Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

opinion on best 243

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eye on future, Jul 18, 2012.

1. eye on future

eye on future wny New Member

Hello, New here and like the looks of the site. What manufacture would you consider to be a good shooter in the 243 cal.? thanks

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Can't beat Savage for the price.

3. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

I always buy Remington 700's. But savages are good to.

4. Ought Six

Ought Six Snoqualmie Valley area Active Member

If you can find a Howa, they are excellent.

5. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

I had a adl 700 in 243 it shot ok had trigger work done to it short story I had to sell it when I got enough funds again I want to buy another 243 I went with a savage 11F with accu trigger
    I like it better than my old 700 it shoots tighter groups than the 700 did reloads or factory ammo it don't matter. The only thing I would change on my savage is stiffin up the forearm.
    Or buy it with savage accu stock. But I do love my new savage over my old adl 700.

6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Good for what?

My used Savage 110 Walmart special that I traded for a used chainsaw that has a $70 scope on it and lots of wear spots sure has taken a lot of game and can hit a pop can at 300 yards quite easy........

I say that is quite good for what I use it for.

7. eye on future

eye on future wny New Member

Thanks for the replies, I saw the walmart one and didn't know if it was different in quality than one from a gun store. I will be taking it all around with me and it will be knocked around. I had planned on looking for a used one to trade in a couple of pistols for and didn't know which make would be the best for me.

8. pilgrim7

pilgrim7 Pacific Northwest Member

Welcome to the forum!

9. Darkker

Darkker Mesa, Wa Active Member

Personally, and I'm a LONGTIME Savage shooter; I'd go Marlin X7.
    Savage has changed essentially nothing, other than shank size, and downgraded the capacity. Now they want a premium; which is fine; but for as long as I've dealt with them..No.

The X7's have a VASTLY smoother bolt, take the same threads as the small shank barrels, and have a MUCH more consistent accu-trigger. The Savage's love to Half-drop the firing pin, when you adjust them light; but within their limits. Close the bolt quickly, and you have to re-cock. Except for my old FP I use for 1K shooting, I got rid of Savage and shoot My X guns now. Marlin's trigger isn't as light, but also doesn't half drop, nor have any of the Savage creep. They do share the same crap factory stock, so call Boyds.
    $0.02

10. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

The Remington Model 7 is a compact rifle for the short(er) .243.
    Short actions seem to be the thing lately, I've had one since 1968, and they work very well.

11. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

What's is a half drop firing pin

12. lazerblazer

lazerblazer Portland Active Member

Scoped chainsaw?:bluelaugh:

13. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Got to hit the right one. Nice catch. I cant even blame that one on it being late at night.....