Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Opinions on pocket carry 9mm, favorites?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by mccuistion, Mar 1, 2013.

1. mccuistion

mccuistion pierce county Member

Hey guys, so I'm on the market looking for a good 9mm pocket carry. I have about a $500 budget and have done a decent amount of research but I haven't had the opportunity to shoot anything yet. I'm leaning towards a Kel-Tec PF9 but would like to hear your experiences and opinions. I'm open to anything that stays true to the slim small 9mm dimensions.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and thanks in advance!

2. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

If the p938 is anything like my p238 then it is an amazing gun, but it is out of your price range. BD9 is a cool little gun, kahr pm9 and cm9, ruger lc9, kimber solo, SA emp 9, and there are a couple other nice ones out there. I would go for a kahr over an lc9/pf9 just because of the durability factor. You can shoot the kahr all day long and not tire it out. The latter two are not meant to be range guns, and will not have the longevity of a kahr.

ocarolan and (deleted member) like this.
  3. tunus

tunus PDX, United States Active Member

Have a look at the Taurus pt709 slim. Well within your budget, shoots and carries well.

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Kel Tec are junk... take a look at the Beretta Nano, Should be able to get a new one for your budget

5. mccuistion

The nano and lc9 were the other 2 I held at the shop and really liked. I'll have to look further into them. I was under the impression kel-tec being junk was a thing of the past? If that isn't the case then I'm definitely not getting a pf9 as this gun HAS to function, it will be my every day carry firearm.

Also I'm not too worried about range friendliness I have a 1911 and XD .45 for that. I'm just looking for pure carry 24/7 qualities since I really don't like carrying my other bulky handguns.

6. Ghost_2.0

Ghost_2.0 Oregon Member

Owned a pf9 before, nothing but problems and recoil is harsh. I'd vouch for the kahr cm9 perfect pocket carry

7. JamesG

JamesG Tacoma Active Member

Walther PPS if you can find one. as good if not better than a Shield.

8. Blitzkrieg

Any manufacturer that made junk in the past can do it again. I include Taurus in my list, from personal experience

Think, if you ever do really need that little piece, how desperate will the situation be? Beretta vs KT? No comparison (and I don't like all Beretta handguns either but the Nano looks good overall for a pocket pistol, they are our next purchases)

The Nano is 100% made in the USA if that matters to ya

LC9 is OK (I have 4 Ruger rifles and like them) but the Nano seems better streamlined for pocket carry

9. robertg

robertg Sandy Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I bought a PF9 and carried it for awhile, with good ammo it worked every time, but it sure wasn't fun to practice with. I now use a Kahr CM9 and it fits my hand better and it's a lot nicer to shoot.
    My advice is to buy a gun you will practice with, make sure it fits your hand.

10. Blitzkrieg

How much is a Kahr? The OPs budget is $500 ;)

11. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The CM9 (the budget version of the PM9) is well under $500. Not so with the PM9.

12. Blitzkrieg

The Nano is at most $425 distributor cost. Ya picks em and ya lives with em

13. TOVO

TOVO SW WA. Active Member

Kahr PM9. Some don't like the long trigger pull. Very accurate for a small gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

You're in Pierce county so go down to Bull's eye and rent a few guns.
    I hate send anyone to the Marksman ,but I think they still rent guns too.
    Then there is a place in Kent also.

Pocket guns are as hard to handle as big guns sometimes. So you may want to try a few out first.

15. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

I have the Springfield XD-S in .45 ACP and really like it. I am awaiting the Springfield XD-S in 9mm (ETA June 2013) such that I'll probably buy one for wifey.

Peter

16. mccuistion

I am going to bull's eye today to see what they have. yeah champion arms is in kent but they haven't got their FFL back yet have they? last time i went there to shoot it was a shanty of empty cases and a range with no ammo.

Why the negative feelings toward the marksman? I've only been there a few times but never left with a bad taste in my mouth.

As for the XD-S 9 comment i haven't looked into it but i don't think that will fall into the pocket carry dimensions i am looking for, i believe its too thick.

17. Jaybo666

Jaybo666 Clackamas Member

XDs 9mm should be the same size as the 45, 1 inch thick

18. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

Hope you have big pockets. While they may feel small in hand, they tend to feel more like a brick in your pocket.

19. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

Beretta nano or the S&W shield I opted for the nano myself and the LC9's are garbage :twocents:

20. packinmamax3

packinmamax3 SW WA Member

Walther PPS 9mm