Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oregon City

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by wafu76, Aug 19, 2010.

1. wafu76

wafu76 Oregon City Member

Hey guys,

Lost my private shooting range and need something close for me and the daughter. Any areas around Oregon City easy to get to? Daughter is learning to drive as well as shoot so a decent road woudl be appreciated by my and my kidneys..:laugh:

Thansk,

Jeff

2. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

memaloose is about 25 miles from you. It's all paved too :)

3. wafu76

wafu76 Oregon City Member

Hey thanks...How far up the 45 road do you go? Guess I missed the cleanup. Will try and get up there and check it out.

4. Gaust

Gaust Portland Member

Follow road 45 for about 7 miles. The gravel pit on your left is the first area that is ok to shoot at. There's a few rough spots in the road but it's paved and you should be fine getting there.

5. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

i go to hillock burn.its off 211 about 20 miles from oregon city.

6. Gaust

Gaust Portland Member

Does Hillock burn have a good backstop? Could you post or PM the directions? It would be nice to find a place closer to Oregon City.

7. djgaloot

djgaloot Oregon City Member

Is this right off 211 or do you need to take a side road? what distances are possible there?
    Thanks!

8. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

you can probably do 200 yds at the quarry.also other areas out there are quite decent with no people or trash.i did hit a side road that some slobs left a big mess of shooting stuff clay pigeon boxes and trash all over the area.start looking for roads turning off after the pavement ends and youll find a spot

9. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

im going there (hillock burn)tomorrow am ,weather permitting.pm me if interested in going.thanks

10. djgaloot

djgaloot Oregon City Member

Thanks for the invite. Couldn't make it today. How was the shooting?

11. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

it was a little cold but clear and a great day. sighted in a couple rifles.

12. lyoncoeur

lyoncoeur Gladstone, Oregon New Member

What are the directions? I'd like to check out this site... How far off 211 on Hillockburn is it?
    Thanks,

13. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

follow the paved rd to end its about 10 miles.watch out for the potholes if driving a low car! i believe the first road to the left going downhill takes you to the first quarry.

14. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

You also have the shooting place south of Mollola along the river. Its difficult to find but instructions are in this forum.

It has large banks of dirt and stone out about 80 yards or so. So you can sight in a hunting rifle if you manage to get their before the place fills up with people.

15. cetme

cetme oregon city Member

a couple of us are probably going up to hillock burn tomorrow.if interested in going pm me your number and i can set you up with directions or you can follow us. somewhere around noon ....

16. OR4X4

OR4X4 Hour south of portland Member

When is the next time some of you from the OC area are planning to go shoot targets?

17. roar9roar

roar9roar Estacada, OR Member

Last I heard memaloose is closed to shooting. Rumor was forest service was worried about no backstop shooting. You might give them a call if you intend to go there. They patrol that one pretty heavy.

18. Gaust

Gaust Portland Member

For over a year the first 6.8 miles have been closed. From the gravel pit, 7 miles, onward is open to shooting. The only two spots I have found with a good backstop are the large gravel pit and a smaller/ shorter one up the road. I have not explored all the roads up there yet, there may be more.

19. jedi1354

jedi1354 downtown portland Member

i go up hillock burn fairly regularly. on the weekends a fair amount of people can be up there

20. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

I was up at Memaloose on Sunday and there were lots of folks shooting at that time. There are several smaller shooting areas after the large gravel pit at the 7 mile point. All the good ones have high banks shooting into the side of the MT.

I read a range of about 92 yards at the large gravel pit back to the furthest point. So its fine for sighting in a hunting rifle. But it will be difficult on a weekend since there are too many guns firing. A little chaotic on Sunday. Best to head up on a weekday so you can take advantage of the full length if intending to sight in a hunting rifle.

The road is paved and is very nice.