JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
UPDATED COMBINED DONATION FUND COUNT: $5250

Combined Donation Totals from both OFF, CalGuns, and reported Snail Mail donations is amounting to around $5250 out of $12,000 needed. Keep it up, folks!

Alert from Oregon Firearms Federation

Finally we have a bit of news we're happy and eager to report.

You know that we make every effort to keep our requests for donations to a responsible level. Yes, we need funds to operate, but the weekly pitches that you get from other groups are not our style. But, we are asking that you consider making a donation of whatever amount you can afford to help an Oregon Sheriff who is a true friend to gun owners.

Since the legislature has been incapable of expanding our CHL program to visitors from other states (you may recall our efforts to do that last year were shot down by Representative Judy Stiegler,) Sheriff Glenn Palmer of Grant County has decided he wants to make it as easy as possible for non-residents to apply for Oregon CHL's. He hopes to actually travel to gun shows in adjoining states and take applications there.

Palmer has been a strong advocate of gun rights, but he has a small budget and he needs some help. The sheriff would like to purchase a digital fingerprint device so he can take applicants' prints with less chance of them being rejected as unreadable.

OFF is sending him $1000.00 towards the purchase. Anything you can do to help would be appreciated. You can send him a donation directly.

In an e-mail to us yesterday the sheriff said "If they want to send it to me at 205 South Humbolt Street Canyon CIty, Or. 97820 with a note for fingerprint machine I will put it into our monthly turn over with a line to a specific account that is and will be used for the upgrade on the equipment....what ever you can come up with would be wonderful too!!!!"

Or if you prefer to donate by credit card, you can make a donation to the Oregon Firearms Educational Foundation and we will forward it to him. Be sure to note that your donation is for Sheriff Palmer. You can do that safely on line <broken link removed>. Use the drop down menu to indicate your donation is for the Foundation and any field to note it's for the Sheriff. Thanks for helping.

For myself, I've spoken to Sheriff Palmer multiple times over the last two months over multiple different issues. He is a true believer in the 2nd amendment, the right to carry, and the right to armed self defense. Where other counties in Oregon flat out refuse to issue licenses, require business reasons, and so on, Sheriff Palmer has said flat out that "Self Defense" is an "other legitimate demonstrated need". When I say "He is Oregon's most pro-gun and pro-self defense sheriff", I am not saying so lightly.

Grant County is a county of about 8500 people. Given that law enforcement and county budgets in general is getting squeezed, Sheriff Palmer cannot afford the proper LiveScan equipment, as his department been having issues with ink fingerprinting and doesn't want to give OSP a reason to reject the applications based on ink smudges and so on, as their reject rate is going higher as an encouragement to upgrade. Remote LiveScan equipment is pretty expensive, but the best way to get the licenses processed quickly and without requiring the return trip.

Any help you folks can send Sheriff Palmer on getting the remote LiveScan equipment, so he can get to the gun shows in the adjoining states to Oregon (WA, ID, NV, CA) and process your non-resident applications, would be greatly appreciated. He is also considering going to the Collectors West Gun Show in Portland Expo Center to take applications from SW Washington residents too (Since Multnomah County seems to be getting overwhelmed).

For Non-Tax Deductable Donations via CalGuns Inc/GunPal:

For Tax Deductible Donations Via Oregon Firearms Education Foundation (Make sure under type of donation use "Oregon Firearms Education Foundation" and make sure you put in "Grant County Fingerprinting" in the tribute):

<broken link removed>

If you want to snail mail a check or money order it directly to Sheriff Glenn Palmer, you can send it to:

Glenn Palmer
Grant County Sheriff's Office
205 S. Humboldt
Canyon City, OR 97820

Make sure it is paid to the order of the Grant County Sheriff's Office, and make sure to include in the memo "Fingerprinting Machine" so that it can be used for that purpose.

ofeflogo.jpg

I applaud him greatly!

I'm an LEO and I think everyone who is legally able to carry a gun, should be able to do it in all 50 states. One permit for all 50 states.

Since most LEO's don't practice with their guns much, what makes them any more ready to protect anyone than the average citizen?

Backward thinking again! ugh!

How does a sheriff traveling to out of state gun shows help anything? I mean sure it's a nice sort of customer service thing, but does anyone believe that legislators are going to consider the inconvenience placed upon out of staters if/when they next try to restrict gun rights in this state? Or will they take this sheriff's sincere and 'above and beyond' efforts into consideration somehow such that it will make a difference? I don't think so and I don't see the positive angle on this.

Sure I'd give money if it was going to a concerted and organized effort to expand reciprocity countrywide or some other, actual step forward but--honest question--how does this help anything such that it deserves 12k bucks of private money? The NRA is pretty well funded, why don't they write him a check?

How does a sheriff traveling to out of state gun shows help anything? I mean sure it's a nice sort of customer service thing, but does anyone believe that legislators are going to consider the inconvenience placed upon out of staters if/when they next try to restrict gun rights in this state? Or will they take this sheriff's sincere and 'above and beyond' efforts into consideration somehow such that it will make a difference? I don't think so and I don't see the positive angle on this.
This is about a government employee working outside the legislators and getting things done not about changing unchangable minds or working with unworkable people

Sure I'd give money if it was going to a concerted and organized effort to expand reciprocity countrywide or some other, actual step forward but--honest question--how does this help anything such that it deserves 12k bucks of private money? The NRA is pretty well funded, why don't they write him a check?

This isn't about reciprocity, what the guy is doing is thinking outside the box and within the state laws to make things easier for his fellow and man and I applaud him for it (with my wallet). :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top