JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Traditional or modern?

round ball or maxi ball/slug?

Precussion or Flint?

personally I use a Thompson Center Hawkin (built from a kit in 1981) that has had the barrel swapped for a Green Mountain Target barrel with a 1 in 72" twist designed for round balls. It uses a preccusion cap and I prefer RWS #11's or CCI #11's I stick with real blackpowder and my hunting load is 70 grains of 3f with a .020 cotton canvas patch soaked in Moose milk and a .490 half hard round ball. The barrel has really deep .010" grooves so I need the thick patch and as a rule I make sure the barrel has fired at least 2 rounds before loading it to hunt with.

I really like my Euroarms 1863 Springfield Zouave .58. Reason is I am a Civil War buff, it looks great displayed with my 1851 Colt Navy (repro) and is deadly accurate with the Great Plains hollow base conicals. I had to change the sights for a better sight picture but 100 yard clay birds are easy. If it is you first ML though I would consider the typical Hawkin style in 50-54 caliber.

Thanks.
I have had a tc encore with the .50 for a few years. It's all scoped out. Pretty nice. I just don't know if I like those tc northwest edition. I also am on the fence with the hawkins. I'm trying to draw the juniper unit tag, for ml. So I want a accurate gun for that hunt.

Muzzleloader
■■Scopes (permanent and detachable), and sights that use batteries, artificial light or energy are not allowed during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only, except for visually impaired hunters who have a visual acuity of ≤ 20/200 with lenses or visual field of ≤ 20 degrees (a permit is required; please see page 87). Open and peep sights made from alloys, plastic, or other materials that do not have the properties described above are legal sights. Fiber optics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal.
■■It is illegal to hunt with non-lead bullets, jacketed bullets, sabots and bullets with plastic or synthetic bases during muzzleloader only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.
Conical lead or lead alloy bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter and lead or lead alloy round balls used with cloth, paper or felt patches are allowed.
■■It is illegal to hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition source during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.
■■It is illegal to hunt with pelletized powders or propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.
■■No other firearm may be used for hunting during a muzzleloader-only season. See definition on page 82.
■■Muzzleloading firearms with revolving actions are prohibited during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.
■■For muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. the muzzleloader must have an open ignition. See definition on page 82.

Modern muzzleloaders are extremely accurate as long as you do not buy a used rifle someone trashed. Rather than trying to find the best rifle, which only exists in conversations around the campfire, settle on something that fits you (length of pull, weight, caliber, budget, style, barrel length/quality, perceived or actual overall quality, etc) and instead invest time with a mentor who can help you develop a consistent (consistent is the key operative word here - not necessarily the most accurate) load and reload (which could be different!).

Then train and practice- a lot- lets say two to three times per week for 3-4 months prior to the hunt. Then when you can run a 50 yard dash to your rifle (to get ones heart rate elevated), consistently shoot it from unsupported off-hand, supported off-hand, braced kneeling, and speed kneeling at known and unknown distance paper plate targets and be able to reload while walking and do this out to 125 yards staying inside the paper plates, THEN you'll be ready for a fun, legal, and accurate muzzleloader hunt. Then even after all that you can still miss or dump your reload on the ground while moving out of the smoke to a better vantage point. Just saying...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top