1-2 o clock. personally, since you dont reload, i would shoot thru that ammo and ditch the brass. i highly doubt its going to hurt your gun. 308 BCGs are massive.

its possible that the ammo is hot. do you have a way to chronograph them?

My guess would be over gassing, adjustable gas block would be the correct way to fix this problem! FN figured this out a LONG time ago, why all FAL's have adjustable gas blocks! :D

I agree that it is probably over-gassing - I have had the same problem occasionally with other semi-autos; i.e., energetic extraction resulting in brass being flung a good distances, and sometimes occasional failure to extract with the rim being damages. It can also be timing which can be affected by overgassing (too much gas too soon) for which a buffer/recoil spring can help to a degree (for that ammo). I intend to get a gas regulator for the one rifle I still have that has this problem - a new kind just came out for it.

I disagree that this is why the FN-FAL has a gas regulator. The FAL has a regulator not because of over-gassing, but because of under-gassing. When the gas system and ammo and receiver get dirty enough that the action becomes sluggish and there is not enough gas pressure to reliably feed/extract, then turning the pressure up is required. Yes, the FAL is over-gassed to a degree, at the full open position, to allow it to work in those conditions, but that is on purpose, because in normal conditions it would under-gassed for dirty field conditions.

Same thing, but the inference is different - a firearm meant for self-defense, especially an infantry rifle, without a gas regulator, should work in all field conditions regardless of ammo that is within spec.

Dumb question, you listed a SSA buffer carbine kit......I can't seem to find it via google. It's a .308 kit yes?
Its SAA. From what I can tell, it's just a standard no name buffer. I got the lower already assembled with the stock, tube buffer, LPK, ect already put on it so those are the parts I didn't pick out.

.750" Ultra Low-Profile Gas Block - Three Set Screws this is the block I'm running now. I wanted to match the block to the barrel assuming they would have been designed to somewhat work together.

OP i noticed your gas system is a midlength system, i have a midlength system in my dpms LR308 recon... when i first got it, i shot it unsuppressed and remember the brass flying to about 3-4 oclock. when i threw my can on it it started ejecting at 1-2 o clock. personally, since you dont reload, i would shoot thru that ammo and ditch the brass. i highly doubt its going to hurt your gun. 308 BCGs are massive.

its possible that the ammo is hot. do you have a way to chronograph them?
I don't have a crono, I'm still fairly new to the game. I wanted a rifle length system when I was shopping for barrels but this one was going on closeout because Faxon was moving to rifle length only in their 18" barrels and it was too good of a deal to pass up on.

On the can note.. I built the gun for trying to hit coyotes a long ways away and since I don't use EP when hunting, I tried shooting it without muffs a while back. One shot and it took 2 days for my left ear to go back to "normal." Brake does a hell of a job keeping the recoil and muzzle down but DAMN does it make her noisy.

All the clues are in post #1

1) You reported that the rifle works fine with "other" ammo
2) That indicates that you have an AR308 compatible buttstock system
3) It's your ammo

It is general consensus that civilian 308 ammo is loaded hotter than military 7.62x51
This is another topic with lots of disagreement, but there are differences in the 2 types of ammo.
(and in the chambers)

So, as stated above, stick with ammo that your rifle likes.
Sell off the F&S ammo.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads