JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been looking at getting my CHL and doing some research. Everywhere I look, it seems pretty simple: get firearm safety class certification, go to sheriff's office and fill out an application and wait for it in the mail. My question is about CHL classes, do they count as a safety course? Can I do it online? Am I missing anything? Thank you in advance.

So I've been looking at getting my CHL and doing some research. Everywhere I look, it seems pretty simple: get firearm safety class certification, go to sheriff's office and fill out an application and wait for it in the mail. My question is about CHL classes, do they count as a safety course? Can I do it online? Am I missing anything? Thank you in advance.
Courses must contain details regarding pistols.

If a hunter safety course covered pistols it would be acceptable, most do not so it's not something you want to rely upon. Most CHL classes cover the dynamics of a pistol, usage and handling (albeit vague) and if you are taking a CHL course, you should verify with instructor that it will suffice for the requirement of the state.

A good class to do is somebody who offers the Utah for a few $$ more, better bang for your buck so you can get both the OR and UT. The UT is a very specific course to Utah but satiates the OR requirement if the instructor is UT certified which they must be to send in paperwork to UT.

I don't think many will advise anyone now days to take an online course unless they know the person. Some places may not take that cert as valid. You spent the same amount of time and almost the same amount of money to have it wasted on a piece of paper that is worthless.

It is really easy, especially since you are in Washington county.
Take CHL course, set up appointment with Washington county Sheriff's office through their website.
Go there and they print it on the spot no waiting for mail, took a total of less than 20 minutes at the Sheriff's office.

yes it can be done online. I did mine online using My Carry Permit it took me all of 30 mins and a test at the end. Oregon accepted my certificate from them.

That being said, I've been carrying for 9 years and have been shooting and training for 19 so I didn't NEED a handgun safety class. I used the class because it was the fastest easiest way I could get my certificate since my CHL had lapsed (moved away for over 5 years then came back). I just let it play on the car seat on my way to work and when the video stopped I took the easy test and got my certificate.

I wouldn't recommend a new shooter to blow through the online "class" and then start carrying. If you're new to carrying and shooting, please take a real course and learn firearm handling and safety before even considering carrying.

If you're safe and familiar with handguns and carrying, then use that link for the cheapest easiest online course you can take

OP,
Courses must contain details regarding pistols.
This is because an OR CHL is a Concealed HANDGUN License.

We know that because it says so right in the name. Just clarifying why the handgun portion needs to be emphasized in the training.

UT is a good permit to have. I skipped over it and got my nonresident WA permit because I happened to drive by a Douglas county SD office and thought, "What the hell... ", the two cover my travels 99.999% of the time.

Please if you're new or fairly new to firearms, handguns especially go to an actual class and learn. I've been shooting and been around guns my entire life since I was about 4 and still took the CHL course as well as a secondary intro course to handguns and later even took an expert handgun course to even further myself along. Knowledge is power.

I grew up with firearms but mostly rifle and even in the army same thing I had a handgun and knew how to use it but was definitely no expert. I learned stuff I didn't know and got better at shooting as well as handling a sidearm.

Oh yeah and +1 on getting Utah CHL as well, you ever travel or go north and carry you'll need it in Washington.

What is the cost of the actual Ore CHL? What is the official website? My searches on the net keep bringing up classes for certification.

You can for sure do it online. I did mine online for oregon.

if you're already competent with your gun and have been carrying for a while in other states, then use the online course as a loophole to get your ccw. If you're new to carrying, please take a real class.

It varies from county to county. Go to the county website and it should have the cost listed.
More specifically, see the site for your county Sheriff. They're all kind of different.

Lane County charges $65. They also have an 'appointment' system to turn in your application and proof of training; we sat for 8 months until we turned in our apps last Friday, May 7

And the CHLs were in the mail today, May 15.

Appointments with Sheriff's office in Benton County to get new or renewal CHL are now backed up three months. Used to be you could get an appointment within a week or two. They only have one person who does them, and demand has ski-rocjeted. So you might want to make your appointment accordingly.

+1 on adding the Utah permit to your class.

Make your appointment with the sheriff's office first, and then find your class. By the time your appt comes you'll have the certificate in hand. I made the mistake of taking the class and then making the appointment. Just took more time.

Please if you're new or fairly new to firearms, handguns especially go to an actual class and learn. I've been shooting and been around guns my entire life since I was about 4 and still took the CHL course as well as a secondary intro course to handguns and later even took an expert handgun course to even further myself along. Knowledge is power.
The rest of his post is great too, but I'm quoting the specific part that I think really applies here.

There are a few places that offer in-person, so definitely give those a look. I know Threat Dynamics in Sherwood is always teaching them. Email/call them and talk to Nicholas about what your wants/needs are and he'll guide you right. If he doesn't have any openings, he can recommend some other teachers/locations in the area.

I grew up with firearms but mostly rifle and even in the army same thing I had a handgun and knew how to use it but was definitely no expert. I learned stuff I didn't know and got better at shooting as well as handling a sidearm.

Oh yeah and +1 on getting Utah CHL as well, you ever travel or go north and carry you'll need it in Washington.
Agree with this 100%. The Oregon CHL course has very little to do with firearm safety and proficiency. Do yourself a favor and take an actual handgun course if you've never taken one.

Benton County CHL renewal. I called Benton County Sheriff's Office in April for the required appointment. It took a week last time; this time they were backed up four months. Got the earliest possible appointment, late August. Went in with paperwork all filled out, two forms of ID and proof of citizenship and residence, check for $50. (Its $75 starting sometime in September.) Dont forget a mask, required in the LE Building. (See website for forms and instructions.) They took my forms, check, and photo.

I received my new card in the mail about three weeks later. But it said it was issued Sept 2, one week after my appointment. But it was about three weeks before I got it.

I am VERY much against the online classes and do not believe it should be an option... I don't care what your experience level is. If you can't afford two days to go to an actual class taught by and actual certified instructor one time in your life you should not be given a CHL. I see way too many idiots at the range that have absolutely no clue about safety and should not own guns. They take a 30 min online class and now they have a concealealed carry license? These are the people that make ALL responsible gun owners look bad! These people are the biggest threat to my rights to own and carry a gun! These online CHL classes are a huge disservice to responsible gun owners!

I have taken the 2 day course not once but 3 times. First when I got my CHL 30 years ago, then when a friend wanted to get his, then when my gf wanted to get hers. I learned something EVERY time I took that class and the review was worth while and well worth the price of the class. I don't think everyone needs to take the live in person 2 day class three times but I think everyone should take it at least once before they are given a CHL!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads