JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Yes use one for mk12 spr clone or no?

• Total voters
Reactions
So I picked up two ar15 a2 over the weekend. I was thinking about making one into a MK 12 spr clone.

One of the rifles I got was an armalitel I and the other was a colt H-bar pre ban.

I shot them both today and really like them both.

The armalite shot a little better or so it seemed. I really don't want to take the colt down to make a spr but I don't really want to do it to the armalite either.

I have mixed feelings. I really want to make a mk12spr clone but how much of one of them would I have to dismantle? I can't afford to get another ar or I would just keep them both as they are.

What do you guys think? And how much would need to be taken apart to make a mk12 spr.

Please forgive me for any spelling or grammar errors ahead of time I am posting this from my phone.

Thanks

Here is the 2 of them on the rack.

IMG_0051.JPG

To make a true Mk12 clone, you are going to put some money into those rifles. An SPR uses an 18 inch barrel and both of those are 20s. Unless you want to pay to have the barrels cut and re-threaded, the only salvageable parts are your lowers. Your uppers would have to be totally different.

You could do DMR or SAM-R clones for a little less because you'll be able to keep your barrels the way they are. A C7 clone might not be a bad idea other.

If I owned both rifles and needed a SPR clone bad, Id pick my favorite roll-mark and sell the other for an upper.

Dude, don't do it to either one! Colt and Armalite AR's like those are awesome and in the future you WILL regret chopping up either one.

Since AR parts are so cheap and plentiful, build a SPR one piece at a time so you don't kill your household budget. BTW, IMHO if it were me, put a proper A2 flash-hider on the left one, & MILSPEC FSP w/bayo lug on both of them.

;) :D

Last Edited:
Almost anything with the name Colt on it will go up in value.
Plus those Armalite 's are excellent rifles as well.

I'm kinda weird and like the almost as issued GI look those have.
Reminds me of the M16A2's we had before everyone got a M4 with rails , scopes , grips and cowbells on them...

So I'd say leave 'em alone or maybe put the additions on that Stomper suggested.
Andy

Dude, don't do it to either one! Colt and Armalite AR's like those are awesome and in the future you WILL regret chopping up either one.

Since AR parts are so cheap and plentiful, build a SPR one piece at a time so you don't kill your household budget. BTW, IMHO if it were me, put a proper A2 flash-hider on the left one, & MILSPEC FSP w/bayo lug on both of them.

;) :D

Almost anything with the name Colt on it will go up in value.
Plus those Armalite 's are excellent rifles as well.

I'm kinda weird and like the almost as issued GI look those have.
Reminds me of the M16A2's we had before everyone got a M4 with rails , scopes , grips and cowbells on them...

So I'd say leave 'em alone or maybe put the additions on that Stomper suggested.
Andy

:s0101:

Don't do it!! Stomper and Andy nailed it you will regret it later.

I'm thinking that you could buy or build an upper that is in the same spirit as an SPR or SAM-R and then just pin it on whatever lower when you want to SPR at the range. Keep your eye out for a Colt or Armalite lower and build that up and then you'll have 3.

If I were doing a faux-SPR, I'd substitute cheaper, but functional, alternatives to the actual parts. For example, using a Troy or Midwest Intustries handguard instead of a KAC.

If the OP is set on the project, I'd suggest selling one of these rifles to fund it. I doubt it would be hard to sell either of these for a pretty penny.
Stomper gave good advice about acquiring the pieces to build the next gun. One part at a time isn't expensive, if one is patient.

So I picked up two ar15 a2 over the weekend. I was thinking about making one into a MK 12 spr clone.

One of the rifles I got was an armalitel I and the other was a colt H-bar pre ban.

I shot them both today and really like them both.

The armalite shot a little better or so it seemed. I really don't want to take the colt down to make a spr but I don't really want to do it to the armalite either.

I have mixed feelings. I really want to make a mk12spr clone but how much of one of them would I have to dismantle? I can't afford to get another ar or I would just keep them both as they are.

What do you guys think? And how much would need to be taken apart to make a mk12 spr.

Please forgive me for any spelling or grammar errors ahead of time I am posting this from my phone.

Thanks
To make a MK12 you bought the wrong stuff.
As stated above Mk 12 is a flat top (A4) with a specific 18" barrel.

I would leave the A2's alone and scratch-build a Mk12.
The only alteration I would make to a bone-stock A2 is to convert it to National Match configuration using correct parts.

How much woule need to be taken apart to make a SPR clone? Pretty much everything.

The SPR has a flat top upper, adjustable stock, free float handguard, does not have the fixed front sight, an 18" barrel, as well as a few other differences.

So in short, don't modify either rifle and just start building from scratch.

Yeah I sort of happend onto the armalite I wasn't really looking for another a2 as I had just bought the colt the day before lol.

As for the spr idea I sort of happens into that as well and like the look of them but was really leaning on not tearing them down as I really like the a2.

I was just curious about taking the upper off and just putting a different one on. But I think I will leave both of them alone. I think your right if I did that I would be sick about it later on.

Guess I will save up again and start just buying parts and making an in expensive clone.

Thanks for the help with all your guys opinions and on helping me on the descion of keeping them original :).

Jp

So, you are actually cloning the SPR? Thats gonna be spensive...

To me, the SPR is like any other thing the military gets their hands on. It gets big and heavy and expensive. The F16, for example, grew by several feet and several thousand pounds once the Air Force bought it. The Bradley Fighting Vehicle went from being similar to an M113 to growing a turret with guns and missiles and soon it couldn't carry hardly any troops compared to its original design.

Did i say the wrong gun? I thought it was the spr, and when i said clone i was talking about a cheaper version/look alike. Not actually trying to build a real deal.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top