JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going to apply for a Washington CCW permit because I spend a lot of time up thier with family and friends. Is there any gotchas in getting this permit for Wa. Anything that you guys know that would be helpful. I already have an Oregon CCW. What is a good reason to put down other than I spend alot of time in Washington.
Any help/knowledge is appreciated.

James Ruby

James,
I got one of those a few years back. If I remember correctly, it was pretty simple and straightforward. I don't think that I even had to schedule an appointment. I think I just showed up, gave my fingerprints, and paid the fee. I was working up there at the time. I would assume that family is a legitimate reason for wanting a Washington permit. I went to the sheriff's office downtown Vantucky.

Washington is a shall issue state. Basically that means that if you meet the requirements, they shall issue you a License to carry concealed pistol. I would say if you passed the background check for Oregon, you should have no issue passing for Washington. You simply go to the Clark County Sheriff's department and fill out the app, get your inkless fingerprinting, pay your fee and they will send it in the mail. No special reason required.

I got mine from the Camas PD, who were also friendly and cooperative. No big hassle to get it taken care of. Just make sure to have the money correctly arranged.

OR is more restrictive with non-resident permits than WA, from what I've seen.

I am going to apply for a Washington CCW permit because I spend a lot of time up thier with family and friends. Is there any gotchas in getting this permit for Wa. Anything that you guys know that would be helpful. I already have an Oregon CCW. What is a good reason to put down other than I spend alot of time in Washington.
Any help/knowledge is appreciated.

James Ruby

The only "requirement" is that you are not a "prohibited person". Fill out the application, pay $52.25 get you fingerprints taken electronically at any (non-resident can apply at any Sheriff's office) local Sheriff's office and anywhere between a couple hours, up to 60 days (for a non-resident) you will have your CPL. Some counties will issue "on the spot", some counties will mail it in a couple days, and some counties will hold it the whole 60 days. I do not know where Clark Co is in this range.

May I suggest that you email the Sheriff's office of your choice and ask them if they will issue "while you wait" if you are in a hurry for your CPL. If you don't care, Clark Co, is the closest to you but there is nothing that suggests you have to apply at the Clark Co. Sheriff. sometimes there are advantages to using a smaller county. You do NOT need a "legitimate reason" or references of any kind. The only requirement is not being a prohibited person. RCW 9.41.070

When you apply they will give you a pamphlet that has our firearms related laws. All of RCW 9.41, and parts of the F&W law (cannot have a loaded long gun "in or on" a vehicle, even with a CPL) and the law that relates to an "Outdoor music festival". I would pay particular attention to RCW 9.41.050, 060, 270, 280, 290, and 300.

You may OC without a license pretty much anywhere you can carry with a CPL. Local governments have no say except for discharge of a firearm (other than in self defense) and the location of a retail gun store.

Carefully read RCW 9.41.300..that is where the statewide prohibited places are. Places posted by the LCB as "21 and over only" (bars), the secure area of jails and police stations, and courts, and ROOMs associated with the court. You do NOT need a CPL to enter a library, city council meeting, or the state capitol building (as long as you are OC)

You DO need a CPL to OC a LOADED pistol in a vehicle, UNLESS you qualify for an exemption in RCW 9.41.060 (much broader than ORS 166.260)

Link here: Chapter 9.41 RCW: FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS

Handgunlaw.us is also very useful

Oh, forgot to state: At least in Okanogan Co. For quick service, bring exact change, cash, US funds.

I got mine from the Camas PD, who were also friendly and cooperative. No big hassle to get it taken care of. Just make sure to have the money correctly arranged.

OR is more restrictive with non-resident permits than WA, from what I've seen.
How so? I've had an OR permit for close to 20 years now and I haven't seen much difference.

One gotcha vs Oregon is that you cannot carry into a bar or actually any establishment's area posted 21 or over.
McGrath's here in Vancouver has a sign posted at the front door as though it applies to the entire establishment, but since I know it's only for the actual bar area I ignore it.

Thank you all for the information - I paid the fees and submitted my form yesterday at Clark county sheriffs office in Vancouver. They said it would be 60 days. I am in no hurry.

James Ruby

Thank you all for the information - I paid the fees and submitted my form yesterday at Clark county sheriffs office in Vancouver. They said it would be 60 days. I am in no hurry.

James Ruby

Awesome James. When I received my out of state from Clark County it did indeed take a full 60. I think it arrived on day 61 or 62.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads