JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
alright. Before i got across this topic on ar15 forum about headspacing i was pretty comfortable with this issue. Well atleast never had to worry about it because all my guns were purchased new and assembled or use and assembled. I felt pretty comfortable about buying this parts kit because all items are mil spec. but now i'm wondering. Since barrel is brand new (0 rounds through it) and bolt is semi new (0 to very little round count) should i or do i need to do headspacing?

Thirtycal
do you do it on your builds?

Yes I did check headspace on my builds, even though the general rule seems to be that you shouldn't really need to if you are using in-spec parts. Of course you never know if you're using in-spec parts until you check headspace. I got a 5.56mm Field guage from Bushmaster. Don't bother with a go/no-go since there's nothing you can do about it anyway... All you're really interested in is making sure it won't kaboom when you pull the trigger that first time - and that's exactly what a Field guage is for. And the standard military practice is to check field guage exclusively (since again, adjusting headspace isn't really practical due to chromed chamber/bore).

Here's the guage I used (Field):

HGO223G.gif

hey thirtycal what barrels are you going to use on your builds?

Originally I was going to use the Citadel barrel that came with my Gunthings kit, but I ended up finding a barrel on Gunbroker (a SAK MP B) and another on AR15's EE board (a C MP B). The Saco (SAK) was NOS with cosmoline, and the Colt barrel was in excellent condition (possibly unused). I had to pay a pretty penny for each, but it was worth it for the sake of authenticity. Here's how they turned out:

num_2_cmpc_barrel.jpg
num_1_sak_mp_barrel.jpg

left_side_half_closeup.jpg

right_side_half_closeup.jpg

m16a1_rear_side_full.jpg

How is yours coming along?

-Thirtycal

thirtycal
oh those rifles look beautiful! a little jelous here you got them all put together already. Currently i'm waiting to hear back from NoDakSpud and then wait till my lower get engraved and shipped back.
You know more and more i look at your rifles more i'm leaning toward waiting and finding original 1:12 barrel. i think i'll sell my barrel i have right now.
In the end wait will worth it!

The gun was originally designed around a 20 rd magazine and it looks way better with one inserted than the 30 rd mags

Tactically every serious AR shooter should have some 20 rd mags but that's another story

My recent experience with a Citadel barrel was not so nice. Maybe it was a second or something but IMO you didn't miss out on much

Nice call on the 20rd mags. I have tons. I mostly use them in my target AR but they are perfect for the SP1

Here is a pic of my SP1 that I got a killer deal on and a SGW A1 I use to have.

DSC04628.jpg

Blitzkrieg
completely agreed! something about that rifle makes it look so much better with 20 round mags. thats why i want one really bad....

Nwcid
Love that picture..... would you be interested in parting with one of those mags?

i'm trying to work out a deal on original colt C MP B stamped barrel right now. just barrel with front sight installed already.... hopefully for $175

My first AR build was a M16A1 (603) with a 1972 Colt M16A1 complete barreled upper & an NDS A1 lower , love the Retros and it's nice to see you guys are savy enough to use" No Tic " selectors and USGI "Seatbelt" material nylon slings ...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top