JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

SB 978 was passed out of the Senate Judiciary Committee on a party line vote today.

The bill was "gut and stuffed" with the "dash-5"amendments which were not available to the public until 5PM last night.

As passed the bill will:

Force you to keep your firearms locked up. (The US Supreme Court has already ruled this to be unconstitutional.)

Hold you strictly liable for crimes committed if your gun is lost or stolen (even if you complied with parts of the mandatory lock up regulation.)

Greatly restrict youth shooting programs and events.

Make you a felon if you possess an "unserialized firearm". (Serial numbers were not required on firearms until 1968.)

Ban so called "80% lower receivers" (the bill calls them "unfinished receivers") unless they had the manufacturer's name and serial number engraved on them. If you've made a firearm out of an "80%" lower there is no provision for adding a serial number yourself. The possession of any of these finished guns will be a felony. If you currently possess any 80% lowers each one is a Class C felony.

Increase fees for concealed handgun licenses.

Allow you to be charged with a felony for simply being NEAR a "public building"or airport with a firearm even if you have a concealed handgun license. How many "public buildings" do you pass on your hunting trips?

Picking up your spouse at the airport could make you a felon. Picking up your kids at school could make you a felon unless you picked them up in a parking area.

Before the vote, the committee members were told by staff that the amendment corrected the airport issue. It did not. Whether willfully or not, the committee members were misinformed.

The language on lock ups and "unfinished receivers" is hopelessly convoluted and confusing. It will be virtually impossible for Oregonians to know when they are in compliance. The lack of any realistic definition of "unfinished receivers" will put thousands at risk for felony charges based on the whims of DA's and judges.

There is no longer any question that Oregon's elected Democrats are determined to turn Oregon gun owners into felons any way they possibly can.

The bill now goes to the full Senate floor. Please contact Oregon Senators and demand they vote against this.

action_alert_3_CC0000.png

The post SB 978 The Felon Factory appeared first on Oregon Firearms Federation.

------
Oregon Firearms Federation

It's clear they're going to ram this down our respective throats just like SB941...

More egregious legislation that'll be nearly impossible to enforce...

Pay attention, this is a lesson, we need to get involved now with the 2020 state elections and ensure this supermajority is broken...

Just sent the whole OFF posting to Mike Macanally (sp) the Albany Democrat Herold and the Corvallis Gazette Time editor . He has written a few editorials lately about gun control almost sounding like he is against a lot of it. Sent him a message earlier thanking him for at least acknowledging the issues we face but wasnt quite sure what side of the fence he is sitting on. He hasnt responded yet.

So I tried reading that mess today. What I want to know is this.

If you are a 20 year old father of 2 head of household living on your own and you own firearms does this bill now prevent you from buying ammo and accessories for your firearm? How on earth is that constitutional?

I'd think the Second Amendment Foundation would file suit like they did for I-1639 up here in Wa. I spoke to Allan Gottleib the President and he said it's going to court fairly soon.

Submitted to all members of the state senate.

While I do understand that those of you that support sb 978 do so for your own reasons (none of which truly represent the law or the best interest of your constituents), please understand that before 1968, firearms were mostly unserialized I do believe that this part of your current attack on our rights is likely aimed at 80 percent lower recievers, even that is tantamount to outlawing blocks of aluminum. Making felons of those who own firearms made before 1968 that are without serial numbers is foolish. As far as the "public building" ban on firearms carry, even with a permit, I find it reprehensible that those of you in support of this draconian bill would be willing to make felons of those of us who have bought and paid for the proper licenses to carry concealed in public, not to mention the violation of our right to open carry in the state of Oregon. When it comes to safety and locking requirements, this is redundant as responsible firearms owners do this already, generally with the exception of any firearm they are carrying and/or their home defense weapon. I can see where you may think you are being helpful in the prevention of straw purchases, however, for those who live in areas affected by a higher incidence of burglaries may find themselves responsible for crimes committed by those who may have been able to steal not only their firearms, but any locking cabinet or safe in which they are enclosed. Not to mention that this restriction has been found unconstitutional already.

The addition of the new amendments to this bill (some while it was being heard publicly) is likely illegal. The willful misinformation by the judiciary committee regarding the "public building" amendment being fixed to no longer include the restrictions of the surrounding areas near airports or other buildings is likely illegal as well. Many of the new amendments in this bill contain violations of our state and national constitutional rights, and will create many new felons. Is this what you hope to do? Because the laws within this bill will for little to prevent criminals from acting as such, but will turn many law abiding citizens into felons with the stroke of a pen. Not a good look for those seeking re-election, and a good way to drive voters into voting for the opposition.
Please reconsider this bill. It will be expensive, and largely impossible to enforce without violation of the law on behalf of the state.
Respectfully,
Tim

Maybe not as eloquent as some, but we all need to do our part.

how is owning a piece of aluminum a felony? how does this nonsense prevent bad guys from possessing guns? do they really think a criminal cares about anything???

Blasted this one off to Arnie today:

Arnie,
Thank you in advance for listening when many others won't. Right now we are facing tough times in Oregon. Unfortunately there is a lot of division with regards to certain political issues but probably none so much as the division over gun ownership in this state. Please consider these things coming from a gun owner regarding SB 978:
The results if voted in WILL absolutely without a doubt have a negative impact on all gun owners in the state.
Those in favor of the bill claim that it will create a safer state to live in. This is mere speculation. There are no statistics that prove this. Therefore, the speculated gains of passing such a bill cannot be quantified or promised to anyone.
You would be passing a bill that has certain and negative effects on all gun owners for the trade of a shot in the dark toward increased public safety.
Passing this bill removes the right for CHL holders to be present in MANY public buildings. Once again, statistics show that random mass shootings almost always take place in gun free zones. The prospect of unprotected people is attractive to murderous criminals. Why should we give them more targets?

Less than 1/2 of a murder (yes, not even a whole person) occurs per year at the hands of a CHL holder in Oregon over the last 12 years. CHL holders are statistically not a threat in Oregon. Why would we want to punish those people (This includes myself)? Making them a felon for not knowing when they were in proximity of a place or building that didn't allow guns? This could all take place without the CHL holder even getting out of their car! Talk about wrong place at the wrong time. It is ludicrous. If you read close enough, there is wording that would even disallow pepper spray in these locations. What?!

Even if a CHL happens to be aware he will be going to a gun free zone, he will simply leave his gun in his vehicle. Why would we want more guns left in vehicles? Sounds like break-in city. Sounds like making society MORE dangerous. Then the gun owner is responsible for 2 years if he can't prove it was stolen from an authorized safe.

DC vs. Heller has ruled that requiring disassembly of a gun at home or a trigger lock is Unconstitutional because it prevents a gun from being used as is intended for self defense. Therefore, passing SB978 is Unconstitutional and will only get caught up in lawsuits and move to the courts. Is not society already litigious enough? Do we need more reasons to create lawsuits?

I hope you have considered my points and remember that they are only a few of the main points against this bill which unjustly punishes law abiding gun owners for the crimes of others. Please contact me if necessary.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top