JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I talked to a Mac shop and the guys a Mac nerd in the extreme and told me he could upgrade it and get about 5-6 times the power out of it for around $600.

I took what he said and looked up the parts for it on eBay and it's only $300 and I can handle a processor and memory card/s change out.

its kinda similar to doing your own auto repair work except I'm losing on trying to keep up with how fast things change in the tech world. At the end of the day I just want to turn on the computer and use it and turn it off... do that without any problems for a year and then suddenly if you have an issue you have to spend hours of research on Google to figure out whats the best path to replace parts, upgrades or whatnot and worse with compatibility issues.

its kinda similar to doing your own auto repair work except I'm losing on trying to keep up with how fast things change in the tech world. At the end of the day I just want to turn on the computer and use it and turn it off... do that without any problems for a year and then suddenly if you have an issue you have to spend hours of research on Google to figure out whats the best path to replace parts, upgrades or whatnot and worse with compatibility issues.

I stopped working on upgrading cars and computers around the same time, so I'm with you and that why I went back to Macs after 12-14 years.

I've got a tablet and phone that recently have proclaimed themselves unusable for modern e-mail use. Says click here for the upgrade. When I do it says my phone and tablet are not compatible. Verizon has tried for some time to get me to buy new equipment, which I just didn't want to do. So then with the stroke on their software, they've made my equipment obsolete, and will force me to buy.:mad:

No, I don't know anything about servers, or versions, or anything else nerd-related. I just want to pay the money, turn the machine on, and it works.

WAYNO.

I've got a tablet and phone that recently have proclaimed themselves unusable for modern e-mail use. Says click here for the upgrade. When I do it says my phone and tablet are not compatible. Verizon has tried for some time to get me to buy new equipment, which I just didn't want to do. So then with the stroke on their software, they've made my equipment obsolete, and will force me to buy.:mad:

No, I don't know anything about servers, or versions, or anything else nerd-related. I just want to pay the money, turn the machine on, and it works.

WAYNO.
they wont usually tell you this in the store but you dont need a service plan to access the internet on any device...

they wont usually tell you this in the store but you dont need a service plan to access the internet on any device...

As lon as you have wifi that's true;).

But if your email or browsers are obsolete then it won't work for those things.

WAYNO.

What versions are your tablet and phone?

I've been fine with a Mac 2005 and MacBook 2008 until about the last 6 months and now all of the apps and browser updates are not 'supported' or compatible with my machines.

I knew Microsoft has been doing this for more then a decade but I am seriously bummed that with Steve Jobs gone Apple is now following suite.:mad:

I don't even have lag or latency issues with the hardware but every month or so another of my apps or browsers tell me they need to be updated and when it's done downloading and I go to install it I get the now infamous "You need to be running OSX 10.9 or higher" message.

I could upgrade my processors and memory on my Mac Tower for about $300 with used parts from eBay but that's not going to be an option for at least another 6 months or more depending on my job status and how much I'm making so I guess this is just a rant about software in general...

:s0146:

You can install Linux on your old Mac. It will run a lot faster.

That's all I use it with, is WiFi.

Remember when I said, "No, I don't know anything about servers, or versions, or anything else nerd-related. I just want to pay the money, turn the machine on, and it works." I was blessed to have I.T. people at work that took care of any problems. Now, all I have is my son, and he says there's nothing I can do. In the meantime, I do have other computers, and another tablet, which work fine. It was my older phone, and older tablet, that I kept for a spare in the car when traveling that no longer will work with my e-mails. Other aspects of the internet still work.

I stopped working on upgrading cars and computers around the same time, so I'm with you and that why I went back to Macs after 12-14 years.

Sorta plus one to this. My day job is in the technology field, so I'm exposed to a lot of different systems. I finally got tired of the constant upgrade cycles at home, so went in another direction to get to the "just works" zone:

• For the home workstation, it is large workstation crammed high-end hardware and running Windows 7 (64-bit). I can throw pretty much any task at it and it just crank away. There has been some minor repairs and upgrades, but not much in the five years it has been in place.
  • For the notebook, I went with a Macbook Air running, naturally, Mac OS X, but with a Boot Camp image of Windows 7 on another volume. Thankfully I don't have to travel much anymore, but packing something that light is a breeze.
  • An android tablet just because, though I hardly use it.
Perhaps not the most elegant solutions, but time is a commodity that I have very little of.

It is funny, I cut my teeth on Apple equipment back in the really old days, then abandoned them for decades, but came back when they were solid machines and, well, "just worked". ;)

Remember when I said, "No, I don't know anything about servers, or versions, or anything else nerd-related. I just want to pay the money, turn the machine on, and it works." I was blessed to have I.T. people at work that took care of any problems. Now, all I have is my son, and he says there's nothing I can do. In the meantime, I do have other computers, and another tablet, which work fine. It was my older phone, and older tablet, that I kept for a spare in the car when traveling that no longer will work with my e-mails. Other aspects of the internet still work.
uninstall, then re-install your browser

Been using Ubuntu for about 7-8 years now and haven't looked back. Its a little weird at first, but after you get used to it, it works great. Look for the "LTS" (long term support) editions. I ran version 9.xx for about 4.5 years before upgrading. Been on 14 now for 2.5.

Well, it's a game but unfortunately we have to play it. I don't buy new machines often, and my late 2012 Mac Mini keeps on working. Even my kid's 2009 Mini still works. @Joe13 I feel your pain my friend. As long as you can still be a post-machine here you're good to go right? :D

You can try Ubuntu without even installing it - download the ISO and install it as a bootable image on a thumb drive using software like Rufus. Boot from the thumb drive and instead of installing it run the OS directly from the thumb drive.

Unless you need Mac or Windows specific software (A LOT of software now runs on Linux) Ubuntu or another Linux flavor will do everything you need and do it much faster. I have it running on an ancient Dell D620 laptop and it's amazing. Installed on a SSD it boots in about 5 seconds!

You can try Ubuntu without even installing it - download the ISO and install it as a bootable image on a thumb drive using software like Rufus. Boot from the thumb drive and instead of installing it run the OS directly from the thumb drive.

Unless you need Mac or Windows specific software (A LOT of software now runs on Linux) Ubuntu or another Linux flavor will do everything you need and do it much faster. I have it running on an ancient Dell D620 laptop and it's amazing. Installed on a SSD it boots in about 5 seconds!

When Microsoft terminates Windows 7 I'm terminating Windows on all but one computer (I have several media systems) in favor of Linux.

Last Edited:
Well, it's a game but unfortunately we have to play it. I don't buy new machines often, and my late 2012 Mac Mini keeps on working. Even my kid's 2009 Mini still works. @Joe13 I feel your pain my friend. As long as you can still be a post-machine here you're good to go right? :D

Oh yea!!! (Mr. Koolaid voice):).

On my hand me down phone lol.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews