JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Another freaking permit in the works $17 a year for kayaks and inflatables.
The Marine Board listened to waterway managers such as city, county, and state parks, as well as paddling clubs and organizations, combined with individual paddlers and one thing everyone agrees on: Oregon needs more non-motorized boating access (sources: OPRD's 2017 SCORP Study, and the Marine Board's Boating Facility Six-Year Plan, in addition to public meetings and open house comments).

SB 47 is a proposed solution that will help tourism and local economies, improve safety, and provide grant funding for more single car parking, restrooms, and access to the water.

A proposed one-year permit would cost $17. $5 of those dollars would continue to fund the aquatic invasive species inspection program and the remaining $12 would go toward non-motorized boating facility access. That's $1 a month to help contribute to access improvement projects. A weekly, $5 option is also proposed, as well as a $30 two-year option.

Here is a personal response they sent me after posting my displeasure on their FB page.
csn7g56fHac97vRh2iGhZZIeegYdb0aOIOuzIHOuDX6sQp4dBhbrzHe6ucEG0W93Uh8xh-1lA&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.png
Oregon State Marine Board It's a social media policy, Kenneth. If you'd like to get engaged with legislation, please visit https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/. Marine Board bills are now in the legislative process.
&w=98&h=98&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.oregonlegislature.gov%3A443%2F_layouts%2F15%2Fimages%2Fspcommon.png
oregonlegislature.gov
Oregon State Legislature
Oregon State Legislature
  • CUxjEEfjauFuVmiV8vGLJStOrnHCKD-vjuNUSOWVNuCT6utNEDW3H_3bdqr4x2oTTKbwscQGw&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg
    Kenneth Donaldson More fees is a social issue in my world. Let's see, we four kayaks x $17 is $68 a year and how much a few years from now? I'm sick of Oregon charging me for damn near everything I do.

No matter how many kayaks you have, you only need one permit. Aquatic invasives are devastating the Willamette and they can cause economic harm for irrigation districts, not to mention loss of water access to hunters and fishermen, so of all the various taxes, I see this one as doing some good. Just my two cents.

Does it go to cleaning turds out of the willamette?

Oh, they already spent $97,000 for floating outhouses for Oregon fishermen. Why tax the people more when you had a budget of a $100,000 for floating outhouses?

How about the $50,000 oregon spent to see if public workers needed walking desks?

How about the $200,000 a year that Oregon uses to run a hotline to report government waste which has yet to get any tips that saved it money?

adding new taxes and permits is easy, finding the money by removing wasteful programs is slightly less easy. So when someone suggests we need to tax kayaks, we might want to ask "but what about all that money you wasted on walking desks?

OSMB is self funding I believe. Kayak's don't need a boat ramp. Pick the dang thing up and carry it to the water.
No matter how many kayaks you have, you only need one permit. Aquatic invasives are devastating the Willamette and they can cause economic harm for irrigation districts, not to mention loss of water access to hunters and fishermen, so of all the various taxes, I see this one as doing some good. Just my two cents.
Per operator?

OSMB is self funding I believe. Kayak's don't need a boat ramp. Pick the dang thing up and carry it to the water.

"The Marine Board is funded by motorized boat title and registration fees. Based on the number of registered boats, the agency receives federal grant funding from the US Coast Guard. The agency also applies for competitive federal grants from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Clean Vessel Act and Boating Infrastructure Grant programs. The agency also receives fuel tax dollars from the Oregon Department of Transportation based on a quadrennial survey of motorized boaters on their gasoline consumption. "

The state needs an independent board that says "that was a useless waste of tax dollars, move that to this department"

Rather than "we need more funding, raise taxes or add a permit or some other expense (I'm looking at you Art Tax)"

Another freaking permit in the works $17 a year for kayaks and inflatables.
The Marine Board listened to waterway managers such as city, county, and state parks, as well as paddling clubs and organizations, combined with individual paddlers and one thing everyone agrees on: Oregon needs more non-motorized boating access (sources: OPRD's 2017 SCORP Study, and the Marine Board's Boating Facility Six-Year Plan, in addition to public meetings and open house comments).

SB 47 is a proposed solution that will help tourism and local economies, improve safety, and provide grant funding for more single car parking, restrooms, and access to the water.

A proposed one-year permit would cost $17. $5 of those dollars would continue to fund the aquatic invasive species inspection program and the remaining $12 would go toward non-motorized boating facility access. That's $1 a month to help contribute to access improvement projects. A weekly, $5 option is also proposed, as well as a $30 two-year option.

Here is a personal response they sent me after posting my displeasure on their FB page.
View attachment 543323
Oregon State Marine Board It's a social media policy, Kenneth. If you'd like to get engaged with legislation, please visit https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/. Marine Board bills are now in the legislative process.
View attachment 543324
oregonlegislature.gov
Oregon State Legislature
Oregon State Legislature
  • View attachment 543325
    Kenneth Donaldson More fees is a social issue in my world. Let's see, we four kayaks x $17 is $68 a year and how much a few years from now? I'm sick of Oregon charging me for damn near everything I do.

And now you know why I don't hunt anymore.

I already pay for that with my other boat

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads