JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I've been looking into buying a few knives and other such things, mostly just to collect but a few to carry with me in my pocket as well, mostly for protection in places/times I cannot carry my firearm with me.

What I'm looking for is clarification on ORS 166.240, in relation to CCW license holders such as myself.

166.240¹
Carrying of concealed weapons

(1)Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

(2)Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005 (Definitions for ORS 133.005 to 133.400 and 133.410 to 133.450), whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section. [Amended by 1977 c.454 §1; 1985 c.543 §2; 1989 c.839 §21; 1999 c.1040 §15]

Nowhere in that statute is the mention of firearms in any capacity, leading me to assume that firearms are regulated under a different statute. But I'm left wondering, do CCW licenses only pertain to firearms, or do they allow legal concealed carry of other weapons, such as those mentioned above?

In Oregon, it's called a Concealed Handgun License.... CHL. And that's what it gives you permission to do.... conceal a handgun

A CHL ie; Concealed Handgun License is just that, a Concealed handgun License.
Carrying a concealed any other weapon the rules apply just as they do to everyone else.

In Oregon, it's called a Concealed Handgun License.... CHL. And that's what it gives you permission to do.... conceal a handgun

Ben is exactly correct! I watched while a friend had his knife confiscated, the cops had no problem with his pistol and his CHL but his knife was double edged. They made it very clear that he could have been charged, then let him go!

IMHO, carry a knife all you want, but your CHL doesn't apply to it. It is for carrying a handgun.

Bigger issue: What is everyone that asks these kinds of questions doing that gets the attention from Law Enforcement?

Even larger issue: Where are you going with a knife that you can't go with a gun?

Bigger issue: What is everyone that asks these kinds of questions doing that gets the attention from Law Enforcement?

How about following the laws and wanting to know the law as we citizens are required to......asking a questions about said laws doesnt mean anyone is drawing law enforcement attention....... Very strange how you draw your conclusions

I keep seeing this type of response to questions? turning it on the poster to defend his reasoning for asking ....appears to me you are trying to insinuate that anyone that asks about the laws wants to break them...

Bigger question: whats your issue?

It should be noted that those that carry a CHL and decide to conceal a knife may lose both.
The local sheriff can based on conduct of a illegal action such as this could remove your CHL.
Why most Sheriffs wont look to remove your CHL, acting irresponsibly can and does prompt them to remove the CHL . I love having my CHL and 99% of all my family has one as well. But that is also why we need to eliminate the need for a CHL requirements. CHL here is must issue state. However they right of the sheriff to remove that CHL is kinda grey and can stem from a simple accidental discharge to a felony. Why removal of CHL's are rare I think some of the liberal anti-counties in Oregon may begin using this to remove the CHL rights. I know that next year the legislation of Dems are going to push hard for stricter requirements to get a concealed including range time which for some may be difficult and is again tearing at the fabric of the 2nd Amendment. Why some states are moving forward, Oregon and Washington are moving backwards.

Opinion: Would you say that a knife with a pocket clip that is clipped and the clip is visible is concealed ?
I don't go anywhere without a pocket knife of some kind, (Tool) and I usually have a leatherman to.

Seems like another vector 2nd amendment supporters should be working on - since the law makers all seem to think that the 2A applies only to guns. THey forget the phrase is "right to bear arms" - that means any arms, not just "fire"arms - knives, clubs, swords, daggers, saps, mace, taser, morning stars, throwing stars, nunchucks, staves, spears, and photoshopped pictures of Rosie O'Donnell and Hilary Clinton in a compromising position duct taped to a 15 foot pole... you can legally carry a pistol with a CHL almost anywhere in Oregon, with only few exceptions. But if you want less lethal options or if you want to carry a dagger, or instance, you could wind up in serious trouble. This logic is stupid.

Other states for example allow anyone with a Concealed Weapon Permit to carry any concealed weapon. But Oregon went the Concealed Handgun License route - thus limiting your choice of defensive tools quite a bit more.

There is a knife rights organizion I've heard of that has been slowly working at getting states to change their knife laws. It's another one of those sets of laws based on reaction to hollywood BS and fear mongering about "other than white" skinned people - can't have the brown people running around with switch blades and daggers, and we can't let them evil slanty-eyed types slicing people up with them thar evil ninja swords ya know... ignorant BS, and another arm in the total-control movement from the politicians.

Opinion: Would you say that a knife with a pocket clip that is clipped and the clip is visible is concealed ?
I don't go anywhere without a pocket knife of some kind, (Tool) and I usually have a leatherman to.

I read SOMETHING somewhere that indicated, at least in Oregon, that pocket clips did NOT constitute concealed. I actually thought it might have been right in the ORS, or at least case-law, but have since not been able to find anything on it. I'm not generally one to believe unsubstantiated BS, so hopefully someone else out there knows where that came from....

Whatever the case, if the knife is visible from the outside, via pocket clip and the upper bit of the knife sticking up, there's no way they can call that "concealed." So whether a picket clip on a knife offers any kind of exception or not, you should be totst fine so long as it's not concealed.

Exactly - I think they were the ones I was thinking of. I remember seeing some vids about them working on changing the laws in some states back east to end the ban on switch blades and assisted openers.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top