JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find the 9MM to kick a little too much for me in any "pocket pistol." In fact, it HURTS. I love my little Ruger LCP in .380. If you cannot get it done with a .380 at close range, I suspect a 9MM would not do the job either. The LCP fits in my shirt pocket and no one knows it is there. I even carry a spare mag in that pocket, and there is still room left over.

What have you read about Kel-Tec P-11?

I had read a lot with folks bashing the P-32 and P-3AT but bought at least one of each (used) based primarily on cost. Most of the bashing usually seemed to be people who knew people that had one or they didn't even say what it was based on. I figured even if they sucked they would be fun to plink with once in a while. So far I have been pleasantly surprised and have had no issues. Admittedly I don't use them except for the occasional mag or two but the ones I have shot so far I trust enough to carry for defense. I recently bought a P-11 but haven't been to the range to let it audition. I have sold the P-32s I've owned mostly because .22 LR is a much better plinking round (and probably as adequate for personal defense).

I will likely own more based on my own experience.

I've read lots of bad.. now I am aware that those who get lemons are the most vocal, but it's LOTS of bad reviews. Here's the synopsis. There are 3 kinds of KT owners

1) Those who have had failure and got it fixed and it's good for NOW

2) Those who have had failure and can't get it fixed right in any way

3) Those who are going to have failure at some point

This was on a KT forum. You usually get what you pay for, and it's your bacon my friend.. having seen the beast up close and personal, make mine name brand reliable, please

BTW the gun salesman at Cabelas yesterday said he would never insult my intelligence by offering a KT or a Taurus.. they do not sell them. We bought a NAAs 22/magnum combo, (3rd BUG for my underwear) a PM45 and a .380 LCP, which is also only a 3rd BUG for my boots

I've owned KelTec PF9s and P11s and for a budget light weight easy to conceal gun they were just fine I didn't have any reliability issues with either. You could probobly get into one for $250 to $300 range. I now carry a Kahr CM9 as my "pocket 9 " option as it is slightly smaller for concealment purposes and the double action trigger is much smoother and superior, so to me it was worth the difference in price. Lots of good options under $500.

I asked what you heard about P11 and you talked about Kel-Tec in general and even then didn't provide any specifics.

Ford/Chevy

Import/Domestic

.45/9mm

Those topics usually get similar responses.

You said pocket gun. I have a LCP in my pocket all day every day and it's small enough that it's not noticable to me or anyone else. I just sold a S&W 642-2 38 +P that was a great gun, but didn't carry in my front levi pocket as well.

I've gone through a few pocket carry guns. I started with a Ruger LC9 with the laser sight, then I picked up a Keltec PF9 for the girlfriend, and then a Glock 27 that depending on the pants I can pocket carry. The G7 prints fairly noticeably and before that even I was concerned about printing... but here's a secret for you... NOBODY LOOKS AT POCKETS! I've been pocket carrying the small brick of a G27 for about nine months now. Large crowds, small crowds, artists, hipsters, doucherinos, target shooting with others, gun shops with owners... only one person out of thousands has ever noticed and he knew I had it on me.

Anyways, here's my overall review of what I've dealt with:

Ruger LC9: Felt great, easy to conceal, and didn't print hardly at all with the laser on it. The lasermax laser made it look like a good sized smart phone at worst. Cycled any ammo put into it with ease and just always worked. The trigger pull is pretty darn long though, and honestly I could never sort it out enough to shoot accurately. I sold the LC9, although I now regret selling it because I have read about trigger modifications online that help reduce the giant trigger pull. This guy wrote a blog about the updated trigger and he had the same complaints I had, and he managed to resolve it. Infact... this has me thinking I'll look for an LC9 again!

Keltec PF9: I've actually been impressed by this little bugger... but not for it's accuracy, haha. LOOOOOONNNG trigger pull that surprises you at the end. I've had a wide variety of friends shoot it with experience ranging from decades to not owning a pistol at all in their life... and none of them were able to shoot the gun accurately. Still, cycled ammo pretty reliably, feels good, conceals great and is ultra light weight. It's what I lug around now when I put on less than baggy pants, since I traded out the LC9 for a...

Glock 27: Most don't consider this a pocket pistol and swear up and down it's not a pocket pistol, until I pull it out of my pocket and show them. With decently baggy pants (hardly gangster baggy though) it fits easily and can be pulled out with ease. It feels great, cycles great, the trigger pulls is awesome, and it cycles ammo with perfection. Pretty darn accurate as well, I always have good groupings with it. I was thinking I was a bad shot at first with my LC9 and PF9 luck, but I picked this puppy up and tried it at the Clackamas Armory and shot a nice tight group at 10 yards first time even holding it... Disadvantages are that it is a bit heavier due to the extra ammo that is larger in size, and just being larger in general... and it doesn't pocket carry well in more snug pants, but not because it doesn't conceal or fit, but because it takes up so much of your pocket you couldn't even remotely draw it if you had to it.

I've had good luck with Kel-tec, never a single issue of any sort.

jnicola, if the g27 is a pocket gun then so are the Ruger SR compact series and M&P compacts :) I believe you could get one into a pocket, but i wouldn't want to lug it around day in & day out that way.

I can't decide on a pistol myself. i'm looking at the shield, nano, pps, maybe even the bp9cc. I would consider the pf9 but they are so light, and i want a pistol that is fun to shoot.

The Glock 27 actually has nearly identical dimensions to the LC9 excluding it's width due to the double stack. It's a lot more compact than you'd think! As for a comparison to other brands, I'm not so sure as I've not dealt with many, but generally on those guns I don't see people running the shorter lower capacity magazines or without the pinky extensions at least. It's hardly "Lugging" something around either. If adding a few lbs causes anyone to even notice, they should consider logging off and going for a jog once and a while!

RugerLC9vsGlock26-ComparisonChart-MarbleSlateSeries-MASTER3D70percent.jpg

1/4" wider, 1/4" longer, 1/4" shorter, the Glock 26 that is.

Overall, pretty comparable. It's the 1/4" wider that is a problem really, and I've only noticed it with some of these more snug pants I've been using to get the hipster chicks in my free vintage clothing van!

I've pocket carried my Taurus 24/7 compact before in my cargo shorts. It's doable, but not enjoyable. Same with the g26 that I just sold. It's too heavy to pocket carry for me. The lc9 is a nice pistol(my dad has one) but I don't like the grip. It doesn't fit my big hands, yet another reason I went with a pm9. If I was going on the large side of pocket carry it would be a shield. Thin, great trigger, and not too heavy. It comes down to what compromises you are willing to make.

Hey, if you can make it work, you should go for it. You get more rounds and you're packing a glock. For me, to carry a pistol that thick in my pocket would be prohibitive, but imo people should carry the biggest gun they can comfortably carry.

In the winter time, i used to comfortably carry a glock 23 in my coat...

I IWB an M9 now, without too much hassle. Hasn't printed obviously yet, at least not obvious enough to trigger the anti-gun progressives I meet for coffee every now and then. :)

I'm looking forward to Blitzkrieg's Nano impressions after his range trip. It seems like an interesting option too.

I carry an SR9C atm, it's comparable to the G26/G27. I've been carrying it in a crossbreed holster for quite a while now. Really accurate pistol. Never had a problem. I think the 26/27 are great choices too.

Generally speaking, the smaller single stack pistols just have more issues/complaints than the compact double stacks. The smaller double stacks aren't hugely different in size/weight so it's something to consider.

I wish FN would make a compact/10rd FNS/X

I'm using a <broken link removed> which is nearly the same thing.

I think it conceals great, i carry this every day at work and i know clients that come in/out have never seen it.

..I also dress for it too, a size larger in pants & L black un-tucked shirt.

Opinions are like bubblegums though..

I have a friend with a PPS & Reds Holster & he feels a little differently. Not even sure he uses it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top