JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all. Looks like a nice forum. I live in Seattle. Do a lot of target shooting at Renton Fish & Game and out in the woods.

I just bought a Winchester 1892 mfg in 1902. Under the butt plate someone scratched the initials AW and 6 hash marks. Got my gears turning. Could have been at Winchester, or a hunter's tags, or...?

Any thoughts.

Thanks all.

IMG_20210430_155223.jpg

I would assume it's owners initials and deer kills ( but we know what ASSUME stands for) maybe the previous owner has some history you can research.
Good Luck let us know what you find.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

[Edit- We are doing non ODFW supported cleanups at public forests] - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

The precision of those scratchings suggests that either the original Mr Fudd, or maybe Mr Wonder put them there.
Agree. Those were done by someone who didn't care what it looked like. Factory marks will look factory. Fe here is a mark on 1913 Sauer Shotgun forend. It's really lucky those marks on the Winchester are under the buttplate where no one will see them. 87408DCC-E081-42AC-BF39-21BA48A7B790.jpeg

The indian wars officially ended in 1924. The Mexican revolution at about the same time. Wiki says the Win 1892 was popular in both those events. Those marks could be battle related?

I appreciate all the comments.
Thanks

Anything here fit your time-scale? I'm only mentioing here the Indian Wars per se. Note, however, that the Indian Wars were not an 'event', but a series of incidents - nothing like a full-on war scenario might have been. Remember, too, that your rifle is a civilian gun, not a US Army issue.

October 5, 1898: Leech Lake, Minnesota: Battle of Sugar Point; last Medal of Honor given for Indian Wars campaigns was awarded to Private Oscar Burkard of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment.

1907: Four Corners, Arizona: Two troops of the 5th Cavalry from Fort Wingate skirmish with armed Navajo men; one Navajo was killed and the rest escaped.

March 1909: Crazy Snake Rebellion, Oklahoma: Federal officials attack the Muscogee Creeks and allied Freedmen who had resisted forcible allotment and division of tribal lands by the federal government since 1901, headquartered at Hickory ceremonial grounds in Oklahoma; a two-day gun battle seriously wounded leader Chitto Harjo and quelled this rebellion.

1911: Chaco Canyon, New Mexico: A company of cavalry went from Fort Wingate to quell an alleged uprising by some Navajo.

January 19, 1911: Washoe County, Nevada: The Last Massacre occurred; a group of Shoshones and Bannocks killed four ranchers; on February 26, 1911, eight of the Indians involved in the Last Massacre were killed by a posse in the Battle of Kelley Creek; the remaining four were captured.

March 1914 – March 15, 1915: Bluff War in Utah between Ute Indians and Mormon residents.

January 9, 1918: Santa Cruz County, Arizona: The Battle of Bear Valley was fought in Southern Arizona; Army forces of the 10th Cavalry engaged and captured a band of Yaquis, after a brief firefight.

March 20–23, 1923: Posey War in Utah between Ute and Paiute Indians against Mormon residents.

Both the Renegade period and the Apache Wars ended in 1924 and brought the American Indian Wars to a close.

tac who are you thinking might have used the model 92 Winchester in these various engagements you list. As the Model 92 was NEVER a US Military weapon. We went from the Model 1884 carbine in 45-70 to the Krag in .30-40 to the Springfield 03 then 06

The Henry was used on a very limited basis in the Civil War and Teddy Roosevelt purchased some model 1895's in 30-40 for the rough riders use in the Spanish American war. the Model 94 was used to guard Military Timber interests in WWI here in the PNW. but none were ever used in combat with anyone.

You could probably get as many guesses on the initials and the hash marks as there have been guesses as to why the 1873 Winchester was left leaning against the tree in Nevada, but both were probably pretty uneventful at the time.

tac who are you thinking might have used the model 92 Winchester in these various engagements you list. As the Model 92 was NEVER a US Military weapon. We went from the Model 1884 carbine in 45-70 to the Krag in .30-40 to the Springfield 03 then 06

The Henry was used on a very limited basis in the Civil War and Teddy Roosevelt purchased some model 1895's in 30-40 for the rough riders use in the Spanish American war. the Model 94 was used to guard Military Timber interests in WWI here in the PNW. but none were ever used in combat with anyone.

It is my vague understanding that back in those days the military was more lax on what a soldier could carry - if they wanted to supply their own guns that was allowed - sometimes?

Then there were the civilians who also fought alongside the military in some engagements.

My bet though the marks are probably game animals, not humans, but it could be the latter, and maybe not just military engagements.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top