JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is some Heller again. It would be nice to have a Constitution lawyer in the Forum. Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. Anything I write or have written can be considered suspect.

The SCOTUS held the following: The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment. The District's total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of "arms" that Americans overwhelmingly choose for thelawful purpose of self-defense. (In lieu of a trigger lock, the DC ordinance required the firearm to be unloaded and disassembled. The SCOTUS apparently uses "trigger-lock" as an abbreviation for the entire restriction.)

In Heller, self-defense is affirmed as an inalienable right that is basis for the Second Amendment. There no text that I could find that limits this right to a certain age group. SB945, as I read it, restricts the right of young people to self-defense in the home by restricting their access to firearms. Since McDonald extends the Heller holdings to the States, the storage restrictions in SB945 could be construed to violate the Second Amendment.

None of the foregoing might apply to youth bearing arms outside the home.

All of the above is just my opinion, and needs to be analyzed by a Constitutional lawyer.

Offered for your pondering.

Here is a suggestion: Write to your local newspapers with the story of 12-year-old Kendra in Oklahoma. Emphasize that she would likely be dead now if she had been prohibited access to the family guns, as proposed in OR SB945.

The book "Atlas Shrugged" explains their agenda this way:

You cannot control law abiding citizens. You must criminalize as many actions as possible and use selective enforcement to gain control
Gun use is only a small part of the actions they are criminalizing and using selective enforcement on.
Climate change laws are their biggest success to date IMO.

There are two other semi-related bills that appear stalled:
HB2915 , tax credit for gun safe (Its for the poor!)
SB170, Requires school districts to provide firearm safety courses

Should try to get Sen. Howard to support them. If she really cares about safety, she would support these bills as well.

Unfortunately I don't think Hayward would be a good choice (yet). At least strictly from a pro 2nd side (Im in her district as well). In districts like her's we would need a strong coalition, she handily won her election with little effort. And she is a social butterfly, so her allies would have to be overcome as well. More episodes like the opposition to her vaccination stance might change that in the future. Otherwise, IMO, helping out in SD15 (Riley) might be a better use of resources.

Bah, her vaccination stance. She'd have no problem doing the same thing with guns. Just like Diane Feinstein. "Oh, I'm a Doctor Senatrix and its based on scientific research that only I should have a gun to protect myself and my family!" And idiots like her wonder why more and more people have no trust in any authority or institutions in this country.

I already have prohibited access to my firearms by my family; the ones I don't want them to touch are locked in my gun safe.

The rest are spread throughout the house, in case they need to hand out a buckshot shampoo to some crack-head who has done a poor job of victim selection.

I plan on violating the bejesus out of this law, because I have done the state one better; I actually EDUCATED my child on how to safely operate firearms so that he wouldn't use them improperly.

Please read the doormat fellas...

51Lg-tUZbDL.jpg

Last Edited:
Although I like the idea of a tax credit to buy one, I am against it. Why is government essentially wasting tax payer money by subsidizing solar power, energy efficient appliances/cars, insulation, and now possibly gun safes?
If a industry cannot support itself with reasonable prices or enough customers, then too bad. The government
should not prop them up...nor attempt to get people to "do the right thing" by giving them financial incentives.

Although I like the idea of a tax credit to buy one, I am against it. Why is government essentially wasting tax payer money by subsidizing solar power, energy efficient appliances/cars, insulation, and now possibly gun safes?
If a industry cannot support itself with reasonable prices or enough customers, then too bad. The government
should not prop them up...nor attempt to get people to "do the right thing" by giving them financial incentives.
It's a foot in the door. First they proclaim a huge problem exists and make a law to "fix" it. At the same time they "come to the rescue" with "Free Money" to help pay for safes.
Next it will be a big anti-gun talking point.

"People can't be trusted with guns without assistance and guidance from Big Brother. If Govt. has to spend money on safes then Govt. has the right to pass more gun restrictions!" they will say.

We all know that you can't fix stupid and even with mandatory gun safes with inspections and a huge Ammo Tax to pay subsidies for the sad sacks.

Occasionally a kid will still get a gun and do harm. Occasionally a kid will drink poison or ingest deadly meds or accidently hang himself on a rope swing, play with matches and kill someone with a fire etc.

Some parents just aren't responsible enough to have kids. Some responsible parents have momentary lapses of judgment or just bad luck. That's life, you can't protect against everything and it's not Big Brother's job anyway!

If we really NEED a gun safe law then where is the Medicine Lock up Law or the Poison Lock up law? That one would include garden chemicals, cleaning supplies, gasoline, booze the list would be endless but it sure would save a few lives so it would be worth it, right???

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top